General Election 2011 - Douglas North

Declan

Constituency Details - Douglas North

Have Henderson & Houghton's rants over the last year been enough to continue their reign in this constituency?

Manx Radio

Wikipedia

2006 Election

Candidates Declared

John Houghton

Manx Radio Page

Wikipedia Entry

Tynwald CV

Bill Henderson

Manx Radio Page

Wikipedia Entry

Tynwald CV

==================

Note I'll try and keep updating this post with links and information as the thread and the election develops.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Note to prospective candidates: in order to get my vote you must meet two crucial criteria:

1. not be Houghton

2. not be Henderson.

I always get confused with them two - which one is Laurel again?

• 3 weeks later...

Houghton and Henderson are good constituency MHKs and they are not afraid of the establishment. At the last election the two other candidates' votes put together hardly made an impact. The election before that they were unopposed.

Good guys as they are, the next five years the Isle of Man is going to require a lot more than a couple of strong willed back-benchers.

I wonder if Douglas North is going to provide a credible challenger.

Houghton and Henderson are good constituency MHKs and they are not afraid of the establishment. At the last election the two other candidates' votes put together hardly made an impact. The election before that they were unopposed.

Good guys as they are, the next five years the Isle of Man is going to require a lot more than a couple of strong willed back-benchers.

It would appear that it isn't. Which is criminal. One of your "strong willed back benchers" is a violent, racist homophobe and the other is a band-wagon jumping cretin. So sorry,(for example)Nelson Mandela and Lord Coe are "good guys"; the neanderthals of North Douglas are manure.

It would appear that it isn't. Which is criminal. One of your "strong willed back benchers" is a violent, racist homophobe and the other is a band-wagon jumping cretin. So sorry,(for example)Nelson Mandela and Lord Coe are "good guys"; the neanderthals of North Douglas are manure.

Could you elaborate on that please?

If we are to maintain the illusion that we are a democracy then every constituency should, at the very least, have an election. At the moment, the people of North Douglas are being denied the opportunity to vote - and that is wrong. A strong candidate could, I believe, dislodge either Tweedledum or Tweedledee because I'm very aware that there's a large number of people in the area who are far from satisfied with their representatives.

Note to prospective candidates: in order to get my vote you must meet two crucial criteria:

1. not be Houghton

2. not be Henderson.

From the Independent on Friday 21 january 2011....

Douglas North MHK John Houghton said estate roads ‘were not treated at all’ while constituency colleague Bill Henderson said Governor’s Hill residents were ‘left abandoned for the entire period with only one empty salt bin’.

Speaking in Tynwald on Tuesday, Mr Gawne thanked staff for their work in ‘exceptional circumstances’.

He said: ‘We have had the coldest December on record. We have spread above 5,000 tonnes of rock salt during the course of the last two months. In the course of an average annual spread of rock salt, we would use just over 1,000 tonnes.

‘The men have worked tirelessly to try and keep the main routes open.’

He added: ‘If, in the future, the honourable members for Douglas North are suggesting that we focus all our efforts on their estates so that their constituents can spend their time driving round Willaston and not being able to go anywhere else because the main roads are impassable, then we will consider that.’

Much as I'm no great fan of Phil Gawne, he hit the nails squarely on their thick heads on this one.

Theo, is an excellent business man, he runs a couple of hotels in Hutchinson Square.

he is also very active in promoting the Island through the Association of Hoteliers, I remember having a conversation with him a few years ago about some ideas for an intergrated website and the lack of a centralised systems.

If I was a in Douglas North, he would get my vote.

Archived