Martin Clunes

Maxmann

Martin Clunes is about to do a programme on TV called Islands, the programme had a write up in Saturdays Daily Express supplement, but he states he will never return to the Isle of Man, in his words the Island is full of smug people avoiding paying the UK rate of tax, which he adds the Island is little more than a tax haven, which is subsidised by the UK taxpayers,and he would never be likely to return

So it looks like, all Alan Bells hard work, to get us a good name is to no avail

Thought it was alright overall, a little short maybe, funny as hell when it was initially reported as portraying manx people negatively, then a certain section of the populace decided to jump on this and post on the forum and on the paper website about how right Clunes was about us,then to watch the tide slowly turn ... ah bliss.

Anyway - pleased they shot on a nice day - The Island always looks amazing from the air (how well did the Lord of the Rings music fit the footage by the way?)

Brown`s shop was suspiciously busy.I loved that George Quayle got a mention - one of my favourite Manx characters, shame he didn`t get Charles Guard to show him the burglar trap.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good programe until he me the SMUG Git of all smug gits, who would want to come back if you met prats like that out on his boat, talking about yellow sports cars and paying f all tax. he is the fella that writes off cars and honda power boats, if he had any real money he would be living in Monaco.

I thought the balance was pretty good - having reasonably meaningful chats and a laugh with the locals and quietly sneering at the likes of Baggs/Briggs or whatever his name was. It's unfortunate that Alan Bell's policies encourages the likes of him to live here purely for tax advantages, but at least Tony Brown didn't treat it as a marketing opportunity (or if he did, it was edited out) . I'd also have liked to see something of our main cultural difference to the rest of the British Isles (YES - I'm on about Manx Gaelic and placenames etc) but it could have been worse - he could have bumped into 'Port Erin' and been told that everybody and everything about the IOM is crap!

Sounds like it was not the PR disaster it had been beaten up into. Everywhere has smug gits - mind you from the comments above they picked a git of gits to talk with him.

BTW I thought it was the owner of the electrical shop in Castletown who needed the facelift!!!!!

'Good morning Mister Brown, A Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range please'

They cut my bit out.

Pity they didn't do the same with the rich boy.

Apart from that I can't see what the problem was.

Certainly didn't have anything to warrant the pre broadcast local hysteria that built up in some areas.

Thought it was alright overall, a little short maybe, funny as hell when it was initially reported as portraying manx people negatively, then a certain section of the populace decided to jump on this and post on the forum and on the paper website about how right Clunes was about us,then to watch the tide slowly turn ... ah bliss.

Anyway - pleased they shot on a nice day - The Island always looks amazing from the air (how well did the Lord of the Rings music fit the footage by the way?)

Brown`s shop was suspiciously busy.I loved that George Quayle got a mention - one of my favourite Manx characters, shame he didn`t get Charles Guard to show him the burglar trap.

'Funny as hell'? You don't get out much I imagine.

Most of the comments were about the articles that were written after.

Not sure I agree with that. Yes he did say that but to me that made him seem even more smug somehow because it seemed like a sort of "look at me UK taxman, woohoo (gives the uppers vigorously) -ha ha, I pay bugger all tax here, nyerr nyerr!" type comment.

Maybe that was just me though... :unsure:

A bit like The Simpsons episode where Bart causes a diplomatic incident and they have to call up the Australian Prime Minister. With the emphasis on sheep farmers in the programme, there could well have been an intended parallel.

Archived