Gravy Train Gets New Engine?

Albert Tatlock

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I trust our gullible well paid politicians will use the same type of impassioned reasoning they have just displayed over education cuts, when Cregeen and Long-gone approach Tinpot for approval of these purchases.

I was told last night that a group of IOM politicians and their partners, headed up by Clare Christian, recently made a visit to Barbados. Has anyone else heard about this? If this is correct I wonder what benefit has accrued to their employers, the Manx taxpayers?

Nooo we are all in this together*** do you not listen to our saviour Ding Dong?

This whole issue reflects a lot of light on the whole culture and practices of our Government and its senior civil servants. The guy that runs this lot has no interest in the national economy and the greater needs of the Treasury. He's only as good as the money he spends and he'll fight tooth and nail to maximise his budget, not to oversee the downsizing of his department's expectations and the contraction of his ambitions. Some would doubtless say that this competition for funding is healthy and makes department heads work harder but at a time when our economy is shrinking we need joined up government, not the vanities and conceits of these chequebook Charlies who measure their worth by the length and breadth of their C.V.

This whole issue reflects a lot of light on the whole culture and practices of our Government and its senior civil servants. The guy that runs this lot has no interest in the national economy and the greater needs of the Treasury. He's only as good as the money he spends and he'll fight tooth and nail to maximise his budget, not to oversee the downsizing of his department's expectations and the contraction of his ambitions. Some would doubtless say that this competition for funding is healthy and makes department heads work harder but at a time when our economy is shrinking we need joined up government, not the vanities and conceits of these chequebook Charlies who measure their worth by the length and breadth of their C.V.

Unfortunately I think you are right. The Civil Service management style is based on empire building and nobody is rewarded for cutting costs and saving money. They are taught to spend everything in their budget every year in fear that it may be cut the following year if they show savings.

Apologies to Ivor Biggun

Eddie’s budget said,

We’re bleedin’ dead,

as all departments are already heading deep into the red.

This budget speech,

I could never understand,

Written by a man who uses his right hand…

And that’s why…

He’s a Wanker,

He’s a Banker,

And he does no good, like he bloody well should

He’s a Wanker,

He’s a Banker

And we’d shoot him if we could

After shutting nursing homes, and taking sweeties off the kids,

Whilst signing still for £millions for consultants hefty bids,

At least we’ll get a loco,

To run along the line,

So the railway spotters can all have,

A wonderful time

And that’s why…

He’s a Wanker,

He’s a Banker,

He’s a Wanker,

He’s a Banker

Then Mr Public Servant, who earns twice as much as us,

And gets a golden pension, just to drive a fookin bus,

While I’ve got pains in me arm,

And got pains in me chest,

And all these money worries,

As I try to do me best

But it’s just ‘take take take….’

And that’s why…

He’s a Wanker,

He’s a Banker,

He’s a Wanker,

He’s a Banker

Could they not just borrow one from a railway in Wales or something, if needed?

Did you mean a Railway in Ireland?.....

I doubt a railway in Wales would lend it's locomotives to be regauged from 1'111/2 '' to 3' in emergency. It would be quicker to fire up a steam locomotive and run down the line to pick up the train.... That said there are Diesels bought by the Ffestiniog Railway from South Africa (one of which is still left in South Africa) which might be suitable candidates....

There are two (again historically significant) Diesel Railcars sat in the Carriage shed awaiting completion of restoration which a major amount of work was commenced on but which was discontined after some sort of funding wrangle..... Ok they wouldn't be able to tow a broken down train (a steam loco could do this quite capably), but they could supply a means of carrying passengers in an emergency (and be far more interesting than a more modern diesel)...

As for Albert Tatlocks ditty, to correct you but most Railway enthusiasts (who on occasions give up their spare time to contribute something to the railways - I'm talking like actively restoring locomotives or wagons or carriages ) are not exactly impressed by the suggestion of a £750,000 Diesel either and are making suggestions as to where far cheaper options could be.... I think most enthusiasts would prefer if £750,000 was to be spent on an additional IMR Loco it was spent on returning one of the mothballed loco's (like for example No1 Sutherland or No5 Mona or No6 Peveril) to service.... Furthermore the best option is felt to be a rebuild of the Viking with more modern motors for faster running which could save a fair bit of money.

No i dont think hes there just to run it down. he will put his all into it and try his best to make good of a bad thing. and if he cant turn it around i dont think anyone could. but i think its far to late for that now.

And this to be honest is the end of the plant.

mobile killing unit is what we will have next. so there will allways be true manx meat. but just not as we know it.

I heard the fat controller say that to fir eup a loco could take two hours and costs "loads". How much is loads and so what if it takes two hours, not going to starve to death half way up a mountain pass are they?. How many "loads" can you get for 750k? Will we have to emp[loy two CSs to oversee the training of a mechanic to service said train thing? What will it do between rrescue missions, of which I anticipate maybe 1 every two years?

No i dont think hes there just to run it down. he will put his all into it and try his best to make good of a bad thing. and if he cant turn it around i dont think anyone could. but i think its far to late for that now.

And this to be honest is the end of the plant.

mobile killing unit is what we will have next. so there will allways be true manx meat. but just not as we know it.

What's this got to do with trains?

Archived