Tower of refuge walk

2 hours ago, Barlow said:

There are many super pictures of this event on Facebook. Anything that takes 100s of people away from TV and their phones, mostly young folk, has got to be a great thing.

Well done all involved.

Photo by Dave Lewin, Facebook

438172512_10163456664514097_296115543786

That’s a fantastic photograph. Really shows the size of conister rock which actually surprised me. 

On 5/9/2024 at 8:44 PM, Anthony Ingham said:

Those people are idiots.

Not necessarily. An intelligent enough person may reasonably enough deduce the tide one day is similar to the tide the next day, and even read a tide table that there might be about an hour difference. Whereas it is more likely the day after next is nearer the low tide height, and two hours difference. Then there is the wind direction and atmospheric pressure to consider.

Through scuba diving, I can speak for hours about my experiences with tides and tide tables. I am great fun at parties by the way 

On 5/9/2024 at 9:16 PM, Dirty Buggane said:

Since they put in the access road road to install the landing pier (due to health a safety access fears) when people go to change a lamp. Load of bollock's,it is easier to walk to than navigating the pothole strewn roads these days. Old days you had to walk on the sewer pipe as it was not dry all the way.

Yes, walked out a few times as a kid along the sewer pipe. As you say, it wasn't dry the whole way and the tide turns pretty quickly, so time at the tower was limited. Also kayaked out a few times, which gave more time, alongside many who hired rowing boats to get there. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2024 at 11:37 AM, thommo2010 said:

It has got so popular because people want to be seen to be doing the in thing, take pictures put them on social media, get likes, get the dopamine hit

Sorry, but......"oh fuck off".

It's popular because it is a great thing to do, it's fun,  It is simple, etc etc.

Are you worrying about it potentially taking the precious police 'away from their donuts'   ...?

I'll say it again (on this matter only, sir) "Oh fuck off"

Edited by Barlow
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Barlow said:

Sorry, but......"oh fuck off".

It's popular because it is a great thing to do, it's fun,  It is simple, etc etc.

Are you worrying about it potentially taking the precious police 'away from their donuts'   ...?

I'll say it again (on this matter only, sir) "Oh fuck off"

such a tired cliche doughnuts

it's kebabs and pasties mate 

• Haha 2

I'm not denying your concern, and I suppose every police person in the land has said "it's an accident waiting to happen" and no doubt such an event has the police on standby, at a time when the police need to do some of their ever mounting paperwork or indeed sat in their squad cars eating their proverbial pasties.

It's just that all things considered, I don't really see much room for negativity on this event.

5 minutes ago, Barlow said:

I'm not denying your concern, and I suppose every police person in the land has said "it's an accident waiting to happen" and no doubt such an event has the police on standby, at a time when the police need to do some of their ever mounting paperwork or indeed sat in their squad cars eating their proverbial pasties.

It's just that all things considered, I don't really see much room for negativity on this event.

not quite sure what you are on about, never heard it mentioned once and not even sure if any police are deployed to it.

4 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

not quite sure what you are on about, never heard it mentioned once and not even sure if any police are deployed to it.

Unless one of the walkers happens to have a fivers worth of weed on him. Then you'll have police helicopters/boats/dogs out in force...

51 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Unless one of the walkers happens to have a fivers worth of weed on him. Then you'll have police helicopters/boats/dogs out in force...

You say that, yet you can walk through any town any day and be almost guaranteed to smell people smoking and the police aren’t that arsed.

They do use it as an excuse to prosecute people who have a list of offences as long as their arm though.

I don’t really see a pattern of people being prosecuted JUST for having a bit of weed on them.

18 hours ago, Passing Time said:

Need to get those arrest stats up for the Christmas bonus 

• Haha 2

On 5/10/2024 at 10:36 AM, Jarndyce said:

Out of interest: do you see yourself (and finlo, perhaps)as a sort of Nietzscheian Übermensch?

More de Bono, I'd say. All that lateral finkin innit. 

2 hours ago, quilp said:
On 5/10/2024 at 10:36 AM, Jarndyce said:

Out of interest: do you see yourself (and finlo, perhaps)as a sort of Nietzscheian Übermensch?

More de Bono, I'd say. All that lateral finkin innit

It was more to do with Phantom’s apparent attitude to a high percentage of fellow travellers…