Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

from the list in the index there are actually 10 running this morning, but of course not the one you want (vic tower)!

sometimes there's about 3 or 4 working (by the latest update times)

There's a load of chaff in the list which has got left behind for some reason, something isn't clearing out the old images properly

this is only the top of the list !

post-1026-0-41299900-1423823416_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tempus Fugit

it would help if DoI could keep more of their webcams running laugh.png

From what I can see the webcams are utterly unreliable and no help at all. They might as well be removed and sold for scrap. For example, this morning we have a 'now you see it, now you don't' view of Douglas Harbour indicating that the Ben is either at Victoria Pier, or perhaps has already departed - I wonder which?

Do you mean HERE ?

The central image is static and never changes - look at the pages for the other cameras....

The live feed is the left hand image

No, the other one. One shows the ship while the other shows an empty pier - not unusual.. Many a time you can look at the 'live'web cams at night and see a daytime image, and vice versa. Might as well not bother!

Attached is a pic of the fishing boat that I took last night (from the outside deck) and from my vantage point in the executive lounge at the very front of the Ben, it didn't appear to be damaged in my humble opinion. The firemen boarded the Aoife Rose and gave it a good appraisal, I was viewing them/it from directly above from the projected window beneath the bridge. The Ben was two thirds alongside the gas mooring on Battery Pier with the trawler recessed away from any danger. As the Ben entered the harbour it appears that the port engine lost all power and the Captain was therefore unable to position the boat onto the linkspan. I at this stage had gone to the rear access for the car deck (by the bar) and eventually the Captain advised everyone that there was an issue probably due to fishing gear around the prop. I sat in the bar area and there was a very minor bump which I assume was the boat touching the gas mooring, though there is a chance that the Ben might have just spun slightly and caught the trawler, however, I didn't get that impression.

The Captain came into the Executive Lounge (which I had retired back to) and explained that chances are fishing gear is wrapped around the prop, divers were on the way and hopefully this was the problem, he also stated this over the speakers. Around 2015ish he came back into the lounge and said "there wasn't any rope or fishing gear found on or around the prop", so that was excluded as the cause of the problem. This is well worth noting as Mark Woodward seemed to imply to Woolley Mutton that fishing gear was the issue, this contradicted the captains information from the divers.

The blonde lady wearing a black coat in the interview by Woolley Mutton, who said she was very worried and went next to the lifeboat after hearing a loud bang, must have either very acute hearing or was perhaps on a different boat from the one I was on.

The Captain was very good humoured when he described how he was going to move the boat to either of the landing stages, and he kept everyone informed.

• Like 3

On the plus side the captain of the crushed fishing boat, no longer suffers from constipation.

Updated story: More details of Ben-my-Chree incident emerge. http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/updated-story-more-details-of-ben-my-chree-incident-emerge-1-7105188

Ben back on ferry duty after prop repairs: http://www.manxradio.com/newsread.aspx?id=75192

Edited by Truth Seeker

On the plus side the captain of the crushed fishing boat, no longer suffers from constipation.

Updated story: More details of Ben-my-Chree incident emerge. http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/updated-story-more-details-of-ben-my-chree-incident-emerge-1-7105188

how on earth do they manage to write waffle about nothing new :lol:

I think it says a lot about Mark "the prick" Woodwards honesty that he was still blaming fishing gear when it was known that this was not the case. The Racket's stock answer when problems occur seems to be to blame anyone else but themselves. Remember the passengers that were blamed for the Liverpool debacle?

• Like 2

The blonde lady wearing a black coat in the interview by Woolley Mutton, who said she was very worried and went next to the lifeboat after hearing a loud bang, must have either very acute hearing or was perhaps on a different boat from the one I was on.

It certainly appears that she had a different experience than the other passengers that were interviewed. Maybe she was stood right next to the hull when the two vessels came together?!?

I much preferred the second woman who was completely nonplussed by the whole thing.

I think it says a lot about Mark "the prick" Woodwards honesty that he was still blaming fishing gear when it was known that this was not the case. The Racket's stock answer when problems occur seems to be to blame anyone else but themselves. Remember the passengers that were blamed for the Liverpool debacle?

YUP ...... I thought it would have been an ideal opportunity for him to say something about the certainty of the user agreement being needed until 3050 to give us the need for a new ferry a missed opportunity perhaps !!! LOL

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tuesday :

Douglas to Heysham Ben-my-Chree Departure: 08:45 Expected Arrival: 12:15 Following the adverse weather forecast for the Heysham Port area, this sailing will now depart for Liverpool Birkenhead at 08:00hrs. Passengers are asked to check-in no later than 07:30hrs.

Heysham to Douglas

Ben-my-Chree Departure: 14:15 Expected Arrival: 17:45 Following the adverse weather forecast for the Heysham Port area, this sailing will now depart from Liverpool Birkenhead at 14:00hrs. Passengers are asked to check-in no later than 13:30hrs.

MUJ, they may well have found some very strange looking fishing gear 5 days and a minimum of 16 sailings after the incident but the IOMSPCo. haven't actually confirmed that this was the definite cause of the mechanical failure to one element of the Controllable Propeller Pitch system. Mark Woodward has advised me that it is their belief that fishing gear became entangled, was cut up and freed by the cutters and then partly ingested by the bow thrust units.

Now I can tell you that the Bow Thrusters were working that night, and I am very confused that Mr Woodward told Paul Moulton of the importance of full power to all engines when entering the harbour, yet he told me that there was no risk in sailing for an additional 5 days with reduced bow thrust power.

I have expressed to Mr Woodward that it is perfectly conceivable that the mechanical failure of one element of the CPP system could have been caused by other reasons, and that the bow thruster issues are entirely separate. I would have thought that the cutters would have completely shredded the alleged netting. IMO, it is very coincidental that the said netting would have ended up in the bow thrusters. In fact, assuming the fishing gear was actually found in the two bow thrusters 5 days later, it could have been ingested in Heysham or out at sea during that time, either way NO fishing gear was found on the original inspection!

Edited by Will Halsall
  • Like 1