"rock The Rock"

...a few quick questions (and before anyone gets the arse, I'd LOVE it to happen here)

1. 35,000 people ? Who came up with this figure ? It's half the Island ffs ! And don 't tell me more than a few thousand would travel from the UK cos they wouldn't. They have too many quality Events to choose from over there, "V", Reading and Leeds, Glasto, Big Chill, T in the Park. And the extra travel expense would put people off.

2. Noble's Park ? Strange choice of Venue I'd say. And let's say if, and boy is it a big IF, you sold 35,000 Tickets, do you really think Nobles could fit them in ? Along with all the Backstage equipment, Vans, power supply, changing rooms, toilets, parking etc etc ? No way.

3. The "Who would you like poll" ? Me ? I'd like Embrace, Artic Monkets, Kaiser Chiefs, Moby, DJ Derrick Carter and Daft Punk. What I'd get will be very different. Seeing U2 in that poll really made me chuckle.

4. The IOM Government / Douglas Corporation / "powers that be". Just see how much *proper* assistance they end up giving out. I know from experience.

To summise, in my humble opinion, and it surely is only that, the organisers want to get a bit more realistic with what they are trying to put on. As I've stated in another thread, a very good mate of mine is Co-Organiser of "Jersey Live". I know just how many people, man hours, time, effort and money goes into it. It's almost a Full Time job all year round for numerous people.

I will state, however, that I hope I'm wrong and a sincere good luck to those attempting the event. I will be that come rain nor shine (my moneys on rain btw ;) )...

...GOMH*...

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the isle of man is a great venue which is used to having over 35k extra people here (for TT).

Nobles park is completely the wrong place to have it though.

needs to be out of town where a proper venue can be erected. plenty of fields about on the island!!!

• 2 weeks later...
...a few quick questions (and before anyone gets the arse, I'd LOVE it to happen here)

1. 35,000 people ? Who came up with this figure ? It's half the Island ffs ! And don 't tell me more than a few thousand would travel from the UK cos they wouldn't. They have too many quality Events to choose from over there, "V", Reading and Leeds, Glasto, Big Chill, T in the Park. And the extra travel expense would put people off.

2. Noble's Park ? Strange choice of Venue I'd say. And let's say if, and boy is it a big IF, you sold 35,000 Tickets, do you really think Nobles could fit them in ? Along with all the Backstage equipment, Vans, power supply, changing rooms, toilets, parking etc etc ? No way.

3. The "Who would you like poll" ? Me ? I'd like Embrace, Artic Monkets, Kaiser Chiefs, Moby, DJ Derrick Carter and Daft Punk. What I'd get will be very different. Seeing U2 in that poll really made me chuckle.

4. The IOM Government / Douglas Corporation / "powers that be". Just see how much *proper* assistance they end up giving out. I know from experience.

To summise, in my humble opinion, and it surely is only that, the organisers want to get a bit more realistic with what they are trying to put on. As I've stated in another thread, a very good mate of mine is Co-Organiser of "Jersey Live". I know just how many people, man hours, time, effort and money goes into it. It's almost a Full Time job all year round for numerous people.

I will state, however, that I hope I'm wrong and a sincere good luck to those attempting the event. I will be that come rain nor shine (my moneys on rain btw ;) )...

...GOMH*...

Quiet agree with points here,

this rock the rock is just someone wanting to to make a name for themselves. anyone can 'aproach' a band and stick it in the paper...ooooooooooooooooooooo coldplay have been approached, well i approached elton john once at a screening in london and he told me to fcuk off....

if this thing is so credible, why are there no names or contact details? exactly, its a load of bollix.

got to admit, the weekly chart update on thier siite does make them look a bit unprofessional.

the latest statement:

"This weeks chart now includes the Top 50 'Unlisted' artists as suggested by you! It also sees Bon Jovi out of the Top 10, falling behind The Kooks and Kaiser Chiefs - but for how long?" :lol:

Jersey Live is probably the best comparrison, they have some superb bands on and the capacity there is 7,500.

Agreed

I can see what they're doing. They're trying to drum up interest. With some interest, they're far more likely to get backing and bands interested I suppose. Without that, they'd just have to come up with a lot of dosh.

...GOMH*...

It's clearly a fantasy, which is a shame.

Jersey Live is probably the best comparrison, they have some superb bands on and the capacity there is 7,500.

Or maybe a "niche" festival like All Tomorrow's Partys, the Bestival, or Cropady would get people to travel. I can't see many travelling to see band's that are playing the Festival circuit anyway - if they are at V or Reading or Glastonbury why go the extra expense of travelling. But turn it into an event with bands people won't see elsewhere, that all attract a simillar audience and people will travel.

