Manx Nationalism Is Worrying

kersal

However full amalgamation in to the UK would be just as devastating to our economy. With out the ability to set our own tax rates there would be no advantage in companies being based here, in fact being based here would be a major disadvantage to the majority of companies, over heads are higher here than in the UK, gas, electric telecoms, everything.

I suspect it would also be the case that we, like a good deal of semi-rural UK areas and particularly a fair bit of the North West be largely neglected by Westminster in terms of investment and infrastructure. In short, we really would become a run down backwater.

If you look at old photos of the 1930s and earlier everyone was flying the union flag for example. That was how most people thought of themselves from what I can work out.

From what I can gather, there was a very distinct identity amongst the Manx and those born on the Island to recent newcomers that although perhaps not refined to the point of full blown nationalism was close to it. For instance, one telling wartime letter written by a great uncle of mine talks of being thankful that he's a Manxman and not British (despite his father being English), and from what I can tell he wasn't alone in this (similarly, there are a couple of faded old copies of Fo Halloo floating around back home, despite a fair proportion of the family coming from England and Ireland). In fact, from what I've heard from older relatives, it's not that long ago that the Manx and in particular Manx catholics found it quite difficult to find good employment, so there certainly was a sense of difference there, sometimes verging on antipathy and I don't think the traditional political apathy of the Manx should necessarly be confused with the adoption of a British identity

(I know all this is very shaky and anecdotal, hopefully someone like Frances may be able to cast more light on the idea of Manx/British identity on the Island).

What bothers me about the Island's nationalist movement, well one of the things that bothers me about it at least is that it seems to ignore entirely the fact that the UK has had a profound influence on the Island, and any attempt to enshrine natonal identity in political ideology should embrace and reflect that, since that's what makes us who we are. As it is, they seem more interested in imagining the Island as a piss poor knock off of Ireland, trying to erase god knows how many centuries of influence in an attempt to recreate some vague hiberno-Manx utopia in the Irish Sea.

Also, I think your ideas about full amalgamation are wrong. It is more likely that transport links would improve. Things like the MEA and steampacket monopoly would go, and freight would be subsidised as per northern ireland. More UK chains would come here because there would not be the red tape (back handers etc.) required to open up. The red tape and backhanders are the route of the monopolies here.

I salute your optimism Cambon however there really isn't a large enough population to justify multiple utility, or transport providers, as a whole the island has the population of a small city. The island has a population of around 40k less than, for example Preston, yet Preston is only supplied by one energy company (at least it was 2 years back when I was living there)

My main confusion with the current upswell in Nationalism is the timing. The Nationalists are wanting the island to have more freedom and less influence, control, and dependance from the UK government, so why are they suddenly more vocal at a time that this is already happening? Why are they starting to shout (and by shout I mean pin bed sheets to fences and paint crap on the road) now, why not 2 years ago when dependance at least was much higher?

The other question is how wide spread is the nationalist sentiment? are the current "protests" the actions of a small band of board kids with little understanding of how independence would effect us? I think the current methods being used would support this idea.

I salute your optimism Cambon however there really isn't a large enough population to justify multiple utility, or transport providers, as a whole the island has the population of a small city. The island has a population of around 40k less than, for example Preston, yet Preston is only supplied by one energy company (at least it was 2 years back when I was living there)

My main confusion with the current upswell in Nationalism is the timing. The Nationalists are wanting the island to have more freedom and less influence, control, and dependance from the UK government, so why are they suddenly more vocal at a time that this is already happening? Why are they starting to shout (and by shout I mean pin bed sheets to fences and paint crap on the road) now, why not 2 years ago when dependance at least was much higher?

The other question is how wide spread is the nationalist sentiment? are the current "protests" the actions of a small band of board kids with little understanding of how independence would effect us? I think the current methods being used would support this idea.

There are literally tonnes of boats that cross the Irish Sea on a daily basis for a fraction the cost of the Steam Packet. If the linkspan was deregulated, don't you think some of these companies would want to pick up some of the very large, lucrative trade monopolised by the Steampacket? I mean, all they need to do is stop here for an hour or two on the way to Belfast or Dublin!

