More Great Publicity For The Island....

thebees

Perhaps Manannan could explain why he/she uses the word "faggots" to describe gay blokes and how it came about to be used. I think it is another wretched American import.

Yup.

Origin:

1910–15, Americanism; compare faggot a contemptuous term for a woman (from circa 1590), perhaps the same word as fagot.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the end of the day it is the guys property he has the decision of who he does or doesn't rent to, is it really any different to the adverts you see where people put things like no smokers, No pets, No families etc. You could argue smokers, pet owners and parents are being discriminated against. I would think these ladies will in the wrong run be happy could you imagine having a landlord who doesn't like you? he could make your life hell.

What if he refused a prospective tenant on the basis of skin colour on the basis that he doesn't like blacks or doesn't like Chinese people.

Do you think that would that be acceptable?

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest, if he chooses to lose money because he doesn't like the colour of someones skin that's his problem. This guy has his views and he can rent his property to whoever he wants

Hmmmm. I'm not sure about this issue. On the one hand, to refuse a couple for being gay just seems bonkers, BUT I also think a private landlord can rent his property to whomever he likes. If he doens't like the look of someone, for whatever reason, he can say no.

The chap has just been on the radio, citing religious reasons, so presumably he'd refuse an unmarried heterosexual couple too.

(Well that answers TJ about "What religious thing?" - Does no one read at least the previous page before posting?)

Judging by the Manx Radio piece, the property seems to have been let out through an agent, so if there was an objection to unmarried couples of any gender combination, then you would think that the owner would have thought to mention it to the agent before putting on the market (there's a lot of heterosexuals around, apparently).

No f'ing way, you say there are loads of heterosexuals around, quick barricade yourselves in, the heteros are coming, and if they get near you; you'll be one of 'em!

Oh dear, there are some right nutters around aren't there!

I'm conflicted on this one. If I was renting out a property out I wouldn't give a toss about the sexuality, race, ethnicity etc of any prospective tenants, however, I most certainly would discriminate against anyone I perceived to be 'chavvy' as having had many neighbours of this type over the years I can attest that very few actually look after the property or show any respect for others living near them.

So in short, even although I think the landlord in question is a tosser for doing this, I have to respect his right to choose whomever he wishes to rent his property to since I would do the same, well sort of...

Try having a wander around Douglas at night some time!!

Oh I have spent many a night in Douglas but I find it far more welcoming than Ramsey.

I agree that there is trouble in Douglas but there is in most places, Ramsey takes it to a whole new level of bigotry.

Alf Garnett would be a shoe-in for Mayor.

They may not like foreiners up there but they don't kick your head in for daring to breath like they do here in Douglas.

This story surprised me as even without legislation, I struggled to believe these kinds of attitudes persisted in a modern society.

Then I read further and realised the property in question was in Ramsey.

I am no longer surprised.

That is a very fair comment Ans, let us not forget Ramsey's history with things like this.

The nightclub that was in the Apart Hotel where Charterhouse are now was run by Indian Asian's, they were subject to

constant abuse/ violence and taunts of being "Pak**s" which was not only narrow minded but wrong in all sorts of ways.

I have had gone out for a few beers in all sorts of places all over the UK and further afield but I have never come across

a town with such a bad atmosphere as Ramsey after 11pm.

I wouldn't imagine Baghdad or Kabul are particularly wonderful on a Saturday night either.

They may not like foreiners up there but they don't kick your head in for daring to breath like they do here in Douglas.

When you say "Douglas", are you talking about within alcohol establishments (which are the same in most places), or are you talking about the entire town? I have walked through Douglas late at night on many occasions since I was a child and have never experienced any problems.

What part of Douglas do you go to Finlo? been out many times in the last 20 years never once got into a fight or been assaulted. Pretty shit night out but to be fair it is safe

Ramsey is the same. What usually happens is that a bunch of guys from Douglas or elsewhere turn up pissed on a coach trip or something. They start giving the Ramsey guys shit and then wonder why they get battered.

Then when they wake up the next morning they tell everyone how rough Ramsey is and that's why they've got 2 black eyes.

I wouldn't imagine Baghdad or Kabul are particularly wonderful on a Saturday night either.

They used to be. Before we went there.

I've never been there, have you?

Archived