Government Department charges a Government Department ..

x-in-man

1 hour ago, code99 said:

Just imagine what would happen to demand for medical assistance (and demand for additional electricity supply, places to stay, coffees to drink, etc) if we had 500k visitors to the Island annually, as aspired for in the Government’s breathtaking Island Plan/ Economic Plan.

An addition 182,000 visitors spread over a year are going to make barely any difference to medical assistance, electricity supply etc.

23 minutes ago, Anthony Ingham said:

An addition 182,000 visitors spread over a year are going to make barely any difference to medical assistance, electricity supply etc.

Yup - it couldn't possibly get any shitter.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, WTF said:

so when alfs 15000 new residents arrive do we need a new hospital and the staff as the island will be at TT levels all the time ?

Well, since hospital/GPs/dentists, etc can’t keep up with the current population, you might be on to something!  🙄

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, Anthony Ingham said:

I think you and I have some crossed wires. I am talking about the IOMG's stated goal to increase the number of visitors to the Island to 500,000 annually. You are referring to a much lower number - 182,000. I don't recognise your number. 

What I am saying is that if by some minor miracle visitor numbers got anywhere near 500k, the pressure on our existing infrastructure would be enormous. I am also saying that objectives like increasing visitor numbers and also increasing the population need to be linked to other plans for larger infrastructure, which undoubtedly will have significant costs.

IMHO, the IOMG does not seem to have a coherent joined-up approach to achieving its 'big picture' goals. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, code99 said:

I think you and I have some crossed wires. I am talking about the IOMG's stated goal to increase the number of visitors to the Island to 500,000 annually. You are referring to a much lower number - 182,000. I don't recognise your number. 

What I am saying is that if by some minor miracle visitor numbers got anywhere near 500k, the pressure on our existing infrastructure would be enormous. I am also saying that objectives like increasing visitor numbers and also increasing the population need to be linked to other plans for larger infrastructure, which undoubtedly will have significant costs.

IMHO, the IOMG does not seem to have a coherent joined-up approach to achieving its 'big picture' goals. 

500k is a 182k increase on existing 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mercenary said:

500k is a 182k increase on existing 

Thanks. I must admit I am surprised: "more than 318,000 people travelled to the island in 2023, up from 275,000 in 2022" - no wonder we have so many potholes.

Not sure if I trust their numbers completely...hope there is no double counting, anyway, my view remains that a 182k increase would put pressure on our existing infrastructure.

With the recruitment drive for new residents going ahead I think we have to be very careful about whom we attract I remember a similar drive taking place in the 60s and it was very successful we got some skilled Labour and some young families but what we don’t need is a load of elderly people who think this is a peaceful place to retire to.    Before anyone jumps ….I am not being ageist, I myself will never see 80 again, but our health service , nursing homes etc, just couldn’t cope.    The problem with young families would be schools, housing and dentists.   It is a happy idea but like the tourist trade if that  were to be increased substantially where would they stay ?  

1 hour ago, code99 said:

Thanks. I must admit I am surprised: "more than 318,000 people travelled to the island in 2023, up from 275,000 in 2022" - no wonder we have so many potholes.

Not sure if I trust their numbers completely...hope there is no double counting, anyway, my view remains that a 182k increase would put pressure on our existing infrastructure.

That 318,000 will include Steamie crew reporting to and leaving duty, airport and Sea Terminal cleaners, locals returning home, patient transfers and possibly any sightings of basking sharks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

That 318,000 will include Steamie crew reporting to and leaving duty, airport and Sea Terminal cleaners, locals returning home, patient transfers and possibly any sightings of basking sharks.

That is really insightful and interesting. It makes me wonder how many tourists we actually have...(I won't bother submitting an FOI).

As I understand it they realised that the current form of low taxation generating insufficient funds to maintain public services at a modern level was simply unsustainable. Their "solution" is to attract economically active migrants to a certain number to up the tax take.

I don't recall it being put out to their joke version of "consultation" because I would have said "NO".

Put simply if the current model is unsustainable then It's the model that has to change. Just feeding it is not going to make the problem go away but will just make it bigger.

Cowards all as per...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Put simply if the current model is unsustainable then It's the model that has to change. Just feeding it is not going to make the problem go away but will just make it bigger.

Turkeys voteth not for the Festive Season...

14 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Can you provide the link for this information or just made up?

2 hours ago, P.K. said:

Cowards all as per...

But they need to feed the pyramid scheme that is the civil service pension.

31 minutes ago, Banker said:

Can you provide the link for this information or just made up?

Oh the irony. Humour bypass was successful then?

Think back to the 43,000 arrivals by air that they claimed for last year's TT and then calculate how many aircraft movements at 300 seats per flight would be required to achieve that.

7 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Think back to the 43,000 arrivals by air that they claimed for last year's TT and then calculate how many aircraft movements at 300 seats per flight would be required to achieve that.

The 43,000 estimated arrivals (technically departures) were for the total TT traffic.  It broke down to 19,257 by air and 24,015 by sea.  The overall total seems in line with the four previous surveys in 2015-2019[1], but the split looks higher for air.  This may be a change in visitor habits, but I suspect is more due to smaller sample sizes and poorer sampling techniques in 2023.

[1]  The 2022 figures don't seem to have been based on a passenger survey, so I'm ignoring them.