The IOM is small in population compared to UK towns, but it is much richer. There is actually a market for shops other than Lidl and Poundstretcher. A lot of companies know this but cannot get in because of red tape. It took years to get McDonalds, and fairly soon after KFC was here. It is all very closely controlled. Remove those controls and it could be amazing. Look at Jersey. They have a thriving high street, much more than us and they are much more independant than us.

I think any movement is very small. A few sabre rattlers at best. I don't think anything will come of it but that does not mean we should not be looking at all possibilities.

looking at all possibilities.

Closer integration with the UK and the EU should be one of those possibilities. Perhaps along the lines of what China is suggesting above. The idea of an independent country with the population of appx 2xRutland is economically dangerous. Just look at Iceland and they had way more going for them.

Sooner or later we want the benefits of full EU integration - both at a trade level and in terms of the domestic and social benefits. The current status which has been beneficial to the finance sector is in many cases a one way street and detrimental to the possibility of diversification.

There are literally tonnes of boats that cross the Irish Sea on a daily basis for a fraction the cost of the Steam Packet.

Are there indeed? Got any comparable quotes recently?

I got some last year when I was trying to get me and my motorbike to Belfast. I abandoned the trip on cost grounds.

It would be an eye opener for you to run a couple of dummy fares through Norfolk Line's booking system.

I'm not saying that IOMSPC are cheap btw, but simply that the grass isn't that much greener.

As for the latest campaign of criminal damage grafitti. It kinda reminds me of the martian grafitti in the Arnie Movie Total Recall. I keep thinking that some kind of hyper intelligent mutant is going to show us how to operate the controls of the ancient alien machinery hidden in the snaefell mines and when it fires up it will belch milk, honey and monorails from its summit. :D

Lets all share in wealth here ! I don't want to feel that I am being pushed into going home because the island is on the verge of tipping into the sea. I already know of people who are turning down positions here in the medical profession and in education because of the widely reported rise in Nationalism.

Mike

That really just points you out as incredibly thick.

There is an interview/questionaire on page 18 of this weeks Courier with a founder of Mannin Aboo. What a wally! her perfect day would be going somewhere nice and having chips, perfect meal MacDonalds, she only watches the Simpsons and Jeremy Kyle, and hates nasty men who gossip and argue like old women.

Absolutely the right blueprint for a strong willed, clear headed, politicaly savvy and cultured Nationalist to spearhead a campaign group calling for an Independent republic of Mann..........

We really are doomed, we bloody well are. :(

I've not seen any of this 'Manx Nationalists' grafitti, though I've heard about it...where is it, and what does it actually say?

ballig bridge last week.

but to be honest it was that big you could not read it.

i thought a DOT white line machine had gone on the rampage for a bit

There is an interview/questionaire on page 18 of this weeks Courier with a founder of Mannin Aboo. What a wally! her perfect day would be going somewhere nice and having chips, perfect meal MacDonalds, she only watches the Simpsons and Jeremy Kyle, and hates nasty men who gossip and argue like old women.

Anyone whose perfect meal is McDonalds should be dragged through the street in a dustcart and thrown in the harbour Manx or not. You should be ashamed to be Manx if that is your aspiration you loser.

In fact what sort of dipshit applauds the way American cultural imperialism spoils a quiet rural community but dislikes the English influence on the Island so much they spraypaint slogans. Your a fucking moron love ... get your coat.

Edited by localyokel

Anyone whose perfect meal is McDonalds should be dragged through the street in a dustcart and thrown in the harbour Manx or not. You should be ashamed to be Manx if that is your aspiration you loser.

In fact what sort of dipshit applauds the way American cultural imperialism spoils a quiet rural community but dislikes the English influence on the Island so much they spraypaint slogans. Your a fucking moron love ... get your coat.

Yeah but she's our moron...a Manx fucking moron, not a foreign fucking moron.

Yeah but she's our moron...a Manx fucking moron, not a foreign fucking moron.

Who on earth are Mannin Aboo? Are they the latest supergroup lined up for the Bay Festival?