Fact Or Fiction?

Mission

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morris knows very little about chimps.

Jane Goodall, however, knows rather more, and this is what she says:

In general chimpanzees do not like to swim. Chimpanzees have stocky bodies that prevent them from being strong swimmers. Many chimpanzees, however, enjoy splashing around and playing in water.

"In general they don't like to swim" is not really saying anything definitive is it? Or is that what a chimp told her one day? Frankly Sebrof, I'll take the word of a Zoologist (who actually probably does know about apes having studied the naked variant quite extensively) over an Environmentalist any day. Especially as we humans, who share so much of their dna, have to learn to swim. That's not to say chimps may not be capable of it in extremis, just like us in fact, but as they don't have swimming instructors or lifeguards I think I'll hang in with Desmond on this one.

If my memory serves me correctly, when the Kariba Dam was built, and thousands of animals had to be rescued from islands formed by the rising waters, it was found that all of them could swim, even if not a very long way.

S

Surely all the animals that couldn't swim had already drowned? :rolleyes:

Morris knows very little about chimps.

Jane Goodall, however, knows rather more, and this is what she says:

In general chimpanzees do not like to swim. Chimpanzees have stocky bodies that prevent them from being strong swimmers. Many chimpanzees, however, enjoy splashing around and playing in water.

"In general they don't like to swim" is not really saying anything definitive is it? Or is that what a chimp told her one day? Frankly Sebrof, I'll take the word of a Zoologist (who actually probably does know about apes having studied the naked variant quite extensively) over an Environmentalist any day. Especially as we humans, who share so much of their dna, have to learn to swim. That's not to say chimps may not be capable of it in extremis, just like us in fact, but as they don't have swimming instructors or lifeguards I think I'll hang in with Desmond on this one.

You don't seem to know much about either. Goodall was the world's foremost authority on chimps, and probably still is. She and her then husband, Hugo van Lawick, spent many years in Tanzania studying three generations of wild chimps at close quarters. Nobody knew more about them than those two.

Morris, on the other hand, "observed" chimps in London zoo.

There really isn't any comparison.

S

What about jeopardous?

Is that a word though, or did you just make it up? Surely you mean jeopardizing?

No, I think I win the coconut. My Shorter Oxford Dictionary says:

Jeopardous, a. 1451. Also - ious (1502) f. JEOPARD (Y- ous) 1. Fraught with risk - 1661. 2. Venturesome - 1593.

I had a bad moment when I couldn't find it in Collins though.

Indeed. Try these out (blatent cut and paste, lol... )

apodous, antropodous, blizzardous, cogitabundous, decapodous, frondous, gastropodous, heteropodous, hybridous, iodous, isopodous, jeopardous, lagopodous, lignipodous, molybdous, mucidous, multifidous, nefandous, nodous, octapodous, palladous, paludous, pudendous, repandous, rhodous, sauropodous, staganopodous, tetrapodous, thamphipodous, tylopodous, vanadous and voudous.

Archived