Latest Doublespeak From Airstrip One

Declan

The airport seem to be bending over backwards to court them. They're even building a new loo in the 'holding lounge' at Easyjet's request.

If EZY get every single passenger traveling on the LPL route, they'll only achieve a 50% load factor on a 150 seater - their other revenue sources will be curtailled because of the short duration of the flight.

I hope there is a level playing field and that EZY are not being given reduced rate landing fees and other things such as security fees etc.

Without such incentives, it doesn't add up. It's got to be seen as an attempt to justify the huge expense of the runway extension and apart from a few cheap seats for the couple of months it will last, it will be of no benefit at all to the IOM population.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If EZY get every single passenger traveling on the LPL route, they'll only achieve a 50% load factor on a 150 seater

However, if they charge less than the current fares, people who are currently priced out of flying to Liverpool may decide to use Easyjet instead of the Steam Racket and passenger numbers might increase.

The airport seem to be bending over backwards to court them. They're even building a new loo in the 'holding lounge' at Easyjet's request.

If EZY get every single passenger traveling on the LPL route, they'll only achieve a 50% load factor on a 150 seater - their other revenue sources will be curtailled because of the short duration of the flight.

I hope there is a level playing field and that EZY are not being given reduced rate landing fees and other things such as security fees etc.

Without such incentives, it doesn't add up. It's got to be seen as an attempt to justify the huge expense of the runway extension and apart from a few cheap seats for the couple of months it will last, it will be of no benefit at all to the IOM population.

Normal policy is that ezy dictate what they will pay in landing fees ! it will be nothing in real terms. If they put the small operators out of business we will be held to ransom by another steam racket !!

I am convinced this is nothing more than political face saving and will add nothing to the future of air travel from the island.

i was told by someone who works at the airport the easyjet situation.

they way he explained it is that we'll just be a stop off between Belfast and Liverpool.

i guess the number of seats available will be down to the numbers travelling between Belfast & Liverpool, although i'm not sure they'd be too pleased having to stop over here each time

But to get the bums on seats they're going to have to undercut Flybe, who will of course have lowered their fares to ensure this doesn't happen, which means that neither airline will make any money and the competion will not last.

Flybe, like them or loathe them, have the perfect aeroplane for this type of route which has lower operating costs than the easybus.

As I said, unless EZY are being unfairly incetivised with taxpayers money, it can't possibly work.

they way he explained it is that we'll just be a stop off between Belfast and Liverpool.

A background question to the sky captains amongst us. Comparing a direct flight between these two points and one with a stopover in IOM, what would be a factor for the additonal operating cost, wear & tear, fuel, etc. for the extra landing/takeoff cycle?

i guess the number of seats available will be down to the numbers travelling between Belfast & Liverpool, although i'm not sure they'd be too pleased having to stop over here each time

Why would any budget airline want to pay 2 landing fees to get to its destination, use more fuel due to 2 take offs, especially on such a short route?

Why would any budget airline want to pay 2 landing fees to get to its destination, use more fuel due to 2 take offs, especially on such a short route?

How does fully subsidised political face saving sound ! Even the smallest ezy cannot possibly operate economically with two climbs and descents on the one route and never reach its economical cruise altitude.

How does fully subsidised political face saving sound !

And at what cost to everyone here in the future, when some airlines have left or gone 'pop'?

Did they really just approach us...or did someone approach them marketing this new 'ninth wonder of the world' folly we have built I wonder?

Does anyone have figures for fees and charges at similar sized airports to Reynoldsway? It seems scheduled flights are charged £17.15 per passenger here.

SOURCE

£1 per passenger was what i heard the big boys pay at proper airports, but that was around a year ago??

Did they really just approach us...or did someone approach them marketing this new 'ninth wonder of the world' folly we have built I wonder?

My thoughts exactly when this first hit the airways.

I would be astonished if there hadn't been a "Reynoldsway Flyer" shot-gunned across the airline industry. If there hasn't then there should have been.

Archived