More Great Publicity For The Island....

thebees

It sounds as if someone from the church has had a word with the owner about the couple the agent was about to rent the property to.

Can you imagine that? I mean, A nosy, bigoted person in a church???whistling.gif

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This story surprised me as even without legislation, I struggled to believe these kinds of attitudes persisted in a modern society.

Then I read further and realised the property in question was in Ramsey.

I am no longer surprised.

That is a very fair comment Ans, let us not forget Ramsey's history with things like this.

The nightclub that was in the Apart Hotel where Charterhouse are now was run by Indian Asian's, they were subject to constant abuse/ violence and taunts of being "Pak**s" which was not only narrow minded but wrong in all sorts of ways.

I have had gone out for a few beers in all sorts of places all over the UK and further afield but I have never come across a town with such a bad atmosphere as Ramsey after 11pm.

It sounds as if someone from the church has had a word with the owner about the couple the agent was about to rent the property to.

Can you imagine that? I mean, A nosy, bigoted person in a church???whistling.gif

I bet they're a MF member.

Good of you to confess! biggrin.png

I bet they're a MF member.

Good of you to confess! biggrin.png

What if it was the other way around: would it be okay for a gay couple to refuse to let a homophobic religious nut to rent their property? :)

This story surprised me as even without legislation, I struggled to believe these kinds of attitudes persisted in a modern society.

That is a very fair comment Ans, let us not forget Ramsey's history with things like this.

The nightclub that was in the Apart Hotel where Charterhouse are now was run by Indian Asian's, they were subject to constant abuse/ violence and taunts of being "Pak**s" which was not only narrow minded but wrong in all sorts of ways.

I have had gone out for a few beers in all sorts of places all over the UK and further afield but I have never come across a town with such a bad atmosphere as Ramsey after 11pm.

Good post BR.

As a white dude (erm red faced Scotsman) ,living in the far east, I can testify that being subject to any sort of discrimination is not good. I get it every day.

It's such a shame the "developed" world is no better than the others.

Shame on the trolls who come online just to be noticed... and to make their invented point just because they want to start an arguement.

Thousands of pounds spent on education just to make right wing bigots. Shame on them. The trolls as well as the bigots.

I am glad to see that most people on here are sensible and can see that sexual orientation has nothing at all to do with being a good tenant! Let us not forget, however, that the UK has also had similar cases (the B&B was the main one) so we are not alone in having small minded idiots.

Manannan - What reason would you have for not wanting to rent a property to "those two"? Do they scare you? whatever.gif

No. They disgust me.

And that is my opinion - shared by the landlord.

Their house, their rules, their choice.

These faggots should not be forcing legislation on anyone, telling them what to do with their personal property.

Speechless

This sort of unfortunate attitude usually only persists within an individual until that person finds him or herself at the other end of discrimination, when you yourself are being ill treated. Then you will be the first to jump up and ask for help. Live and let live.

I think that's a bit naïve of you. It usually persists after they find themselves or their mates at the other end of it as well.

Consider for example:

[...]Manannan - What reason would you have for not wanting to rent a property to "those two"? Do they scare you? whatever.gif

I don't blame him if they do. Have you seen their pictures?

and

Some people are paedophiles. They disgust me. Some people are gay. They disgust MANANNAN. Some people are disgusted by gay people. Such people disgust Manxman1980. All of us think our own feelings are OK and everyone else is a "small minded idiot". Funny old world.

But attack a member of the establishment and all of a sudden Norseman turns into Mr Political Correctness

Agreed. The antisemitic sentiments displayed anonomously by some of the cowardly posters in this thread are completely disgusting and I would think bordering on the illegal.

Clearly for some people human rights matter. But obviously not other people's.

The nightclub that was in the Apart Hotel where Charterhouse are now was run by Indian Asian's, they were subject to

constant abuse/ violence and taunts of being "Pak**s" which was not only narrow minded but wrong in all sorts of ways.

I have had gone out for a few beers in all sorts of places all over the UK and further afield but I have never come across

a town with such a bad atmosphere as Ramsey after 11pm.

Try having a wander around Douglas at night some time!!

Kate Beecroft MHK said: ‘I find the situation that you have brought to our attention is appalling.

‘Liberal Vannin believes in equality for everyone regardless of race, religion or sexual orientation and will support any changes in legislation that will help to achieve this.’

I'm all for equality, but surely a property owner has the right to discriminate as it relates to his or her own private property? I mean, we might think it reprehensible for someone to do that, but surely private property rights overrule equality rights? Another example: if someone advertises a property and says "must speak English" or "must be female", is that discrimination or is it their right because it's their private property?

Unfortunately there is no Equality Bill in the isle of Man so these types of discrimination are not illegal here (yet).

The Viking closed about 15 years ago so how can you compare what happened back then to Ramsey today?

As far as establishments go, off the top of my turban, Ramsey now has 4 Chinese, 3 English, 1 Indian, at least 1 Italian and 1 Turskish kebab house and I'm sure I've missed plenty. None of these have been torched or received racial abuse and actually do quite well.

Try having a wander around Douglas at night some time!!

Oh I have spent many a night in Douglas but I find it far more welcoming than Ramsey.

I agree that there is trouble in Douglas but there is in most places, Ramsey takes it to a whole new level of bigotry.

Alf Garnett would be a shoe-in for Mayor.

Archived