Manx Nationalism Is Worrying

kersal

Lancaster was quite a nice town actually, but the campus was a good few miles outside and very 60's architecture.

Aye, and unfortunately it's that boring 60's architecture that makes it look like a small mid 70's industrial estate (rather than elevated concrete walkways and stairs to nowhere). Still sounds like my kind of place though.

"Distinguished Educators of Central Lancashire".

Nicely done, sir! I'm ashamed at how long it took me to get that.

Preston is the arsehole of the universe, especially the New Hall Lane area, UCLAN is a decent uni shame about the location. The IOM college use to be affiliated with it for all the degree courses but now its done through JMU, which is a shame as they then lost the architecture course.

Not sure how this relates the Manx nationalism, in the same way I don't understand why so many non-manx people are joining the Mannin aboo facebook page, or why they have an Albanian officer, or an officer that is an Irish Nationalist., or why their main form of spreading the word is an american website?

work is itself demeaning when you have to rent yourself. To have to rent yourself to do menial work and therefore have your survival and productive life rest on not using your mind is about as lacking in self respect as you get. Not that people have a choice but to take up such work. Others as you mention no doubt recognise the lack of value and meaningfulness in such work and understandably cop out. Can't say I blame them. Either way you being stupid, just depends on whether you choose to do nothing and be stupid or work hard at being stupid.

Menial tasks have to be undertaken in society. But for people to spend most of their working day, day in day out to just sustain their lives is a waste of life.

There is of course always the option of actually doing something as opposed to talking about it. Lead by example, destroy the system etc

LDV, I don't really want to work as I'm a lazy bugger. Do you agree that the State should finance my lifestyle, mortgage, etc, while I take a couple of years off? What does Marx say about this?
Should? No, but if it can and you can get away with it then go for it. As to what Marx thinks, I don't know, why would I? I don't know what Adam Smith says about it either.

Not sure how this relates the Manx nationalism,

It had a pretty good run for a thread derail though!

in the same way I don't understand why so many non-manx people are joining the Mannin aboo facebook page

It's a facebook group. Those places are to idiots what a lightbulb is to moths, rapidly accumulating all manner of annoying, demented creatures flapping and fluttering around the place with seemingly little purpose.

Not sure how this relates the Manx nationalism, in the same way I don't understand why so many non-manx people are joining the Mannin aboo facebook page, or why they have an Albanian officer, or an officer that is an Irish Nationalist., or why their main form of spreading the word is an american website?

I think largely because they are a bunch of fuckwitts might be the answer!

Hahaha, oh dear, that Mannin Seyr group is ridiculous. Talk of the Manx being Celts; that the Manx are STARVING for freedom; and that we have apparently such different DNA to the Anglo-Saxons of the England and apparently speak the same language as those in Celtic nations that we only share a close identity with the later countries.

Quite depressing how nationalism is so popular.

It's bored and, above all, deeply boring people trying to give themselves some cachet. You know, like wearing a novelty Donald Duck tie which is supposed to say to onlookers: "I'm a real, ker-razy character, me!" All indications to the contrary, notwithstanding.

Boring bastard? Check. Low IQ? Check. Dreary, dull, grey life lived poorly? Check.

First class Manx nationalist material.

Quite depressing how nationalism is so popular.

If it wasn't, you'd be speaking German, Italian or Arabic by now - or even English instead of bullshit.

Take that, LDV! Of course, the "You'd be wearing lederhosen" argument in favour of heart-on-sleeve blimpy nationalism goes a bit limp when you start thinking about what provided the impetuous for Germany to initiate the Second World War in the first place, but we don't need to talk about that right now...

• 13 years later...

I put into ChatGPT. Here’s what it said in response:

Finding the equilibrium between passion and reason in politics is indeed intricate, navigating the tension between preserving societal fabric and addressing frustrations with incompetence. It's intriguing how the younger generation often senses the need for change more acutely, even without articulating specific policies, challenging established ideals in this evolving era.

On 12/22/2023 at 1:45 PM, Mr. Sausages said:

I put into ChatGPT. Here’s what it said in response:

Finding the equilibrium between passion and reason in politics is indeed intricate, navigating the tension between preserving societal fabric and addressing frustrations with incompetence. It's intriguing how the younger generation often senses the need for change more acutely, even without articulating specific policies, challenging established ideals in this evolving era.

Threadnecromancy copy.png

• Haha 1