General Election 2011 - Douglas North

Declan

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just listened to the John Houghton interview. Wow! How unself-aware is he? It tales a special kind of person to respond to a question about whether they can be a bit high-handed by demanding the interviewer treats him with more respect.

Good luck Thwo...you are at a disadvantage because you have both ability and integrity which appear to have no place in that constituency. I'm simply unable to make up my mind which of the 2 existing horrors I'd like you to unseat.

One thing you could do is to just chose for me and leave the second box blank :-)

Not quite cricket, as they say. I find that quite undemocratic. I also wonder at the wisdom of that remark on a public forum. (Even though you added a smiley)

I also wonder at the wisdom of that remark on a public forum

I do not believe that the average Houghton or Henderson voter would even understand the point that you're making. Laurel and Hardy deserve to be not just left off the ballot but tarred and feathered

Good luck Thwo...you are at a disadvantage because you have both ability and integrity which appear to have no place in that constituency. I'm simply unable to make up my mind which of the 2 existing horrors I'd like you to unseat.

One thing you could do is to just chose for me and leave the second box blank :-)

Not quite cricket, as they say. I find that quite undemocratic. I also wonder at the wisdom of that remark on a public forum. (Even though you added a smiley)

can only do smileys, don't know how to do tongue in cheek... :-)

It always amazes me when people not voting, or spoiling their papaer (or in this instance only picking one candidate) is classed as 'undemocratic'.

Surely Democracy is about being able to make a free choice, based on your opinions / beliefs or witholding your vote, if you choose to do so. The alternative is that you are potentially forced to vote for someone, even though you could be vehemently opposed to their beliefs / ideas / past record.

Now that would be undemocratic.

It always amazes me when people not voting, or spoiling their papaer (or in this instance only picking one candidate) is classed as 'undemocratic'.

Surely Democracy is about being able to make a free choice, based on your opinions / beliefs or witholding your vote, if you choose to do so. The alternative is that you are potentially forced to vote for someone, even though you could be vehemently opposed to their beliefs / ideas / past record.

I believe that voting should be mandatory although I admit that would be difficult to enforce and the number of spoilt votes could be significant. Still, with election turn outs of 50% or less and those votes shared by a number of candidates, the final winner, the one with the most votes, never has a proper mandate as it will always be a small percentage of the population that supports him/her.

Just listened to the John Houghton interview. Wow! How unself-aware is he? It tales a special kind of person to respond to a question about whether they can be a bit high-handed by demanding the interviewer treats him with more respect.

Along with his woodentop twin moron, Houghton isn't fit to hold public office....don't take my word for it, just listen to that interview. Arrogant, self-serving, bullying, ignorant, boorish....need I go on?

North Douglas has TWO seats. How is voting for just one candidate democratic? Theo Whatshisname does not do himself any favours in my eyes firing off cheap lines like "just vote for me" even if it was tongue in cheek.

That is no different to M, Beecroft parking her car ,covered in "vote for me" logos, on a public road and displaying doctored (illegal) reg. plates, or Lib Van attaching big posters to government owned railings. Don't these people think how their actions and words are percieved, or do they think voters are all thick.

North Douglas has TWO seats. How is voting for just one candidate democratic? Theo Whatshisname does not do himself any favours in my eyes firing off cheap lines like "just vote for me" even if it was tongue in cheek.

That is no different to M, Beecroft parking her car ,covered in "vote for me" logos, on a public road and displaying doctored (illegal) reg. plates, or Lib Van attaching big posters to government owned railings. Don't these people think how their actions and words are percieved, or do they think voters are all thick.

No but you obviously are, maybe when you learn how to spell I may take notice of what you have to say, you are Buster Lewin and I claim my £5.

Why did you take the posters down, surely a word in the right place would have sufficed.

That is no different to M, Beecroft parking her car ,covered in "vote for me" logos, on a public road and displaying doctored (illegal) reg. plates, or Lib Van attaching big posters to government owned railings. Don't these people think how their actions and words are percievedperceived or do they think voters are all thick.

No but you obviously are, maybe when you learn how to spell I may take notice of what you have to say, you are Buster Lewin and I claim my £5.

Why did you take the posters down, surely a word in the right place would have sufficed.

What are you on about?. Take what posters down? (are you getting confused by what I said about the Fairy Bridge "posters") How many spelling mistakes are there and why does that matter to you?

You are a knob and you can keep the £5 for some sweeties.

Edited to add ;

You should maybe check your punctuation before mocking my one (I think) spelling mistake. :)

Lib Van attaching big posters to government owned railings

I'm pretty sure there's some regulation in place in regards to posters, etc, during elections and it's allowed to stick them up in places where you wouldn't be allowed to during the year.

Lib Van attaching big posters to government owned railings

I'm pretty sure there's some regulation in place in regards to posters, etc, during elections and it's allowed to stick them up in places where you wouldn't be allowed to during the year.

Yes you're right, but I thought it allowed the placing of banners etc without restriction on walls,houses etc. where you would normally need planning consent. I did not think it applied to Government owned property.

Apologies if I'm wrong though.

Archived