Pinewood...more Govt Propaganda

Albert Tatlock

BBC news reporting how many jobs it will secure in the UK and how many supporting industries will benefit from a project of this size. I doubt it will have much effect for the IOM, certainly won't help with our job situation, maybe a small bounce in the share price perhaps. It will not fill the void left by the awol 8 million ! I however wait with baited breath for a government press release slapping themselves on the back.

"iom gov. fund jobs on the mainland" laugh.png

BBC news reporting how many jobs it will secure in the UK and how many supporting industries will benefit from a project of this size. I doubt it will have much effect for the IOM, certainly won't help with our job situation, maybe a small bounce in the share price perhaps. It will not fill the void left by the awol 8 million ! I however wait with baited breath for a government press release slapping themselves on the back.

That is the main purpose of this thread for many of us.

Not so funny if you lose your job, whilst £40M of our money is invested in Pinewood and the managed film fund, when it could be used to provide jobs here, all while they are taxing the poor on rents and taking money off blind people.

• Like 1

The Gov need to make sure at least a scene is filmed here for some credibility and kudos! BBC News mentions filming in the Isle of... Skye.

You know the bar scene in the first episode? The one where the bounty hunter is after Hans Solo?

An up to date version of that could be filmed in one of Ramsey's pubs, the decor may need a bit of work but the local patrons will pass just as they are for alien extras....

Why not the Marine where the original was shot?

Nevermind, for the next 3 years it can all be about STAR WARS, STAR WARS, STAR WARS. Has Eddie mentioned yet that they've got STAR WARS at Pinewood now? STAR WARS, STAR WARS, STAR WARS, STAR WARS, STAR WARS, STAR WARS, STAR WARS, STAR WARS, STAR WARS. Have we mentioned STAR WARS yet?

Hmmm...The farce is strong with this one:

post-2251-0-30670400-1368352759_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Nevermind, for the next 3 years it can all be about STAR WARS, STAR WARS, STAR WARS. Has Eddie mentioned yet that they've got STAR WARS at Pinewood now? STAR WARS, STAR WARS, STAR WARS, STAR WARS, STAR WARS, STAR WARS, STAR WARS, STAR WARS, STAR WARS. Have we mentioned STAR WARS yet?

Hmmm...The farce is strong with this one:

attachicon.gifeddieTeare.jpg

I fear you are right on this, Albert. I can already hear the likely twaddle flowing from Ministers at every opportunity. Perhaps Eddie Teare would table something along the lines "would my honourable friend join with me in congratulating Pinewood in achieving a monumental 1% increase in the share price after the starwars news was released".

Be careful of using this ploy Eddie, you have used this type of thing once before, It may well come back to bite you on the backside.

Not so funny if you lose your job, whilst £40M of our money is invested in Pinewood and the managed film fund, when it could be used to provide jobs here, all while they are taxing the poor on rents and taking money off blind people.

or it could be looked at as repaying part of the vat money that was stolen from the mainland?

or it could be looked at as repaying part of the vat money that was stolen from the mainland?

An interesting, albeit slightly plausible, conspiracy theory.

Could have been part of the pressure put on the island by the UK during the VAT renegotiations, and Allan and Eddie don't want to show weakness to the manx electorate?

However, it would imply falsehoods in Tynwald, which could never happen I'm sure.

So what makes this off island investment different from where the bulk of the reserves are invested? They'll be in a mix of cash, bonds and equities, pretty much exclusively off-island funding jobs in other countries. That's all part of economic diversification, and a sensible way to place investments.

I maintain that you lot are excited by this simply because it's movies.

So what makes this off island investment different from where the bulk of the reserves are invested?

This...

post-2251-0-54056800-1368428998_thumb.jpg

That money would be far better invested locally in new employment and training opportunities.

• Like 1

So what makes this off island investment different from where the bulk of the reserves are invested? They'll be in a mix of cash, bonds and equities, pretty much exclusively off-island funding jobs in other countries. That's all part of economic diversification, and a sensible way to place investments.

I maintain that you lot are excited by this simply because it's movies.

The amount for a start and the fact the non of the investment managers the Govt uses had previously invested in the company. Apparantly Teare believes he knows better than the advisors the Govt employers. That purely relates to the investment in shares

Then there is the link with the Media Fund. Does the Government invest anywhere else where it apperars that to invest you have to "give" the company you are investing in a large amount of money to manage, where they choose the project and earn from the project whether it makes a positive return or not.

Add on the fact that the Media fund was meant to "break even at worse" when in fact it has lost tens of millions & that it would be virtually impossible to sell the stock on the open market without a huge loss

This is a hugely different investment to where the bulk of funds are held by the Govt.

For Pinewood and the Govt in terms of the shares an awful lot is hanging on the planning decision due to be announced this Wednesday. If they get that the investment in shares might stand the test of time. The chances of the Media Fund breaking even are dependent on hitting the jackpot again on one film as per Waking Ned

Eddies procrastination over the awol 8 million as highlighted by KB merely serves to illustrate the true nature of the media fund !

What is left is a basket case of movies all selling for £1 in the reduced baskets and unlikely to re coup anything anytime soon, imo we have a long way to go if we are to celebrate the investment talents of Eddie Teare.

The farce is truly strong !!

Looks like the development of the site may go through. £200m.

From BBC news website (can't do the link).

Petitions raised locally seem to indicate that when the planning permission was turned down last year, a group was formed to appeal against the decision and it may yet swing in their favour.

Though what this means....

Looks like the development of the site may go through. £200m.

From BBC news website (can't do the link).

Petitions raised locally seem to indicate that when the planning permission was turned down last year, a group was formed to appeal against the decision and it may yet swing in their favour.

Though what this means....

There can still be an appeal, and knowing some of those opposed to this I'm sure there will be an appeal if planning is granted today.