Manx Mosque Facebook Group

Amadeus

Don't see the big fuss TBH, How many practicing moslems are on the IOM approx?, that'll do the equation as to if a new building is needed, my guess would be no.

The pro group has ten members, the no group three hundred.

Thats only facebook though, where the majority of replies have been totally idiotic, to quite simply say no to a mosque you sign up, thats all thats needed, don't need to spout some rasict comment.

Is there a Moslem community on the IOM?

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be against a mosque, mainly as I I think they breed separatism, secrecy, and represent a focal bad place to me in terms of how they treat their women, and how their politics is intertwined with their religion - when religion has no place in state in our modern society. Allowing one says you are not just tolerant of islam, it also says you tolerate all the bad things about islam too. If they want to build one, it should certainly not be allowed to stand out as a landmark where it would look totally out of place on a small island IMO.

No matter what you might have been taught in school, especially over the last 10 years under NuShite, the fact is there is a big difference between the multi-cultural Britain that they try and sell us, and the separatist multi-faith Britain that is the every day reality in the UK. And try first living in the UK for a while in some of these problem areas before you think of retorting with some Zanulab party line or multi-cultural BS.

Enoch Powell got things very right and very wrong IMO - where he got it right was in saying there would be a problem - where he got it wrong was who we would have a problem with - the West Indians have actually fairly well integrated into the UK since the 50s - whereas Islam hasn't and won't, because fundamentally their own rules say it isn't allowed to and so can't.

If I had my way, I'd ban any new buildings designed for the worship of imaginary friends anyhoo.

When I saw this group on facebook, I was disgusted. It appears that although the creator has state that it was not their intention for the group to be racist - it has ended up that way, and encouraged these small minded idiots to post their racist rantings

And also a mr. Danny Waterworth...

i just moved from manchester, and have seen the damage they have caused there so why let them ruin a perfectly innocent beautiful island, they wont be happy until they take over the world so i say to all you who want or back a mosque...... FUCK YOU MOTHER FUCKERS TAKE A TRIP TO THE BOTTOM OF THE OCEAN WITH THE REST OF YOU PARASITE BASTARDS!!!!!

I feel sorry for the Muslims of Manchester, having to share a city with people like Mr. Waterworth.

I note that this (non-racist) group has two administrators, one of whom is the aforementioned Mr. Waterworth. Who, as we can see above, is in no way racist.

i'm not a racist but...i am a bit of a xenophobe :)

on the other hand - i do think mosques are very pretty. i used to live quite near a Mosque. very impressive.

so, i AM in favour of a proper, proper Mosque (as long as my taxes don't pay for it).

i'm NOT in favour of some half-hearted, makeshift shite, like converting the Manx Arms.

if you want to inflict your religion on me, then at least give me something nice to look at. and people say i'm shallow

I think this opposition to the mosque IS technically racist:

Agreed - she is being openly racist - and apparently without a care that she is identifiable. However, moslems aren't a "race" under any of the legal definitions and therefore simply "opposing a mosque" is not in and of itself racist.

It is possible to oppose a mosque (theological/philosophical/planning objections)without being racist albeit that this appears to be the minority position but I do accept (and implied same in my post) that most objections are likely to stem from the objector's racism.

QLD

Not they are not a racist group and I agree it is technically racist, but the essence of the prejudice against them is based upon ethnicity and culture.

I have absolutely no opposition to a mosque being built, but I cannot see how it would be justifiable for it be built with public funds, if that is what is what might be on the cards.

I have to say, with comments like these about Muslims, it will be a good thing when the Island becomes cosmpolitican to eradicate such ignorance and prejudice.

i'm not a racist but...i am a bit of a xenophobe :)

on the other hand - i do think mosques are very pretty. i used to live quite near a Mosque. very impressive.

so, i AM in favour of a proper, proper Mosque (as long as my taxes don't pay for it).

i'm NOT in favour of some half-hearted, makeshift shite, like converting the Manx Arms.

if you want to inflict your religion on me, then at least give me something nice to look at. and people say i'm shallow

I think it's more likely to be a small terraced house rather than a large exquisite building.

......but the essence of the prejudice against them is based upon ethnicity and culture.

I agree.

This is very problem the UK encountered when trying to use race laws to prevent discrimination/ reduce hate crimes against Muslims. It was clearly racially based at the core but the legislative couldn't create a reasonable definition of the group that wouldn't create more problems in other areas.

I have absolutely no opposition to a mosque being built, but I cannot see how it would be justifiable for it be built with public funds, if that is what is what might be on the cards.

Again I agree. No public funds should be used. But Church/mosque/synagogue or any other place of worship, if you pay for it and follow planning/building rules then there's no reason why you shouldn't be allowed to build it.

Of course, I wouldn't bother to go to your building - but apparently there are some people who don't like rugby and won't show up to play for us this saturday!

I have to say, with comments like these about Muslims, it will be a good thing when the Island becomes cosmpolitican to eradicate such ignorance and prejudice.

I assume that you're refering to the comments at the facebook site. However, were local muslims to behave as some sects do in the UK then your view of the island becoming 'cosmopolitan' might only be one-way. Yes, it might well work both ways - I have been made aware that there is a certain (small?) amount of resentment of come-overs still lingering and who knows how this might grow in a recession.

I've lived in the UK and in some areas I encountered your multi-cultural cosmopolitan ideal while in others there were just adjacent areas of loathing with neither culture mixing in any way whatsoever. Some people from those areas would write the kind of rubbish Ans and others have quoted - just change a few adjectives and it could have come from either side.

Dave Kelly isn't much of an improvement here when he writes "NO dont want one full stop they taking over enough is enough TIME TO SAY GO HOME IF YOU DONT LIKE OUR COUNTRY WHICH IS MENT TO BE CHRISTIAN THEN BYE BYE"

No Dave. I think it's time you said BYE BYE to the Internet as you're clearly too stupid to operate a keyboard unsupervised.

That'll be DJ Dave Kelly then. I'm not surprised by his spelling or attitude to be honest.

Having a good read (and laugh) at some of the comments there it's actually quite worrying that some of those people are allowed to breed (or inbreed for that case).....

Dave Kelly isn't much of an improvement here when he writes "NO dont want one full stop they taking over enough is enough TIME TO SAY GO HOME IF YOU DONT LIKE OUR COUNTRY WHICH IS MENT TO BE CHRISTIAN THEN BYE BYE"

No Dave. I think it's time you said BYE BYE to the Internet as you're clearly too stupid to operate a keyboard unsupervised.

That'll be DJ Dave Kelly then. I'm not surprised by his spelling or attitude to be honest.

Having a good read (and laugh) at some of the comments there it's actually quite worrying that some of those people are allowed to breed (or inbreed for that case).....

I spotted that earlier, it has to be him !!!! ..lol

Anybody pointed out that one of the first mosques in Britain was set-up by William Abdullah Quilliam, educated at King Bills and the son of a Manx family?

The sad thing is they're all 'Proud to be Manx', well what they've managed today is to make me ashamed that they're Manx because it means I have to be associated with them.

Archived