Driver-Less Cars On The Island Roads

Fossils

I am sure that this will have been mentioned before, but I am frequently amazed/shocked/surprised by the sight of driver-less vehicles trundling around on the Island roads. Yes, on closer inspection, there may be someone down there behind the steering wheel. But how can he/she have proper control of the vehicle if the view through the windscreen is so badly obscured?

Get a cushion or get off the road.

old-lady-behind-steering-wheel.jpg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always been horrified how some car manufacturers don't consider short people when designing the flexibility of their vehicles. Women in particular sometimes struggle to reach the pedals unless they are pressed up against the steering wheel, height and steering wheel adjustment should be a compulsory fitment on all new cars.

I wonder if it was me you saw, Fossils. Truth is, the ratchet for the tilt forward seat (it's only a 2 door) isn't so good now, and keeps slipping. Usually at inopportune moments. Like going round a roundabout. There is a loud grating noise as the chair flops backwards and I end up facing the ceiling. It's getting to be really frustrating now, but I hope the screwdriver I have jammed in it te ratchet might hold it. Had to do something - I kept spilling my tea .....

Some of the drivers over here are (objectively speaking) worse than in America or Belgium.

I have no problem with it really, those people are easy to overtake. The only ones that cause me problems are once a queue build up people who don't leave a decent gap. I have no problem with not leaving a gap either if you're going to frigging overtake. But there are so many drivers here who don't understand how to overtake and that leaves me to overtake 4 or more in one go*. Which is fortunately do able in many places but often shocks the people in front who don't know what mirrors are for.

*I've managed double digits on the mountain road before. Much like going over the slock, it seems a lot of drivers don't realise you can see around many corners if you turn your head. Mind you it's very rare I get flashed at by ninnys on the mountain, over the slock it happens maybe one every twenty or thirty journeys where they don't seem to understand you can in fact drive at those speeds with a well maintained powerful car with decent tyres

(and no I'm not overtaking them on the right on right hand bends, that's suicidal with these ninnys)

I've always been horrified how some car manufacturers don't consider short people when designing the flexibility of their vehicles. Women in particular sometimes struggle to reach the pedals unless they are pressed up against the steering wheel, height and steering wheel adjustment should be a compulsory fitment on all new cars.

I keep seeing people sat inches from the steering wheel, arms bent.

I really hope their airbags never go off.

Archived