Man Arrested After Weekend Graffiti Outbreak

Albert Tatlock

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I see he is a member of the 'Mannin Seyr' (formally Mannin Aboo) group on facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=mannin+s...052.89354540..1

It was just a matter of time until someone was caught.

If anything I think it'll spur more people on, espc the younger people in that group.

I dont really understand that group, its mostly made up of kids, who arent really going to do anything, apart from from " graffiti ".

I hope he's made an example of TBH.

I see he is a member of the 'Mannin Seyr' (formally Mannin Aboo) group on facebook.

It was just a matter of time until someone was caught.

If anything I think it'll spur more people on, espc the younger people in that group.

I dont really understand that group, its mostly made up of kids, who arent really going to do anything, apart from from " graffiti ".

I hope he's made an example of TBH.

I think 'they' will have to be 'careful' how this is treated, and vocalised, as there are many current 'sensitivities' involved in this area.

The response IMO should be all about how this group should really be going about this i.e. everyone is entitled to demonstrate peacefully, have their say, but without causing damage or even instilling fear etc. The emphasis needs to be on IMO: that this should be a public not a private or even underground 'organisation' - and to change any system, you have to be part of that system. IMO this group currently has a misguided and mis-targeted passion.

With the ending of the RHA, the impact of the VAT cut, OECD/UK/EU attacks on the island etc. - many people, including some senior ex-politicians other senior business people, believe there is a much bigger debate that needs to happen on the island as regards: independence; modifying our relationship with the UK; maintaining the relationship with the UK; or even looking into becoming an EU microstate etc. That debate is not happening, and is currently even being discouraged by Tony Brown. In the meantime, all people are getting is bad news, indecision and soon major cuts, including cuts in benefits, despite taxpayers money still being wasted and a heavily bloated civil service. At the same time unemployment is on the rise, which increases the number of disaffected people and gives them far more time - and here our unemployment figures are a far truer reflection of the number of disaffected locals, as only they and qualified IOM workers are actually entitled to claim unemployment. There may be a dip in unemployment over xmas, but I deeply suspect the <March figures will show a different picture especially with likely cutbacks to come.

The employment doors in the meantime are still wide open, with politicians even making recent changes to make obtaining work permits for some easier. Whatever your position on that, you have to realise that it is demonstrably disaffecting some locals.

People need to remember in their handling of this, that history repeatedly demonstrates that once organisations get their 'martyr'...they either tend to 'shut up or put up'. Groups that think they have no voice, that feel they are not being listened to, nor having their concerns addressed, and feel they have no vehicle for change - tend to put up.

This isn't just a problem for the legal authorities having to deal with some 'damage', it is a sign of a far deeper political problem that needs to be addressed by our politicians IMO - through debate.

many people, including some senior ex-politicians other senior business people, believe there is a much bigger debate that needs to happen on the island as regards: independence; modifying our relationship with the UK; That debate is not happening, and is currently even being discouraged by Tony Brown.

To be fair, what exactly do you expect to happen? Were Tony Brown to propose some grand constitutional debate this moment it would probably be taken as sabre rattling in Westminster. Secondly, the issue of modifying our constitutional staus requires a massive amount of ground work before any such discussion takes place. The economic basis for independence has to be thoroughly examined, the legal issues brought to light, domestic political reform and the diplomatic and international context considered. Other factors, such as how any such move for independence would be carried out, how the provision of higher education and other services would work, and so on and so forth.

This is a major undertaking, and if it's going to be done it needs to be done properly, requiring a large investment of time, money and manpower in reviewing and reporting our current status and future possibilities before anything even resembling a discussion can begin to take place, with the task made all the more difficult by the fact that we're such a small community and, unlike places like Cyprus, don't really have a pre-existing relationship with a country other than the UK. Of course, Tony Brown et al could indeed begin commissioning such reports with a view to providing the foundation for a future debate, but I'm willing to bet that were it not for this Mannin Seyr business there would be quite a few people accusing them of wasting money and trying to piss off the UK when attention should to be focused on the real problems we already have. It's not a view that I hold, as I agree that it might be beneficial to at least tentatively explore the possibilities, but it doesn't lack some justification.

the one at ballure said "Cyprus 1969" can anybody explain what that means / refers to.

It's the date Cyprus achieved independence from the UK. To be honest, it's not a bad campaign, better at least than the previous clumsy sloganeering and online bullshit about 'celtic heroes'.

Archived