Scientology Books.

thebees

Good, Bad, indifferent  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Helping me to be happy? Go and take a long walk off a short cliff, scientology peoples. My postman delivered one of their booklets yesterday, I chased him off down the road (lucky he's quite used to me by now) What is this all about? It says it is not religious, yet it is a church. Ron L Hubbard printing press - OMFG! Am I wrong to be a bit cross with the Post Office for delivering this?

Those who do not wash may give others germs - burn the the filthy heretics.....

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry LDV, its a 74 page 1/2 A5 sized booklet called The Way to Happiness. It is quite bad. I asked the Postman what he was delivering it for, apparently you can pay the Post Office and they will deliver anything (unless it is on the list of banned items) - it says on the front "To and From" but there is no from, and neither is there a return address (I can tell you I would hand deliver it if I knew where to return it to). /OUTRAGED!

I don't understand the problem either, apart from it being a waste of paper.

I got one in the post about ten minutes ago. It's called "The Way to Happiness - a Common Sense Guide to Better Living", and appears to be a basic moral code. It's got chapters like "Take Care of Yourself" about personal health and hygiene, "Do Not Murder", "Treat Others as You Would Want Them to Treat You". It's all fairly innocuous with out even a suggestion or solicitation of Scientology which i was expecting towards the end.

On the reverse cover it explains that the book was "written by L. R. Hubbard as an individual work and is not part of any religious doctrine."

While i find Scientology ridiculous i can see little harm in this booklet at all, certainly little more than any similar publications that we often get through the door with an overtly religious intention. I do wonder though if this is just a preliminary barrage to assure us of their benign intentions, to be followed by something more solicitous.

Sorry LDV, its a 74 page 1/2 A5 sized booklet called The Way to Happiness. It is quite bad. I asked the Postman what he was delivering it for, apparently you can pay the Post Office and they will deliver anything (unless it is on the list of banned items) - it says on the front "To and From" but there is no from, and neither is there a return address (I can tell you I would hand deliver it if I knew where to return it to). /OUTRAGED!

It's called Door2Door and it's a distribution service run by the post office, quite legal and paid for by the client. All it has to do is fall within the current ASA regs. It's part of the T&C's that there should be 'no return address'. Anyone can go round pushing leaflets through your door.

Just bin it if you don't want to read it.

http://www.iompost.com/postal/distributions.xml

I short of agree with Vulgarian, but think this is the thin end of the wedge and would rather it hadn't dropped through my mail box yesterday.

This book may be innocuous and secular, but the obvious point is that next week or whatever there will be another one - this time with a smidgen of Scientology in it, etc.

Cults can be entirely secular, though its rarer as having some metaphysical content seems to perform a reasonectomy on far too many people, but if its coming from Old Mother Hubbard it means Tom Cruise's gnomic minions will be along soon telling us all about the delights of their "Church".

It will be interesting to see if any turn up on here defending the garbage - if they are mailshotting the entire Island it means we've been targeted for some serious cash spending - they expect a return on that business and Scientology's possible even better than the Vatican at converting souls into cash.

I short of agree with Vulgarian, but think this is the thin end of the wedge and would rather it hadn't dropped through my mail box yesterday.

This book may be innocuous and secular, but the obvious point is that next week or whatever there will be another one - this time with a smidgen of Scientology in it, etc.

Cults can be entirely secular, though its rarer as having some metaphysical content seems to perform a reasonectomy on far too many people, but if its coming from Old Mother Hubbard it means Tom Cruise's gnomic minions will be along soon telling us all about the delights of their "Church".

It will be interesting to see if any turn up on here defending the garbage - if they are mailshotting the entire Island it means we've been targeted for some serious cash spending - they expect a return on that business and Scientology's possible even better than the Vatican at converting souls into cash.

Is what I am talking about. I hope none of your kids run off with them.

i had to vote that they should be discouraged.

in most cases i would just say, legitimate business bin it if you dont want to read it blah blah.

however in certain cases, powerful persuasion techniques are used that are beyond the ken of the average person, and as such these insidious organisations gain a foothold in impressionable peoples lives.

scientology has proven itself to be a very dangerous organisation, manipulative, controlling, expensive and litigous.

look into the details surrounding the death of Lisa Mcpherson to get a good idea of just what scientology is capable of.

Archived