G20 Protests London

Amadeus

What the police were faced with was not a demonstration, it was a riot. They responded with remarkable restraint.

To be fair Rog they were hardly riots. Now go back to 1990 Poll Tax Riots - those were riots. I think the police (and I was too) were expecting it to be on a much larger scale of destruction and violence than there actually was. I'm pretty sure a few of the police were ready for a bit of a scrap and lashed out thinking it was going to go off big time, maybe the adrenaline got the better of them, but their training should allow some restraint. IMO the demonstrators showed considerable restraint at G20, I thought it would have been a lot worse and on a par with 1990.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What the police were faced with was not a demonstration, it was a riot. They responded with remarkable restraint.

Riot? Does this look like a riot to you?

boe009.jpg

50% of the people on the day were peaceful hippy treehugger types, 50% were photographers & other media - and then there were two blokes who smashed a window in - that was it. The only "Riot" I found was this one, played on full blast through some old stereo.

The cops on the day, however, were giving out quite different vibes - just look at the proper kettling exercise at the BoE & the subsequent fuck-ups by Met officers.

Can I recommend you watch the current episode of Newswipe?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00jw...swipe_Episode_4

Not only is it a brilliant program (thanks Slim, wouldn't have known it was on if you hadn't posted about it..), but it also shows that the "Riot" was a pretty peaceful protest - unfortunately, peaceful doesn't look good on telly...

Reuters link

The head of the country's police watchdog said on Sunday he had serious concerns about the policing of demonstrations after a series of allegations about police violence during protests at the G20 summit this month.

Nick Hardwick, chairman of the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC), told The Observer newspaper there should be a national debate over how police maintain public order.

"It's got to be a democratic political question about how do we want to be policed," he said.

Hardwick said the allegations of excessive force by police, and claims that some officers failed to display identification numbers correctly, raised questions about whether police were crossing the line between being public servants or masters.

Police chief defends tactics

Well he would woudltn he.......

"policing of protests in the UK was "proportionate" and recent criticisms had lacked objectivity and perspective. "

Someone died (at what looks like the hands of the police) and there many videos of people being attacked by the police, how can he say they did a good job!

• 2 weeks later...

G20 officer resigns over comment

A Metropolitan Police officer has resigned over inappropriate comments on a website about the G20 protest, acting Deputy Commissioner Tim Godwin said.

Pc Hayter, from the Royal protection unit, allegedly wrote: "I see my lot have murdered someone again." Full story.

A strange comment from an officer trained and authorised to carry firearms and use them.

A Metropolitan Police officer has resigned over inappropriate comments on a website about the G20 protest, acting Deputy Commissioner Tim Godwin said.

Pc Hayter, from the Royal protection unit, allegedly wrote: "I see my lot have murdered someone again." Full story.

A strange comment from an officer trained and authorised to carry firearms and use them.

Considering the 'other officer's' comments about bashing hippies, he should have lost his job as soon as those comments were discovered. Regardless of what I think of the police, if they are supposedly acting in the public interest then then such a person shouldn't be in the police.

But as for Hayter's comments, the police have murdered someone, yet again. I assume he is referring to De Menezes.

• 2 years later...

Tomlinson case looks more and more like at least manslaughter.

BBC Link

G20 death was not heart attack

A new post mortem says Ian Tomlinson died from an abdominal haemorrhage not a heart attack after contact with police during the G20 protests.

Unlawful killing.

Not surprised at all.

Considering the 'other officer's' comments about bashing hippies, he should have lost his job as soon as those comments were discovered. Regardless of what I think of the police, if they are supposedly acting in the public interest then then such a person shouldn't be in the police.

But as for Hayter's comments, the police have murdered someone, yet again. I assume he is referring to De Menezes.

Or Blair Peach? (hope I've spelt his name right)

Archived