Latest Doublespeak From Airstrip One

Declan

And come on manshimajin what about contaminated runways???? How does this affect the data you provided earlier? Are you going to need a longer runway for the same aircraft if its contaminated?

I make no claim to be an expert on 'contaminated runways'. However...Ballaughbiker how often is the Ronaldsway runway 'contaminated'? How many flights are actually affected each year by this condition? Do you have the facts?

There are safety issuse and economic issues - and these will always be in play (a simple example is airport security). If a contaminated runway requires some weight reduction on a few flights a year was it really worth spending £43 million or thereabouts to extend the runway when 99 time out of 100 (or more) the planes that use the airport only needed 2/3rds of the existing runway to take off and land? That does not make economic sense to me.

To use your weight example does an occasional 4.3% weight reduction justify a £43,000,000 spend?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Er, I think I am on record (was it yesterday?) as saying I thought the investment in a longer runway was a huge waste of money. Hey, I haven't changed my mind since then.

All I am trying to do is point out that just quoting performance figures for a set of favourable conditions in an attempt to prove that a longer runway is totally unnecessary might be oversimplifying somewhat. Runway contamination is indeed rare at Ronaldsway but it is a factor to be considered if it happes and the ideal figures you quoted will not apply on days when it exists. On such days, a longer runway may be a significant benefit. Whether its value for money is a separate (but not unrelated) issue imo.

Btw it isn't a 4.3% reduction in payload which is what matters. Half a tonne off the payload rather than the total weight is a lot on a small aircraft.

You read it here first - a definite maybe. LPL-IOM twice daily on an Easyjet A319. Still doesn't need the runway extension, however. The Directress must be damping her considerable bloomers!

Please no. If there are two airlines I do not want to see in the IoM they are Easyjet and Ryanair.

I am afraid this would be a very bad thing, it has the potential to decimate the market especially as it has not grown as predicted. Should one of the large operators move in we have the potential to support very few destinations with very few flights, Tynwald were told this !

Again nothing to do with runway A319 can operate steep approach in and out of London City ! I suspect the airport grupenfurer will however be gushingly ott if this happens and it will be all because of the runway !

The danger is of course; though these large operators can suddenly appear and seem to offer the world at cheaper prices; they can suddenly dissapear again as they have done on various routes when it suits them, and thus leave us potentially in the lurch - having in the meantime driven out of business smaller operators.

Services have to be managed and balanced sensitively and sensibly here - enough for small airlines to make a profit, whilst not allowing the customer to be ripped off or held to ransom. There is still very much work to be done there I think.

Personally the only large orange craft with flashing lights I would like to see arrive at Reynoldsway, is from the planet Zarg - to take, you know who, back 'home' - perhaps then doing a hover to pick up a few at the wedding fruit cake.

The danger is of course; though these large operators can suddenly appear and seem to offer the world at cheaper prices; they can suddenly dissapear again as they have done on various routes when it suits them, and thus leave us potentially in the lurch - having in the meantime driven out of business smaller operators.

Sounds like Tesco Airlines...

if the rumour is true, then they had better lower the airport charges otherwise EZY wont be any cheaper

They will probably get it for free as in Jersey. Sleasyjet only operate there in the summer and the Jersey government pay them to do so. It is sometimes possible to get cheap seats but diesirable dates and times generally get booked up well in advance. That means the average cost is not really that much better, if at all. It is all in the marketing.

I personally think the government should revive Manx Airlines as a national (subsidised) carrier. Offer the public bonds, put in the NHS air ambulance money, etc. It probably would not cost all that much to do and could easily return a profit if run well (DOH!) .

It probably would not cost all that much to do and could easily return a profit if run well
I think substituting "might cost a fortune and might never make a profit" is more likely. I wonder what the (just) leasing cost on one Q400 is a day? Anyone know?

They fly transatlantic from London City. To achieve this the plane only takes on enough fuel to get to Dublin then fill up there and do the immigration stuff there. Apparently it is cheaper to do this than use Heathrow etc and they worked out that the runway wouldn't need to be extended because of the reduced payload. Birmingham do this also, stopping off at manchester to refuel.

So if big jets were the target (which I seriously doubt) this would have been a more viable cost effective option.

Archived