G20 Protests London

Amadeus

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The police officer involved has come forward and made himself known.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england...don/7990423.stm

"At the moment the investigation is focused on identifying the officers in the footage. Several have already come forward and all efforts are being made to trace those who haven't."

It's not rocket science for the cops to spot them, after all - they work at the station.

It's not rocket science for the cops to spot them, after all - they work at the station.

Dick. They bus them in from all over, issue them an "MP" helmet and shield and then in they go.

Dick. They bus them in from all over, issue them an "MP" helmet and shield and then in they go.

Knob. They still work at stations and their faces are plastered all over the media.

Knob. They still work at stations and their faces are plastered all over the media.

Dick. Look at the pictures again knobhead. All you can see of the individual in question are their eyes.

So tell me again Albert, your campaign against "Big Brother" (there for your protection) and ID cards with central issues like Retina ID, how is that going - exactly???

All you can see of the individual in question are their eyes.

fresh pictures suggested he had removed his shoulder number and covered his face with a balaclava before hitting Ian Tomlinson with a baton and pushing him to the ground last week.

The Guardian

Why is there so much ambiguity over the criminal nature of this. A man was assaulted, that is known. And it is almost certain or certain that he was assaulted by the police. The faster this gets looks into the better. I can't say I have any desire to see the scumbags save face by dealing with this immediately as a criminal incident, but this will have big implications if the government and police dither about how they are going to deal with this. It isn't that long ago that the De Menezes blunder really showed just how little the police and government have any consideration for the pretence of democracy.

If a pissed-up yob smacks a random passer-by with no provocation, knocks him to the ground and the passer-by dies of a heart attack 10 minutes later, the yob would be charged with manslaughter.

If a Policeman does the same thing (after having apparently removed his numbers and covering his face) with no provocation he should face the same charge.

And why did it take this officer so long to make himself known to his superiors?

The whole incident is sickening.

I would be very surprised if there was no arrest for assault.

The Times article, the accounts of Police behavior in general from seemingly credible eye-witnesses, point to this being a symptom of a deeper problem (which you touched on in your post back up the thread). Now that these stories are again being reported and believed the Police will be under much greater press scrutiny for the moment, in general. Any reports of Police violence will be taken more seriously for the moment. Especially if this is a difficult summer. The public mood is shifting and the press will reflect that.

There will ultimately be calls for changes / reforms which will be about changing the culture and restoring faith in the Police. But I cannot help wondering whether this story would be running differently if they had been caught beating up an illegal immigrant.

I would be very surprised if there was no arrest for assault.

The Times article, the accounts of Police behavior in general from seemingly credible eye-witnesses, point to this being a symptom of a deeper problem (which you touched on in your post back up the thread). Now that these stories are again being reported and believed the Police will be under much greater press scrutiny for the moment, in general. Any reports of Police violence will be taken more seriously for the moment. Especially if this is a difficult summer. The public mood is shifting and the press will reflect that.

There will ultimately be calls for changes / reforms which will be about changing the culture and restoring faith in the Police. But I cannot help wondering whether this story would be running differently if they had been caught beating up an illegal immigrant.

There's little accountability it seems, and that needs to be addressed IMO, maybe this will be one of those times.

Though there were the same calls over Jean Charles De Menezes, and look what happened over that...they murdered the wrong bloke. Mind you I heard they were really after his brother, Dennis De Menezes.

There's little accountability it seems, and that needs to be addressed IMO, maybe this will be one of those times.

Though there were the same calls over Jean Charles De Menezes, and look what happened over that...they murdered the wrong bloke. Mind you I heard they were really after his brother, Dennis De Menezes.

They murdered the wrong guy, a massive mistake and then really made the consequences even worse with cover-ups and dithering over whether inquests are needed or not and where responsibility lies.

Archived