[BBC News] Plans for £4m black spot solution

Newsbot

better to build a bridge to the mainland, so I can get off this awful, smallminded little backwater every weekend .The Island makes small town America look sophisticated.

I wonder how far they could build it with the 40m for the runway instead?

If we could get it most of the way they could put a ramp at the end and we could all jump for it?

"If you don't like it........................."
:P
  • Like 1

better to build a bridge to the mainland, so I can get off this awful, smallminded little backwater every weekend .The Island makes small town America look sophisticated.

Yes, if only we were as sophisticated as those across the water in the North-west of England. Towns like Heysham, Blackburn and Blackpool are truly admired throughout the World.

Yes, if only we were as sophisticated as those across the water in the North-west of England. Towns like Heysham, Blackburn and Blackpool are truly admired throughout the World.

To add to your list, Salford also has the reputation of being a sophisticated mix of Rome, Paris and Vienna.

I would favour a tunnel as we would not get blown off it in the Winter.

• 15 years later...
23 minutes ago, newaccount said:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/isle_of_man/7481318.stm

Why didn't the above scheme happen ?

The pub is going to be derelict soon. Will look good on TV 😉

Because  its not an accident blackspot , the traffic moves freely and the scheme was another grandious  DOI double roundabout  probably with traffic lights which would have buggered up the approach to Douglas , 

the present quarter bridge works pretty well  and if it aint broke it don't need fixing , 

anyway were broke so don't be giving the DOI crayonistas any ideas 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, newaccount said:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/isle_of_man/7481318.stm

Why didn't the above scheme happen ?

The pub is going to be derelict soon. Will look good on TV 😉

It was shelved when the VAT review hit. If I remember, it was proposed to take 3.5 years.

• Confused 1

Another attempt at the necro-bump record, I see.

I seem to remember that even Phil Gawne when Minister (the first time) saw how pointless this was and killed it off.  But of course, rather than deciding to do something useful with the pub buildings and land, the Sea Terminal Mafia just left them to rot.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I seem to remember that even Phil Gawne when Minister (the first time) saw how pointless this was and killed it off.  But of course, rather than deciding to do something useful with the pub buildings and land, the Sea Terminal Mafia just left them to rot.

It will only be on the back-burner, along with the Vicarage Rd - Ballafletcher flyover. One cannot part DOI from their glory projects.

• Haha 1

On 1/5/2024 at 10:49 AM, Non-Believer said:

It will only be on the back-burner, along with the Vicarage Rd - Ballafletcher flyover. One cannot part DOI from their glory projects.

Bunch of tossers one and all. And every one of them may or not be an engineer of bullshit.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

If Salford does not like living here he or she or they should do one and be a miserable bastard, bastido, etc, etc, somewhere else I am sure they will not be missed one little bit.

Salford might be anywhere by now. It was 2008.

• Haha 1

On 1/4/2024 at 11:36 PM, Roger Mexico said:

I don't see anything wrong with the practice. Interesting to be reminded of what was going on in the dim and distant. Then there are the complaints about starting new threads when there's one already established. Can't have it both ways........