Gravy Train Gets New Engine?

Albert Tatlock

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

£50,000 for design fees!!! These people are mental.

I'll make one for £50,000.

ahh inspiration smile.png

Road-Rail+vehicles+09.jpg

Put that angle grinder down and slowly step away from the Synkro!

Well I trust our gullible well paid politicians will use the same type of impassioned reasoning they have just displayed over education cuts, when Cregeen and Long-gone approach Tinpot for approval of these purchases.

An administration which puts luxuries such as shiny new buses and puff-puffs, and conveyor belts is rapidly proving it is not fit for purpose.

Grandiose purchases may have been acceptable when we were awash with UK VAT cash, but surely not now they are squandering our Islands safety net.

OUR RESERVES.

These may be healthy at present but if used as they are being used at the present time, to fund individuals pet schemes, how long will they last.

I worry for my children who need and require jobs to earn the cash to raise their children, and do not need shiny new Mercedes buses to transport them to the dole office. Scandalous.

The bus division, despite having many managers, has not long brought another highly paid senior post into creation, but yet another mate from the UK on a work permit

Just how many times have the steam trains broke down over the years?,I don't think I can remember any passengers stranded out in the outback of Fairyland with a broken down engine,it would have made the newspapers had it happened.

There are other steam railways all over the UK,so surely they must have bits which could be used by the ones who keep the trains running,looking at the way they lovingly polish and preen the engines,and the robust way they were built,there can't be much that would go wrong,these things were built to last.

In the last few years various narrow gauge ralways have acquired second hand diesels from the MoD or industrial plants like Shotton for refurbishment and regauging. Do you really think that those railways will pick up costs of anything like £750,000

OK they may be designed not to travel at full line speed but in an emergency when they are required to rescue a train provided they can pull that train does that matter.

Equally it probably would be fairly straight forward to alter the transmision and gearing

if required

Anyone who thinks is a good idea to close or reduce the steam/electric railways in any way is a total cock. If anything they should be used more by gearing them toward commuters and expanded the track back out to Peel.

Because the current UK experience is that cars have been abandoned and the roads are empty as commuters cheerfully swap comfort and convenience for over-priced, unreliable trains?

To some extent regarding train usage, yes. Rail travel is at it's highest level since the 1920s with many routes seeing a 90% increase in passengers in the last 6 years, hence the opening of new routes and services and long term planning for many more. Comfort and convenience? Have you driven in the UK recently?

Just out of interest, what's up with the other diesel loco that we have/had? Is it still about, and if so why can't they use that?

According to the IOM Newspapers article:

[Chief engineer on the railway Peter Maddocks] said a new loco was needed because the existing diesels had passed their useful working life, spares were not readily available and they couldn’t be used to recover trains in the event of a breakdown – a steam engine had to be kept in steam for that purpose.

He said that because of the system’s unusual gauge and clearances, no suitable second hand replacement could be found.

As has already been mentioned £50,000 has already been allocated (but not spent?) on the design fees for this new wondrous machine (and there was me thinking they'd already invented the internal combustion engine). Presumably this means that, as soon as anything goes wrong with it they'll need another new one because, being unique, spares won't be available - and certainly for sixty years which is what they got out of the last one. Of course with an engineering department of only 64 plus (Pink Book p38), it's unlikely they will have anyone spare to fix the old one.

Edited to add links

Do they really think the public is so thick?

In a word? Yes.

That said, this is just another instance of the kind of thing they've done so many times before, and we did allow Ding Dong to remain in the Keys long after he should have been ignominiously thrown out on his arse due to Mount Murray,

Well I trust our gullible well paid politicians will use the same type of impassioned reasoning they have just displayed over education cuts, when Cregeen and Long-gone approach Tinpot for approval of these purchases.

I was told last night that a group of IOM politicians and their partners, headed up by Clare Christian, recently made a visit to Barbados. Has anyone else heard about this? If this is correct I wonder what benefit has accrued to their employers, the Manx taxpayers?

I was told last night that a group of IOM politicians and their partners, headed up by Clare Christian, recently made a visit to Barbados. Has anyone else heard about this? If this is correct I wonder what benefit has accrued to their employers, the Manx taxpayers?

If they only went and did not come back I would say very valuable!

Archived