Martin Clunes

Maxmann

After watching tonight’s episode, The South, I can't help but feel the Isle of Man was treated rather unfairly.

Either the IOM government missed a trick (again), or there was an ulterior motive. It simply doesn't add up. He was forthright on the IOM and less so on them.

Questions need to be asked of the government and their liaisons with the production team.

A serious advantage was given to the opposition.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"THE Islands Communications Company"

What a strange bit of punctuation (even leaving aside the missing apostrophe), why underline, capitalise and embolden the word "the"?

I suppose it is a corporate attempt at emphasis (rather like the way Reggie Perrin's boss speaks actually) to highlight the primacy of their service (ie THE number one double glazing company). But this just emphasises The Island (or Islands, I suppose, depending on where the apostrophe lands) not the Communications Company.

"THE Islands Communications Company"

What a strange bit of punctuation (even leaving aside the missing apostrophe), why underline, capitalise and embolden the word "the"?

I suppose it is a corporate attempt at emphasis (rather like the way Reggie Perrin's boss speaks actually) to highlight the primacy of their service (ie THE number one double glazing company). But this just emphasises The Island (or Islands, I suppose, depending on where the apostrophe lands) not the Communications Company.

Well the guy from bluewave did say in his interview with Martin Clunes on the back of his speedboat - "I didn't get where I am today by paying UK's rate of tax" or something v. similar and my first thought was Reggie Perrin's boss. :D

Well the guy from bluewave did say in his interview with Martin Clunes on the back of his speedboat

It wasn't even his speedboat. It belongs to the bloke "driving" it. Don't know who thought it would be a good idea to have him posing on it. Still, I suppose he could have borrowed someone else's yellow Ferrari and have him say he might buy a speedboat next

After watching tonight’s episode, The South, I can't help but feel the Isle of Man was treated rather unfairly.

Either the IOM government missed a trick (again), or there was an ulterior motive. It simply doesn't add up. He was forthright on the IOM and less so on them.

Questions need to be asked of the government and their liaisons with the production team.

A serious advantage was given to the opposition.

Perhaps, and this is just a shot in the dark, he didn't like the Isle of Man.

I don't know what to make of it all really, it all just gave such a scant glimpse of Island life, whichever Island he was on, just like a quick flick through a holiday brochure and just he picked out a few odd 'colourful' characters (some more odd than others, but mostly non-indigenous islanders)

The series is actually a load of bollocks. Marginally interesting maybe.

Who would have thought Coast would be so popular? Well presented and interesting. Jumping on the bandwagon we then had James May and some bloke going round Britain tasting beer. Now CLunes and er, cathedrals.....or is it Islands? Whatever, its Clunes that bloke from the telly.

It's a bit like these cooking programme. The two ladies on a bike was copied by two similarly fat and bearded men who liked bikes. etc.

This is formulaic TV. They can churn this stuff out willy nilly and dumb Britain will lap it all up. All that is achieved is that talentless presenters with very good agents become bigger millionaires.

In all fairness to Martin Clunes, he did not make the big fuss about the Manx cats being diseased and deformed. The cat sanctuary woman was the culprit here and her comments were inaccurate and misguided.

All pedigree cats and dogs come with their own health problems specific to the breed, its not exclusive to the Manx cat

Its my understanding that the Government didnt request any kind of pre-broadcast viewing and so they were all watching it the same time we did.

Ive not seen the other episodes, but did he make similar comments about all the money in Jersey and Gurnsey banks not paying tax and supported by the British tax payer?

Ive not seen the other episodes, but did he make similar comments about all the money in Jersey and Gurnsey banks not paying tax and supported by the British tax payer?

Perhaps the PR people in the Channel Islands weren't quite as clueless and managed to steer Clunes away from smug multimillionare bastards?

Perhaps the PR people in the Channel Islands weren't quite as clueless and managed to steer Clunes away from smug multimillionare bastards?

just ones with cheap Maseratti and Bentleys, dead common those, and private jets are so old hat :P

Archived