Kaiser Chiefs At The Villa

alibaba

Even if it's staff are taking tickets for their mates in front of other punters? Is that really what you're saying?

I honestly can't see how you have arrived at this view. I didn't make more than a token effort to get tickets in the end, but if you advertise three sales channels and two of them don't work, you think that's the system working fine? How can it be?

If staff are selling 50 to their mates, then yeah, that's wrong. I don't believe that though, a few here and there is inevitable.

I think it's fair play to prioritise the folks who turned up at 7am and queued.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't make more than a token effort to get tickets in the end, but if you advertise three sales channels and two of them don't work, you think that's the system working fine? How can it be?

If they sold 1400 tickets in less than an hour, i'd say the system worked fine. Those people who made more than a token effort and got themselves down to the sea terminal early would have got tickets.

The tickets went on sale at 10am and were sold out by 11!

But they weren't sold out by 11.

Well like i said, i think there might have been a few left on the internet after they got the server running again. The internet seats are allocated separately.

Those people who made more than a token effort and got themselves down to the sea terminal early would have got tickets.

Even people who got down to the Sea Terminal early didn't get tickets, and many who didn't go to the Sea Terminal made more than a token effort.

Well like i said, i think there might have been a few left on the internet after they got the server running again. The internet seats are allocated separately.

So they weren't sold out by 11. Not even by half 11. I was just pointing out that you were wrong.

I don't care anyway cos I got mine. People must've known it would be mad busy trying to get tickets, don't know why they're getting so stressed about it. Getting stressed isn't gonna magically get you tickets. Calm down.

Where to start...........

Expected I would be quite elated at the interest and clear response to the gig but it seems to have had quite the reverse effect. This is possibly the worst advert for Triskel to date ( 26 people at an easyworld gig in the Venue was my other low point!)

I have been deluged by friends and fans some with praise even though they didnt get tickets and others who simply couldnt get through the various channels and are not happy.

I dont wish to lay the blame anywhere however as the promoter the buck stops here.

Sure I thought we had a good gig but I dont think anyone in all honesty expected the sheer volume of interest in all medium for the show.

Countered with an MT problem unrelated but clearly frustrating folk hadnt helped but thats coincidental and could have happened any time.

There is a major concern regarding "advanced sales" I wish to point out as a Promoter (though its my business) that I am contractually obliged to keep tickets for band allocation, suppliers, fanclubs, competitions, Triskel crew helpers and on occasion VIP/corporate occasions however these are part and parcel of any gig and in the case of VIP etc whilst I am not in favour of them particularly they create a buffer on the tight break even of these large scale shows. Now thats my business but I am being transparent about it.

What I am NOT in control of is tickets for general sale (which is every other ticket) which cannot be held back or sold prior to ON SALE agreement. Tickets held or sold in advance is breaking the contract we have made.

At this stage we will investigate the situation regarding how tickets (and in this case a large amount) were made available if indeed its not just a rumour however it seems to have come from several sources and I have even heard a report one of them was sold off island so if this is true then a very bad image for the Island especially if counterfeit.

Triskel takes NO part in ticket touting. If you read the terms and conditions we do no permit reselling the ticket above face value (though impossible to police) however fans can run the risk of their ticket being void especially if you are seen to tout a ticket publicly. I would ask that anyone buying large amounts of tickets from anyone should PM if you are suspicious and we can run a check on the reference numbers etc. Its not going to stop it but we will do our best to combat it. No-one should pay above face-value for a general admission ticket for anything!

I signed an agreement that meant no-one could purchase more than 6 tickets. In hindsight this perhaps should be reduced to 4 but one should also remember the huge financial risk in staging a show, it can all go horribly wrong very quickly and speaking from experience, I only need one "big" show have problems and thats me out of the game. It is sometimes more comforting to sell a show as quickly as possible though I would counter that by saying as long as the public are treated fairly. Logistically due to the Guild we were unable to postpone selling tickets to Saturday when more people would have been less inconvenienced with taking time off work (though I work Saturdays!) so it was decided to run a quick sale. Also there were more staff at the counters today than tomorrow. These are areas to be addressed.

Its a sharp lesson for future events and the ticket process will be scrutinised on this occasion and prior to any future shows I can assure you (Sorry that sounds sooooo Gordon Brown and unassuring!)

I take the risk because music is my biggest passion and because I get a buzz from other people enjoying good music too.

Should Triskel be in a position to stage an event on a similar scale we will ensure a fair, transparent and convenient platform is presented in order for people to buy tickets. At the end of the day I want people to enjoy their music and although we can never get more than the capacity of the Villa without embracing some serious expenses risks and liability on outdoor gigs (fine if you have sponsors) then some people will be disappointed at not getting a ticket.

I have missed out on events by being a little slow off the mark to purchase and although thats clearly not the case here, just because a show sells out it doesnt always mean its possible to stage another plus the risk of a second sell out show may seem obvious to the public but if it doesnt fill then the Promoter is the one who loses.

Thanks to everyone who made the effort to get down to the kiosks as I appreciate you were all inconvenienced. Thank God it wasnt raining too (Triskel cannot however take responsibility for atmospheric pressure changes persay...........)

Anyhow I hope you continue to support live music so passionately and I will continue to try and supply the demand!

Cheers

Lenny Conroy

Director

Triskel Promotions Ltd

24 April 2009

PS I just heard from an MT employee that there was in excess of 30,000 calls to the one number thus the meltdown and appears that did effect the smooth running......sorry!

Thanks for taking the time to explain, and good on you for taking the risk in bringing these acts over.

Have you any thoughts on the capacity of the venue? A 1,400 sell out gig always feels kind of half full in there, with big empty spaces just half way back from the stage.

Have you any thoughts on the capacity of the venue? A 1,400 sell out gig always feels kind of half full in there, with big empty spaces just half way back from the stage.

yeah agree with that, seems a waste, they could get a lot more in there but these days health and safety and fire regs seem to dictate everything. :(

nice to hear your thought on it too triskel :)

No need to apologise. It's a popular gig and it sold out. That's what happens in the world.

This is it in a nutshell! A generous response from the promoter but it's a shame he has to defend himself against the usual crowd of outraged villagers, kvetching about website crashes and bandying around wild conspiracy theories about ticket allocation.

Unfortunately, there is mentality on the IOM (or in certain pockets of it) that everything should be handed to you on a plate - and I speak as a Manx person.

If you're used to phoning up for festival tickets, say, Glastonbury, you know there's a chance that you might not be lucky, such is demand.

Scaled down, this is the same kind of deal.

It also bugs me that some people's first reaction is to gripe about the price. It's the Kaiser Chiefs, on your doorstep. If you're a fan, would you rather shell out several hundred quid on a trip to see them in a UK venue? The cost is logistics, pure and simple, and part and parcel of living on the IOM. So, suck it up.

Anyways, hats off to Triskel. There's two brilliant things about this gig (apart from the gig itself). It shows that a small venue on a small Island can attract major acts - hopefully more successes can be built on this. And it shows that whatever the misguided, squashy-brained Govt might waste our money on, a one man band like Triskel Promotions can still make good things happen :)

Don't know if you're still reading in on this thread Lenny !

But my question would be! If you've had in the region of 30,000 calls in one day would that not suggest that it would be worth looking at ways of upping the ticket allocation!

To see 30,000 people at a gig on the Island would be amazing ,and a great advert, plus how many people could it possibly attract from the uk and irish mainlands?

Archived