Martin Clunes

Maxmann

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he wasnt far wrong, considering who he spoke to, at least the interviews that were broadcast it seems perfectly reasonable for him to think everyone is a smug tax avoiding tosser. Because the majority of come overs are, I was when I first arrived I couldnt stop telling all my old mates how I only paid 10% tax. But the longer I have been here the more I have come to see the island for what it is, and I no longer care about tax I would happily pay UK tax to stay here.

I think the fact that boat owning yellow sportscar owning twats buisness would not have surrived in the UK says more about the strength of his buisness than it does about the island.

My big complaint was his comments about how there are billions of pounds in accounts here avoiding tax. Yes there are billions of pounds here but its here at a risk to the depositors, you pay less tax you get better interest rates but you may not be covered if things go tits up.

Anyone here pay 10% tax? Where did he get that ballsed up piece of information?

Yep and so I think will any individual who pays tax in the IoM as 10% is the standard tax rate. OK the standard rate band may from memory only be £10,500 if you are an individual ot £21,000 if married when the 18% higher rate kicks in, but it is still stated as the Standard rate of tax in the IoM

£3.20 for a pack of batteries at Tony's. You can get them far cheaper most other places.

Tony made us look a right backwater IMO, giving all the wrong impressions if we seriously want to attract multi-£million businesses to the island. His 15 minutes of novelty fame for that programme could cost us all more than a few quid in the end.

I think we should all go back to wearing them there droopy moustaches, like what they had in the olden days.

I'm not sure if I would feel comfortable jingling a sheep's testacles with a smile om my face though.

Anyone here pay 10% tax? Where did he get that ballsed up piece of information?

Yep and so I think will any individual who pays tax in the IoM as 10% is the standard tax rate. OK the standard rate band may from memory only be £10,500 if you are an individual ot £21,000 if married when the 18% higher rate kicks in, but it is still stated as the Standard rate of tax in the IoM

You know what I mean. Most people in full time jobs will be paying more than the 10% lower rate.

Probably not as many as you think as you have to be earning about £400 per week to pay any tax at 18%. That does not allow for additional relief for mortgage interest etc. According to last years earning survey approx 40% of the Islands poulation earn £400 per week or or less with the most "popular" pay bracket being between £375 and £400 per week for those in full time employment. Certainly my inlaws never earned enough to pay tax at the higher rate until they retired recently.

TIn addition there are presumably a largish number of retired folk who will not have £20K income a year if single or £40K if married so I reckon probably more than 50% of adults do not pay tax at the higher rate. It may be in the budget statistics but I have not checked

You know what I mean. Most people in full time jobs will be paying more than the 10% lower rate.

Archived