Scientology Books.

thebees

Good, Bad, indifferent  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it makes little different having christian stuff put through your door. In fact, I would probably rather scientology bunf was in the hands of children than JoHove trash (though I do like reading the pamphlets - at least they can't afford to join the racket.

Just curious, do they still make kids pray at school and do hymn practice?

Free speech doesn't really work if you're suggesting we silence people saying things we don't agree with.

i totally agree with your statement ans, in fact i felt a little guilty posting my answer.

it is however how i feel, some people wont be able to resist the language used and will get sucked in.

i would feel a lot better about it if:

all leaflets had to be vetted not for content but for NLP etc

other leaflets were circulated by secular groups and religious groups at the same time to lessen the impact/add some balance.

it is however how i feel, some people wont be able to resist the language used and will get sucked in.

I propose a ban on all sales materials offering me "ace deals at bargain prices". They all try to suck me in with their irresistible language.

all leaflets had to be vetted not for content but for NLP etc

By whom? The State? You're proposing state censorship for the distribution of promotional material? I'm pretty sure they do that in other countries and historically it's never really worked out for the populace.

other leaflets were circulated by secular groups and religious groups at the same time to lessen the impact/add some balance.

I wasn't aware of some form of limitation that prevented any other group circulating their own leaflets. Seems all you have to do is pay your money, no matter how loony you are.

Free speech doesn't really work if you're suggesting we silence people saying things we don't agree with.

Normally I'd agree, but Scientology hardly has a spotless record with regards to showing tolerance of free speech, i.e. its critics, and the fact that it's seen by a number of countries as a legitimate source of concern to warrant legal action, combined with what's documented on its activities towards and treatment of those who speak out against it worry me considerably about them setting up shop on the Island.

It sounds like people are being outraged for the sake of being outraged.

I've actually taken the trouble to read the damn thing now thanks to you lot. I can't find a single thing in it that even hints at scientology or any other religion for that matter. But the guy that wrote it founded Scientology so it's obviously dangerous right? I saw a film with Tom Cruise in it one. Guess I should start eating placenta* and signing my house and life savings over.

*Yes, I know they don't really. Well they say they don't but who knows. What they cook in their own kitchen is their own business.

Having watched and read quite a lot regarding Scientology, i find them quite frightening. Watching some of the stories from parents who have lost their children to this cult is quite heartbreaking, the children being "recommended" to drop all communication with their families.

I truly hope we don't see a Church of Scientology start up on the IOM.

Baffles me why some people seem to treat Ron L Hubbard like the reincarnation of Christ. His life was a concoction of lies and drugs, and he only created (a religion) Scientology as a way to make money.

They have tried to become more credible by changing the fundaments of it, and moving away from the original history regarding Xanu destroying volcanoes with hydrogen bombs. Honestly, who other than a particularly naff Sci Fi writer could come up with this shit?

Yet people in hollywood seem to lap it up.

Normally I'd agree, but Scientology hardly has a spotless record with regards to showing tolerance of free speech, i.e. its critics, and the fact that it's seen by a number of countries as a legitimate source of concern to warrant legal action, combined with what's documented on its activities towards and treatment of those who speak out against it worry me considerably about them setting up shop on the Island.

I'm not advocating support of Scientology or its ideals and most definitely not its methods. I believe it to be an insidious, manipulative and awful philosophy to follow. However, you'd find a proportion of the population who would say the same about Catholics, or Jehova Witnesses, or Islam.

We can't as a society tell people what they can and can't read. Our only influence we should be allowed to exert is one of education and promotion of our own ideals. Kinda like what the Scientologists are trying to accomplish through a fairly innocuous looking pamphlet.

Suppressing voices is the blunt edge of a very thick wedge that is the real danger.

Archived