More Great Publicity For The Island....

thebees

At least the landlord wouldn't have needed to replace the lino around the loo when they moved out if he'd let it to them .. and the loo seat hinges wouldn't have worn out.

Hope they find somewhere better now, at a better rent.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have found that people who show very anti views on something like this, have a good reason in their own mind for their, on the face if it, irrational hatred of some other peoples lifestyle choices.

They are often of the same persuasion as the people that they like to publicly slag, they put up a huge front, by way of abuse, to cover their own real feelings on the matter.

Could this be the case here?

Do we not have anti discrimination laws on the island? I know we are behind with disability legislation but what about something like this?

I have found that people who show very anti views on something like this, have a good reason in their own mind for their, on the face if it, irrational hatred of some other peoples lifestyle choices.

They are often of the same persuasion as the people that they like to publicly slag, they put up a huge front, by way of abuse, to cover their own real feelings on the matter.

So you're saying that because they're always banging on about it, Doolish Goulish, Cross Ross etc. are probably paedos?

Ok just read through the thread, oh dear are we really this petty/small minded anyway a question/observation does spring to mind.

Has anyone spoken to the landlord / lady to find out exactly what was said?

God forbid but the two ladies in question might have taken the rejection the wrong way or miss interpreted what was said everyone assumes what they've said is 100% verbatim.

Not casting any stones but many years ago when working as a 'Manager' I had cause to say _no_ to an employee who wanted something outside of the companys policies, nothing sordid I hasten to add. This gent immediately complained to my boss saying I was racist and had denied him due to him been for want of a better word 'black'. I was hauled in and my boss attempted to drag me over the coals, I politely pointed out the various policy violations that would occur if the gent where given what he asked for and pointed out that as the policy had no reference to skin colour his ethnicity had nothing to do with it!

My point in this is that certain 'people' can use their own diversity as a weapon if they don't get their way.

Ok just read through the thread, oh dear are we really this petty/small minded anyway a question/observation does spring to mind.

Has anyone spoken to the landlord / lady to find out exactly what was said?

God forbid but the two ladies in question might have taken the rejection the wrong way or miss interpreted what was said everyone assumes what they've said is 100% verbatim.

Not casting any stones but many years ago when working as a 'Manager' I had cause to say _no_ to an employee who wanted something outside of the companys policies, nothing sordid I hasten to add. This gent immediately complained to my boss saying I was racist and had denied him due to him been for want of a better word 'black'. I was hauled in and my boss attempted to drag me over the coals, I politely pointed out the various policy violations that would occur if the gent where given what he asked for and pointed out that as the policy had no reference to skin colour his ethnicity had nothing to do with it!

My point in this is that certain 'people' can use their own diversity as a weapon if they don't get their way.

Nah.

It has nothing to do with what the landlord did or did not say.

It's all do do with the reaction of some posters on this forum. That's the real issue.

At the end of the day it is the guys property he has the decision of who he does or doesn't rent to, is it really any different to the adverts you see where people put things like no smokers, No pets, No families etc. You could argue smokers, pet owners and parents are being discriminated against. I would think these ladies will in the wrong run be happy could you imagine having a landlord who doesn't like you? he could make your life hell.

Hmmmm. I'm not sure about this issue. On the one hand, to refuse a couple for being gay just seems bonkers, BUT I also think a private landlord can rent his property to whomever he likes. If he doens't like the look of someone, for whatever reason, he can say no.

The chap has just been on the radio, citing religious reasons, so presumably he'd refuse an unmarried heterosexual couple too.

Could this be the case here?

Do we not have anti discrimination laws on the island? I know we are behind with disability legislation but what about something like this?

It's a good question Blade,and as the Govt are so keen to promote the Island as an International /Global player you would expect it to be a leading jurisdiction with anti discrimination law firmly implemented .

http://www.gov.im/cso/ViewNews.gov?page=lib%2Fnews%2Fcso%2Fchiefministerext1.xml&menuid=11570

The bill is being drafted and I expect it will go through on its first reading, then Manannan and his narrow minded bigots can go put their heads in the oven :D

At the end of the day it is the guys property he has the decision of who he does or doesn't rent to, is it really any different to the adverts you see where people put things like no smokers, No pets, No families etc. You could argue smokers, pet owners and parents are being discriminated against. I would think these ladies will in the wrong run be happy could you imagine having a landlord who doesn't like you? he could make your life hell.

Come on Thommo, its nothing like a landlord saying he does not want to rent to smokers, pets or children, all of those can and often do, cause damage to the rented property.

There is no law regarding this, on the Island. If one reads the link provided, it reveals that the Island did not bring the legislation in.

Will our 'openly homosexual' Chief Minister please step forward and make some sort of statement?

What if he refused a prospective tenant on the basis of skin colour on the basis that he doesn't like blacks or doesn't like Chinese people.

Do you think that would that be acceptable?

Archived