Ramsey Christmas Tree 2012

Thunderstruck

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dont know why this is in the news section......but anyway.

What an absolute shambles the xmas tree lighting was tonight. they really could not organise a piss up in a brewery.

They had 100s of people in parliament square trying to play dodge the cars, while the cars were trying to play dodge the people. cars couldnt get down the street or anything. what the eff has pudsey friggin bear got to do with xmas. there was no police keeping traffic moving or even a road closed for an hour. no music ( ive been told there was some IN the town hall, what about the 100s of other people outside) and some one blowing foam out of a window in the town hall like its snow.....tell you what......it wasnt!!!!! you cant even see half the tree cause of the sponsor sign around it. it really was a pure example of shite.

there is work in progress around the post office (old police station) ,major landscaping and piles of dirt, mud and security fencing, instead of resting that area this year - nope they stick a little tree in the middle of a mud filled building site!!!! its so crap its laughable.

What an absolute shambles the xmas tree lighting was tonight. they really could not organise a piss up in a brewery.

They had 100s of people in parliament square trying to play dodge the cars, while the cars were trying to play dodge the people. cars couldnt get down the street or anything. what the eff has pudsey friggin bear got to do with xmas. there was no police keeping traffic moving or even a road closed for an hour. no music ( ive been told there was some IN the town hall, what about the 100s of other people outside) and some one blowing foam out of a window in the town hall like its snow.....tell you what......it wasnt!!!!! you cant even see half the tree cause of the sponsor sign around it. it really was a pure example of shite.

there is work in progress around the post office (old police station) ,major landscaping and piles of dirt, mud and security fencing, instead of resting that area this year - nope they stick a little tree in the middle of a mud filled building site!!!! its so crap its laughable.

Meanwhile all the kids who went thought it was great because Santa was there for chats and cuddles as was Pudesy bear who had been into their schools today to collect the baubles they had made for Children in Need. The event organisers had not anticipated the sheer support that was there but did the best they could. As I say the kids thought it was great. Even better that they had helped raised funds for Children in Need which was the whole reason the event was put on today.

Yes it could have been better planned, yes the music was inside but my kids and all the kids I saw were thoroughly enjoying themselves. Get a grip and remember who it was for!

Meanwhile all the kids who went thought it was great because Santa was there for chats and cuddles as was Pudesy bear who had been into their schools today to collect the baubles they had made for Children in Need. The event organisers had not anticipated the sheer support that was there but did the best they could. As I say the kids thought it was great. Even better that they had helped raised funds for Children in Need which was the whole reason the event was put on today.

Yes it could have been better planned, yes the music was inside but my kids and all the kids I saw were thoroughly enjoying themselves. Get a grip and remember who it was for!

I think we all have a grip, and yes we all agree it is about the magic for the kids (that's why we would like to see a big magical looking tree & lights etc like the old days) maybe you have only been here living for the past 5 minutes? and never seen the big trees gone by! xmas.gif

Yes im sure the children did think it was good - but it is ONLY luck one of them was not hit by a car. As for the organisers!!! they absolutley should have anticiapted a huge volume of support, to not do so is grossly neglegent and irresponsible. They are the commissioners and have a duty of care, as does every one who organises public events. as you rightly say, "father christmas" was there for chats and cuddles!!!! but it was a crowded and dangerous place to do it. And i repeat, what the hell has pudsey got to do with christmas.

Just to correct a couple of points - it was NOT organised by the Commisioners but the Ramsey Chamber of Trade & Ramsey Rotary . Pudsey was there because they were raising funds for Children in Need. They had given the primary school kids a xmas bauble to decorate and enter a competition for £1 donation to CIN. Santa and Pudsey were putting these on the tree in the Town Hall. Yes there was a lot of people there. Yes it was totally under estimated. Yes it was switched at the last minute from an area that was far more suitable for purpose than Parliament Square. However, a responsible parent ensures their own kids safety. No one was hurt. The road closed itself as people didnt even turn down the street when they saw the people there. For the record. The guest appearance of Pudsey was THE main reason so many kids went to see the switch on. God forbid someone organises something for the community that was a victim of its own success.

Just to correct a couple of points - it was NOT organised by the Commisioners but the Ramsey Chamber of Trade & Ramsey Rotary . Pudsey was there because they were raising funds for Children in Need. They had given the primary school kids a xmas bauble to decorate and enter a competition for £1 donation to CIN. Santa and Pudsey were putting these on the tree in the Town Hall. Yes there was a lot of people there. Yes it was totally under estimated. Yes it was switched at the last minute from an area that was far more suitable for purpose than Parliament Square. However, a responsible parent ensures their own kids safety. No one was hurt. The road closed itself as people didnt even turn down the street when they saw the people there. For the record. The guest appearance of Pudsey was THE main reason so many kids went to see the switch on. God forbid someone organises something for the community that was a victim of its own success.

Either you were not there or you are telling a damn lie. "The road closed itself as people didnt even turn down the street when they saw the people there" Firstly cars DID turn into parliament street, the narrow point by the crossing was the worst, are you completley stupid to make a comment like that. Cars even had to reverse back out of parliament street because of the bottle neck created. And it WAS absolutely the responsibility of the organisors to ensure safety and adequate crowd and traffic control. there is not a single excuse or reason to justify the complete shambles and total lack of organisation.

I sincerely hope you are not either an organisor or associated with them if you think it is acceptable for a road to 'close itself', which it DID NOT! and if you continue to press this point i know of at least 5 other familes who have photographs of the cars trying to get through.

If the commissioners were not the organisers, then they are totally irresponsible for allowing a bunch of unorganised 'business owners' to use their premises.

Either you were not there or you are telling a damn lie. "The road closed itself as people didnt even turn down the street when they saw the people there" Firstly cars DID turn into parliament street, the narrow point by the crossing was the worst, are you completley stupid to make a comment like that. Cars even had to reverse back out of parliament street because of the bottle neck created. And it WAS absolutely the responsibility of the organisors to ensure safety and adequate crowd and traffic control. there is not a single excuse or reason to justify the complete shambles and total lack of organisation.

I sincerely hope you are not either an organisor or associated with them if you think it is acceptable for a road to 'close itself', which it DID NOT! and if you continue to press this point i know of at least 5 other familes who have photographs of the cars trying to get through.

If the commissioners were not the organisers, then they are totally irresponsible for allowing a bunch of unorganised 'business owners' to use their premises.

Nothing to do with the organisers. Don't think it is acceptable for a road to "close itself" but fact is it happened and the majority of cars avoided the area totally. Not saying that it is right to put motorists in that position but for 20 mins Ramsey had a bit of a crowd problem and the whole world comes crashing down. The kids with me were held very tightly and were not allowed to roam. We were not stood on a road but on a walkway. Parents made their own choice to stand on a road. No one forced them and certainly no one advocated the roamfree attitude that some empowered their toddlers with. The situation was far from ideal but ffs a bit of perspective on the situation. My children were my responsibility. No one elses. I believe they are talking about a Road Closure Order for next year so lessons have been learned. They are not ignoring the fact there was a problem. Just dont feel a need to totally berate them for putting something on which attracted by their own admission more that the usual 30 strong crowd.

Archived