Solicitor Recommendations Needed

6 hours ago, Declan said:

I would have thought only a percentage go the legal route. 

I get lots of enquiries. I have standard advice, for free, as above. Lots of the referrals are from MHK’s as constituency business.

If they want to take it further, i advise about cost risk in small claims. They won’t be able to recover anything they pay to me.

On 4/5/2024 at 2:41 PM, A fool and his money..... said:

If it were me I'd go and pay him a visit, let him know that I don't appreciate people taking the Mick when I've done the right thing.

I see your point but not advisable really. Just more trouble. If I get your drift that is. And tenants tend to be sometimes vulnerable anyway so are on the back foot.

On 4/4/2024 at 7:29 PM, littlebushy said:

Any evidence of this?

Everyone down the pub says so, especially after a few pints. Those fookin' landlords, thier all fookin' barstards ya know.

Edited by Barlow
  • Haha 1

Question in Tynwald next week about landlord registration. Why do these things take so long?

'12. The Hon. Member for Legislative Council, Mr Mercer, to ask the Minister for Infrastructure – What progress has been made with the draft regulations and consultation necessary to implement the Landlord Registration (Private Housing) Act 2021; and if he will make a statement.'

1 hour ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Question in Tynwald next week about landlord registration. Why do these things take so long?

'12. The Hon. Member for Legislative Council, Mr Mercer, to ask the Minister for Infrastructure – What progress has been made with the draft regulations and consultation necessary to implement the Landlord Registration (Private Housing) Act 2021; and if he will make a statement.'

Probably dawning on them that a significant portion of Landlords saw this and thought, "fuck it, I'm out" and now there are no rentals.  The damage has however been done. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/5/2024 at 1:36 PM, Declan said:

You do hear of lots of people having issues getting deposits returned. I would have thought only a percentage go the legal route. 

Apparently there's a whatsapp or facebook group where local landlords exchange tips on how best to fleece tenants. 

There's a few Facebook groups on how tenants cab fuck over their landlords, especially when leaving.

On 4/11/2024 at 4:23 PM, The Phantom said:

Probably dawning on them that a significant portion of Landlords saw this and thought, "fuck it, I'm out" and now there are no rentals.  The damage has however been done. 

It comes with responsibilities and the more greedy rentiers who exit because they don’t like the idea of doing things right, the better.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2024 at 8:06 AM, ian rush said:

It comes with responsibilities and the more greedy rentiers who exit because they don’t like the idea of doing things right, the better.

Yeah but what is actually happening is that an average joe that has maybe just one property they rent, perhaps their first property that they held onto before upgrading or a property they have inherited, have also looked at the requirements and responsibilities imposed and thought, it's not worth the effort.  For people that actually have rentals as their main business or investment, it might actually be worth jumping through the hoops.  In my experience, it are those people that are worst landlords.