More Great Publicity For The Island....

thebees

This is all over facebook and in the local press too. WTF? You are ok to have a house but then you are not because the landlord isn't fond of 'the gays' jesus H, which century is it? Is there not some kind of law against this kind of discrimination already? Surely there must be. I'm mortified, imagine if any of my way cosmopolitan friends here about this kind of thing going on here, they'll never come here again, omg, this place really is a joke (and not a very funny one, you can see how/why people go mad, it beggars belief). I am outraged.

Before we get our pitchforks out, I for one would like to see actual proof that they were turned down because of their homosexuality.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kate Beecroft MHK said: ‘I find the situation that you have brought to our attention is appalling.

‘Liberal Vannin believes in equality for everyone regardless of race, religion or sexual orientation and will support any changes in legislation that will help to achieve this.’

I'm all for equality, but surely a property owner has the right to discriminate as it relates to his or her own private property? I mean, we might think it reprehensible for someone to do that, but surely private property rights overrule equality rights? Another example: if someone advertises a property and says "must speak English" or "must be female", is that discrimination or is it their right because it's their private property?

This is all over facebook and in the local press too. WTF? You are ok to have a house but then you are not because the landlord isn't fond of 'the gays' jesus H, which century is it? Is there not some kind of law against this kind of discrimination already? Surely there must be. I'm mortified, imagine if any of my way cosmopolitan friends here about this kind of thing going on here, they'll never come here again, omg, this place really is a joke (and not a very funny one, you can see how/why people go mad, it beggars belief). I am outraged.

Before we get our pitchforks out, I for one would like to see actual proof that they were turned down because of their homosexuality.

Er, i think the 'religious' thingy might be a clue....

What religious thing???

What religious thing???

Read the link provided....

Kate Beecroft MHK said: ‘I find the situation that you have brought to our attention is appalling.

‘Liberal Vannin believes in equality for everyone regardless of race, religion or sexual orientation and will support any changes in legislation that will help to achieve this.’

I'm all for equality, but surely a property owner has the right to discriminate as it relates to his or her own private property? I mean, we might think it reprehensible for someone to do that, but surely private property rights overrule equality rights? Another example: if someone advertises a property and says "must speak English" or "must be female", is that discrimination or is it their right because it's their private property?

As I see it there is a huge difference between someone limiting who has access to what is classed as private property(as in there own home) and a privately owned commercial property for public let or lease.

Just to put a bit more emphasis on my point imagine if a taxi driver said no blacks could be transported in his cab,it's not quite the same thing as a truly private car or property is it?

ETA: If it's available for Public sale or commercial let then all prospective customers/ tenants should have equal opportunity

What religious thing???

Read the link provided....

Which link? I already went on the Gay News and IOMToday and didn't see any reference to religion.

As I see it there is a huge difference between someone limiting who has access to what is classed as private property(as in there own home) and a privately owned commercial property for public let or lease.

Just to put a bit more emphasis on my point imagine if a taxi driver said no blacks could be transported in his cab,it's not quite the same thing as a truly private car or property is it?

I would find it totally reprehensible for a taxi driver to say "no blacks" or "no whites", but I would respect his right to be an asshole if it's his car.

This story surprised me as even without legislation, I struggled to believe these kinds of attitudes persisted in a modern society.

Then I read further and realised the property in question was in Ramsey.

I am no longer surprised.

Hmmmm. I'm not sure about this issue. On the one hand, to refuse a couple for being gay just seems bonkers, BUT I also think a private landlord can rent his property to whomever he likes. If he doens't like the look of someone, for whatever reason, he can say no.

The chap has just been on the radio, citing religious reasons, so presumably he'd refuse an unmarried heterosexual couple too.

(Well that answers TJ about "What religious thing?" - Does no one read at least the previous page before posting?)

Judging by the Manx Radio piece, the property seems to have been let out through an agent, so if there was an objection to unmarried couples of any gender combination, then you would think that the owner would have thought to mention it to the agent before putting on the market (there's a lot of heterosexuals around, apparently).

I would find it totally reprehensible for a taxi driver to say "no blacks" or "no whites", but I would respect his right to be an asshole if it's his car.

But under those circumstances of plying for hire or offering tenancy for rental it isn't as simple as saying it's a private car or property.

Hmmmm. I'm not sure about this issue. On the one hand, to refuse a couple for being gay just seems bonkers, BUT I also think a private landlord can rent his property to whomever he likes. If he doens't like the look of someone, for whatever reason, he can say no.

The chap has just been on the radio, citing religious reasons, so presumably he'd refuse an unmarried heterosexual couple too.

(Well that answers TJ about "What religious thing?" - Does no one read at least the previous page before posting?)

What religious reason is there to not allow two lesbians to move into a property? I demand a book, chapter and verse from the Bible. Even according to the Old Testament, there is actually no biblical law against lesbianism; it was merely discouraged because it was associated with Egyptian culture.

But under those circumstances of plying for hire or offering tenancy for rental it isn't as simple as saying it's a private car or property.

Agreed. They enter into a contract with the government which means they must abide by certain rules and regulations in order to trade.

Archived