Gravy Train Gets New Engine?

Albert Tatlock

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They should spend that money on subsidising the fares on said engine. Why don't they make it attractive for people to commute from south to Douglas daily using public transport by maing the fares reasonable? What's the incentive to ditch the car when it costs less to drive in, even with extortionate petrol costs?

They should spend that money on subsidising the fares on said engine. Why don't they make it attractive for people to commute from south to Douglas daily using public transport by maing the fares reasonable? What's the incentive to ditch the car when it costs less to drive in, even with extortionate petrol costs?

I agree with you and I'm sure there'll be tons of reasons as to why not, but at the moment, I can't think of one.

I liked the quote by citizenx (not me before you ask)

Understand that the 'old boilers' are someway towards their resting place. However, what ever happened to ingenuity and forward thinking. Here we have a item made of fabricated parts to which we are advised are no longer able to be sourced - however there is such a thing as reverse engineering and we should be deploying the skills of local engineers and fabricators to help replace those 'worn' parts and help provide the longevity of the exisiting engines. Surely this keeps it 'local', supports local employment, retains the costs on the island and feeds into the community and economy - not take from it. I am sure that is what 'island' life is supposed to support and portray

My opinion is that 750k is a lot of money for a second hand engine and it would be interesting to know as to what parts are unable to be sourced. One way would be to stick the part list on here and see if 'we as a forum' can't come up with ideas or solutions. Another like the author stated, would be to use island based engineers, which would at least provide work.

ps, Is there loads of parts available for the second hand engine?

FFFFFFFFFFFFS! Why can they not just take their time and fix the old one? How much do we need a diesel engine anyway? That man in charge of the trains is a complete fuckwit, get rid of him quickly before he costs us anymore pension money.

The Reynolds of the railways?

Just get Guy Martin to propse to the BBC a new Documentray featuring him and Mave and how to restore a steam train engine, give them the old train on the condition the railways get it back once it's up and running and the BBC pay for everything ......... sorted Chief!

FFFFFFFFFFFFS! Why can they not just take their time and fix the old one? How much do we need a diesel engine anyway? That man in charge of the trains is a complete fuckwit, get rid of him quickly before he costs us anymore pension money.

The Reynolds of the railways?

Yes indeed, he's another of these colonial empire builders who's out of control. Time to terminate your contract Mistah Kurtz ?

I love it. £750,000 on a railway system that makes a loss each year anyway. Just in case the steam engine breaks down they have a diesel to pick it up and before diesel trains they did what?

Peter Maddocks - spares were not readily available and they couldn’t be used to recover trains in the event of a breakdown – a steam engine had to be kept in steam for that purpose.

If it breaks down get the passengers on a bus and then fire up another engine to pick it up. Is he saying that you would need another steam engine fired up all day, just in case? Bollocks.

My opinion is that 750k is a lot of money for a second hand engine and it would be interesting to know as to what parts are unable to be sourced. One way would be to stick the part list on here and see if 'we as a forum' can't come up with ideas or solutions. Another like the author stated, would be to use island based engineers, which would at least provide work.

ps, Is there loads of parts available for the second hand engine?

It will not be second hand, it is to design and build a new one.

Why? I have absolutely no idea when you consider there are hundreds of preserved railways in the UK who all manage to maintain obsolete diesel locomotives. FFS even the Groudle Glen can do it!

Just get Guy Martin to propse to the BBC a new Documentray featuring him and Mave and how to restore a steam train engine, give them the old train on the condition the railways get it back once it's up and running and the BBC pay for everything ......... sorted Chief!

Not Guy Martin I can not stand to hear him on TV or radio.Let him stick to what he does best on the track[most of the time].

Archived