Greatest Sitcom

Rhumsaa

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frank Spencer was fucking ACE!

If you cannot watch that and laugh out fucking loud at the tragicness of his bad luck / clumsiness / misfortune then you are berefet of something or other.

Anyhoo, if you want something more modern and hip, check out Uncle on BBC3 on a Monday night.

Frank Spencer was fucking ACE!

If you cannot watch that and laugh out fucking loud at the tragicness of his bad luck / clumsiness / misfortune then you are berefet of something or other.

Anyhoo, if you want something more modern and hip, check out Uncle on BBC3 on a Monday night.

schadenfreude?

What's the view on Mrs Brown's Boys? I'm not a fan. Up Pompeii, how about that? Any one remember Harry Worth? But yes Hancock was brilliant. Many of the earlier sitcoms were adapted and re recorded for radio and I still listen on R 4 extra. Navy Lark, Hancock, Men from the Ministry

Mrs Brown - occasionally hilarious, often cringeworthy, there's a certain joy in watching the obvious set-ups being constructed. Having an Irish mammy is an advantage to enjoying it.

Harry Worth - fiinding the shop window reflection gag incredibly funny is one of my earliest TV memories. Can't remember a single other thing about the show.

A Sharp Intake of Breath?

• 2 weeks later...

We must give a mention to Ken Jones who played 'Horrible' Ives in one of the greatest sitcoms ever, Porridge. He'd played with Ronnie Barker before but this was his most memorable role, as part of a wonderful ensemble that made Porridge so special. If only they'd made more of them; but after the death of Richard Beckinsale, who was such a subtle and nuanced foil to Ronnie Barker, they called it a day. A great shame for British comedy.

RIP to Ken Jones - a very funny man.

Porridge stopped in 1977, 2 years before Beckinsale died. Yes there was the film and Going Straight, but Porridge was over, Fletch and Godber released

I've been thinking again and I am surprised that Reggie Perrin and Rising Damp haven't been mentioned

Porridge stopped in 1977, 2 years before Beckinsale died. Yes there was the film and Going Straight, but Porridge was over, Fletch and Godber released

I've been thinking again and I am surprised that Reggie Perrin and Rising Damp haven't been mentioned

Though the series had stopped he worked on the 'Porridge' film in 1979, the last completed project he did before he died that same year.

Archived