Either that or secure U2's only European gig next year.

I think if they pull it off next year, 'Rock The Rock' could be pretty huge. Even if they could get jst 2 of their 'top 10' artists it wud be cool. Altho, as ppl have said, Nobles Park is the worst place for it, i'm sure a farmer on the IOM won't mind giving up his field for a weekend for a fairly large sum of money. OK, it will most likely get wrecked but 35,000 ppl in nobles park......yea..right...

I think if they pull it off next year, 'Rock The Rock' could be pretty huge. Even if they could get jst 2 of their 'top 10' artists it wud be cool. Altho, as ppl have said, Nobles Park is the worst place for it, i'm sure a farmer on the IOM won't mind giving up his field for a weekend for a fairly large sum of money. OK, it will most likely get wrecked but 35,000 ppl in nobles park......yea..right...

If you look at the thread on manxbands.co.uk this has already been discussed in some details. If they only get 2 of those top bands nobody is going to travel to Island to see them because they could just go and see them somewhere else for a lot less Unless of course you get U2 only European gig of the year (not going to happen in a million years).....they really are living in a dreamworld.

totally agree with the godfather here. the 35K people in nobles is possible but that's working on the same theory that everyone stands side by side, doesn't move and there's no stage/sound tower/portaloos/beer tents/cash machines/back stage area etc etc. And things like cash machines will have to be installed as the closest ones will be shoprite or onchan and I can gaurentee (balls to spelling) the queues to get in will be backed up to onchan just to get in to the place with 35,000 people.

I've mentioned over on manxbands, which I hope the organisors have taken note of. Why not have something like Guilfest. the cash they spend on Coldplay, U2, BonJovi etc could be used to book 8 odd really top acts. Bring the costs down, just make it a 5-8 thousand ticket event. that's facking loads of people.

Modey that chart thing is a f**king joke. I've read a couple of their press statements as though if Coldplay or Robbie Williams come out on top they will actually be booked. I'm sorry but as a comparison Scissor Sisters cost £400K to do Glasto last year (or year before which ever one it was) and they've only just got their 1st number one in the UK . How much do you think U2 or Coldplay would be? ? ?

I'm the same as Godfather,. if it goes ahead I'll get my ticket like it was gold dust. BUt I remain sceptic for now.

Modey that chart thing is a f**king joke. I've read a couple of their press statements as though if Coldplay or Robbie Williams come out on top they will actually be booked. I'm sorry but as a comparison Scissor Sisters cost £400K to do Glasto last year (or year before which ever one it was) and they've only just got their 1st number one in the UK .

Erm, Scissor Sisters are playing The Point in Dublin soon. The Point is 8500 people maximum, and the ticket prices are 38.70-49.50 euros. Assuming it was 50/50% (it is not but...), if the consert sells out, total takings will be just over £250,000. From that the band has to be paid and the venue has to make money. If the band (plus support, roadies etc.) cost £100,000 I would be surprised.

Been involved in a big bash birthday party and an unknown band from the 80's cost Stg70K, (the other choice was a name I have heard of but have no idea what they have played, they would cost 125K plus sound and lighting)so I can't see SS or Coldplay being happy with the 100,000 unless it is an add on to an existing tour with little or no additional cost.

Bestival - Ahhhh Bestival, the BEST festival I have ever been to! I only saw 2 'name bands', 1 or 2 'name DJs' and I had the best festival I have ever had. The Isle of Man is too crap to have a festival of any worth, the police would have a field day busting people for a few joints or a couple of pills.

Big name bands only cause crowd surges at small festivals, I wouldnt bother with a highly organised Manx festival because I know the Isle of Man and the pathetic nanny, lizard loving, state it is.

I mentioned in the music section that I didnt think this would work and I am even more sure of it now I've just returned from Bestival. Did I mention my daughter was at the wedding of the lead singer of the Scissor Sisters? (he married his own image in a mirror in case you were wondering)

I wonder have the organisers done ANY research? or have they ever even been to a festival? I wouldnt really class V as a festival, V is more of a pop concert with camping.

Still PMSL at Robbie Williams for Rock da Rock - FFS.

Ahh bless festival snobbery! It's not a festival unless everyones mashed off their faces and prancing round in bad fancy dress?

Give us a break eh?

Good point well made. Personally I could do without mingling with the great unwashed who would belittle my experience because I wasnt off my head. I wish the organisers good luck in their attempts and hope that they manage to pull something off...its got to be better than nothing right???

Archived