Tt/mgp Fatalities

ThankU

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh no, this old argument.

Bloodsport....my arse! :wacko:

Really how many fatalities has there been in any one particular sporting event related to tennis, football, golf, archery, diving, hanggliding, skiing, mountain climbing, etc, etc.

Name one sporting event that has had a higher death toll in its history than the TT.

"they died with a smile on your faces"

Really how many fatalities has there been in any one particular sporting event related to tennis, football, golf, archery, diving, hanggliding, skiing, mountain climbing, etc, etc.

Name one sporting event that has had a higher death toll in its history than the TT.

I'd like to have a crack at that - can you tell me what the TT's death toll is so I can start doing some research.

Football - 20 October 1982

Spartak Moscow v Haarlem

340 people were reportedly killed during a European Cup match in Moscow.

Police were blamed for the incident because they were said to have forced fans down a narrow, icy staircase before the end of the match.

But when a late goal was scored, exiting fans tred to re-enter the stadium, crushing the people caught in the middle.

Russians officials attempted to claim the official casualty loss was only 61 and the police were not responsible for the disaster.

The London Marathon has an average of one death a year of a person judged as being a direct result of running in the event. Keeping in mind the number of large marathins that are run around the world annually, they must have similar statistics. But, you wont find any proper statistics on it because running is healthy, right?

The statistics for people killed whilst riding in the TT are a red herring. It doesn't especially matter how many of them are killed - it's their choice to do it. What matters are:

1. The disruption to the lives of the majority of people who are not interested and have no involvement with the event;

2. The death and injuries caused to innocent people by the antics of the numerous hangers-on to the event;

3. The cost to the taxpayer of medical treatment to the above.

As the shenanigan clearly cannot be held without 1 and 2 and the numpties in Tynwald will do nothing about 3, this anachronism should be consigned to the history books, where it belongs.

The lack of consideration shown by the minority to the majority, actively promoted by our so-called Government, is terrible and simply reveals what selfish idiots they are. Unfortunately this seems to be a characteristic of the biking community - witness the problems with the Green Lanes/Paths.

I am pretty sure that more people have died climbing Mount Everest than have died in the MGP/TT.

My memory is a bit unclear, but I went through the accident statistics a long time ago and basically attempting to climb Everest is about 5 times more dangerous as racing in the TT. IE if you take part in 5 TTs your risk of death is the same as climbing Everest.

Both Nepal and China attempt to restrict the number of people climbing on the mountain and are against Everest Tourism - the IOM government actively supports entries to the TT to the extent the event would not exist if they withdrew their sponsorship.

Look. At one point during my younger years, I was in an accident whilst riding my pushbike, no one elso involved, just me trying to push the boundaries. If it hadn't been for the local emergency and medical services I would have been dead. And up to the point of the impact I had a smile on my face. I again have a smile on my face because I'm lucky enough to still be doing it. Now, if I had died, would that mean that all bike-riding should be outlawed.

The guys who have had major smashes at the TT and lived, some of them have returned to TT racing. Who are you to say that they shouldn't. And the ones who have sadly lost ther lives whilst in persuit of their dreams. Do you think they wouldn't want another crack at it if a miracle happenend and they were given another chance!!

And do you honestly thing that there have never been any deaths in these sports you list!!

Please......

Archived