Latest Doublespeak From Airstrip One

Declan

I personally think the government should revive Manx Airlines as a national (subsidised) carrier. Offer the public bonds, put in the NHS air ambulance money, etc. It probably would not cost all that much to do and could easily return a profit if run well (DOH!) .

Firstly, IRRC EU regs wouldn't permit the IOM to subsidise a "national" airline.

Secondly, and more importantly; The Govt, profit and "run well" can't be in the same sentence according to some ancient Manx Law and the Govt vehemently sticks to the letter of that law.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I personally think the government should revive Manx Airlines as a national (subsidised) carrier. Offer the public bonds, put in the NHS air ambulance money, etc. It probably would not cost all that much to do and could easily return a profit if run well (DOH!) .

Firstly, IRRC EU regs wouldn't permit the IOM to subsidise a "national" airline.

Secondly, and more importantly; The Govt, profit and "run well" can't be in the same sentence according to some ancient Manx Law and the Govt vehemently sticks to the letter of that law.

Did you miss the DOH! at the end of my post?

I think substituting "might cost a fortune and might never make a profit" is more likely. I wonder what the (just) leasing cost on one Q400 is a day? Anyone know?

Absolutely agree with your cost and profit projections - but the plane would probably be a second hand 12 year old Hercules bought from the USAF.

I understand the most the large operators will pay in fees is £1 per passenger, the published landing charges for something like a 737 are around £1400.00.

Reynoldsway will have an excuse for less passengers though after the end of March !

If this does occur (easyjet) it would not surprise me if a deal has been done to enable the politicos to laud the massive expenditure, after all it looked bad in real world terms at the outset, but with the challenges the island now faces it really is an outrage.

BTW did the directress ever receive the promised letter making it mandatory ?

Screw the runway extension and buy

instead!

Not only is it cheaper, but we'll get tourists from all over the globe wanting a ride on the only rocket-assisted airline in the world. Anyone got the number for USAF sales department?

and which rich bugger owns this then?

It's cute! :)

Thanks!

Prefer the rockets though! Real men don't eat quiche - none of this prancing up and down a runway in a dinky painted plane!

Fat Albert's the real thing! (and it fits a Hercules so the new airline can feature it as part of the service).

Maybe the Airbus is owned by someone with 'influence' here and they we are lengthening the runway to let him land. ;)

EU regs don't apply to the Isle of Man. Our government can subsidise an airline to its heart's content.

Really? Is this fact? Even if you were correct the EU rules include a regulation to counter the effect of subsidies and unfair pricing for air services from non-EU countries.

Lot's of technical data regarding the airport here

It's ok. Easyjet are coming

I feel reassured that we will now hit the 1 million target in2010...phew!!!

Airport Director Ann Reynolds has confirmed budget airline easyJet could be coming to the Island.

She says the company made an approach just after Christmas with a view to setting up a route to a UK destination.

Although she says the firm has shown an interest in operating from Ronaldsway, as yet it’s unclear which route might be chosen.

So - Signed, sealed and delivered.

As the Airport Manager no doubt says "The proof of the pudding is in the eating"

Breaking News...

Airport Director Ann Reynolds has confirmed that Ronaldsway Airport could be the location chosen for Virgin Galactic's first spaceport, paving the way for space tourists to fly to low Earth orbit from the Isle of Man - of course this depends on Richard Branson not choosing anywhere else in the world.

Airport Director Ann Reynolds then confirmed that Ronaldsway Airport could be the location for mankind's first contact with an alien race, assuming someone can launch an experimental warp-drive ship from the airport at the same time as a Vulcan survey vessel passes through the solar system.

Later on Airport Director Ann Reynolds confirmed that Ronaldsway Airport is one of the possible locations which might be chosen for the return to Earth of the Lord Jesus Christ and all his angels.

Of course I will be reassured when I see the first easy jet aircraft here that the well who knows near 80 million will have been worth every penny !!

I think the forecast passengers will then appear out of the woodwork and we may need a larger terminal !! FFS

Airport Director Ann Reynolds has confirmed budget airline easyJet could be coming to the Island.

She says the company made an approach just after Christmas with a view to setting up a route to a UK destination.

Although she says the firm has shown an interest in operating from Ronaldsway, as yet it’s unclear which route might be chosen.

Just so that I understand this correctly. In a time when all other airlines are cutting back sleazy are looking to expand with a route to the IOM?

Archived