Explanation Of Manx Unfriendliness

Ben Varrey

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ben is absolutely right.

If you judge the Manx from these forums, we are a bunch of non-stop miserable uninformed, whining, paranoid, befuddled loons with no sense of humour.

Why, I remember when this Forum was All Fields (and a lot of Fun)

In fact this thread is the first thread for months to show even the slightest hint of humour, and after months of unmitigated whinging Ben is to be congratulated for bringing out just the tiniest scintilla of a smile.

And we don't serve Time Travellers in this pub....

I have long wondered why Manx people are so unfriendly and I think I have finally realised what their problem is.

Inbreeding. This is plainly seen on those unfortunates with the overhanging browline, slack jaw and vacant looking eyes - as though they are repeatedly saying 'doh' 'doh' 'doh'

I have seen Manx Forums referred to as MF - is the alternative title of 'Meet the Fockers'?

Although I have seen the posts of one or two sensible posters, the rest of you do seem to suffer from some sort of mental feebleness. I find discussing things with people who are intellectually challenged very difficult. So, I bid you adieu.

I would ask you to remember that people away from the Island may read your messages and those postings don't say anything favourible about the Manx people. Don't scare them off, your gene pool really does need diluting - either that or get rid of some of the lifeguards patrolling said gene pool and let natural selection take place.

I wouldn't say that Manx people are unfriendly. They just have the capability to speak as they find. As you no doubt can see on this forum. Get over it.

In fact this thread is the first thread for months to show even the slightest hint of humour, and after months of unmitigated whinging Ben is to be congratulated for bringing out just the tiniest scintilla of a smile.

It's part of our national chacter though!

"curiously enough, there is a fierce and quarrelsome type of Manxman, luckily not common, but he is prepared to criticise everybody and everything and is most uncomfortable to meet"

'Portrait of the Isle of Man', Canon E.H. Stenning (1954)

Dupuytren's is a bastard though. Our family have it quite badly.

It makes the traditional Manx greeting of "Hey, give me six!" almost awkward.

I believe it's something to do with Viking ancestors - hereditary, as you note. Makes a handy cupholder though.....

WHERE ARE THE MODERATORS

I'm all for free speech but stuff like this from very rude people should be removed and the user banned

simples

THEY ARE HERE.

And your post is so wrong on so many levels, it hurts...

Well, Amedeus, I am so disappointed...... if you think this type of post is acceptable on Manx forums then I firmly believe you should consider what standards of politeness and rudeness is acceptable to you (they may be different to other peoples). I am not manx but my wife and family are......

Incidentally my 10 year old asked some questions about that post which were awkward for me to explain. Thats what led me to post....... Perhaps you should consider this in your role as moderator.

Please can you explain why my post is wrong on so many levels OR better still remove this whole thread ......

Incidentally my 10 year old asked some questions about that post which were awkward for me to explain. Thats what led me to post....... Perhaps you should consider this in your role as moderator.

A lot of the content on this forum offends sensitive adults. Perhaps you should consider this in your role as a parent when letting your 10 year old read it?

Not to sure how to post without being stereo-typical...However most Manx people do seem to have a similar sense of humour (which is great as long as you stay within their wavelength...), an inability to say the numbers "13" and "14" correctly and an almighty strong accent, which is like no other in the UK!!

How I feel so awkward when a Manx person shouts "Alright their yessir!" towards me, with my typical non understanding (English?!?) reply being "ok thank you, How are you?", when a Manx reply would be a full of bouncing energy "Hey boy!.... how you doing yessir?", I still have no idea if Manx people would prefer me to adopt their Language or just remain "English" and "ignorant" :lol:

I shall practice on my "aye...aye...aye", "you know like", "oh aye" which should be enough to hold a full conversation with a Manx person telling me half their life story/history...

Manx people unfriendly?....no quite the opposite....so long as you take time to understand them, slow down to snails pace, wait for the huge pauses between sentences and take a step back in time.

P.s Before anyone slates me on my spelling/grammar/punctuation, I'm well aware it is shit. Thank you.

WHERE ARE THE MODERATORS

I'm all for free speech but stuff like this from very rude people should be removed and the user banned

simples

THEY ARE HERE.

And your post is so wrong on so many levels, it hurts...

Well, Amedeus, I am so disappointed...... if you think this type of post is acceptable on Manx forums then I firmly believe you should consider what standards of politeness and rudeness is acceptable to you (they may be different to other peoples). I am not manx but my wife and family are......

Please can you explain why my post is wrong on so many levels OR better still remove this whole thread ......

Why the hell would you let your 10 year old read this forum?

YOU are wrong because a forum needs to be a place for free speech, yes - there has to be moderation; but the bar should be relatively high before intervention. I don't think someone being "rude" really constitutes a ban!!!!

The correct reaction is to either destroy the OP with sound rational argument or just ignore him for the pathetic troll that he is.

Not to sure how to post without being stereo-typical...However most Manx people do seem to have a similar sense of humour (which is great as long as you stay within their wavelength...), an inability to say the numbers "13" and "14" correctly and an almighty strong accent, which is like no other in the UK!!

How I feel so awkward when a Manx person shouts "Alright their yessir!" towards me, with my typical non understanding (English?!?) reply being "ok thank you, How are you?", when a Manx reply would be a full of bouncing energy "Hey boy!.... how you doing yessir?", I still have no idea if Manx people would prefer me to adopt their Language or just remain "English" and "ignorant" :lol:

I shall practice on my "aye...aye...aye", "you know like", "oh aye" which should be enough to hold a full conversation with a Manx person telling me half their life story/history...

Manx people unfriendly?....no quite the opposite....so long as you take time to understand them, slow down to snails pace, wait for the huge pauses between sentences and take a step back in time.

P.s Before anyone slates me on my spelling/grammar/punctuation, I'm well aware it is shit. Thank you.

"Chulse an' Orry" on Manx Radio a few years back was a brilliant impersonation of real old Manx folk. I knew two Onchan bin men who spoke and thought just like it and really the so called "Manx" is just another English fuelled dialect.

Try "The Singing Postman" on You-Tube (Alan Smethurst "You come Along a me") and dub over it a Manx accent of the old school and you see what I mean.

Try also "Wossa bottom fall out?" and "Oi Can't get a noice loafa bread"

Yes. I know it's Norfolk but yew Listen carefully now!

Bestiality & necrophilia orgies.

You've more explaining to do now.

Tried them once.

It was like flogging a dead horse.

Tried them once.

It was like flogging a dead horse.

Don't you mean shagging a dead horse? Not that I'm an expert on such things you understand!

You win this thread!

Bodjer, where do you want me to start? As far as I can see there are three starting points:

A - Free speech

B - Basic explanation of trolling

C - Bad parenting

If you chose A - Turn to page 34

If you chose B - Turn to page 53

If you chose C - Turn off your computer

Oh, and if you report this thread to the moderators again the only person getting a ban will be you for abusing the report button.

Archived