Greatest Sitcom

Rhumsaa

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fawlty Towers IMHO was very over-rated. Very funny yes, but a step backwards into sitcom cliche for Cleese, who'd done similar characters for Python and at the same time had pushed the comedy envelope. A bit like the Beatles after the Beatles, I don't think he did much creatively after Python. Only just makes the top ten for me.

Greatest British sitcoms ? Steptoe and Son, Dad's Army, Only Fools and Horses. Probably in that order. Porridge was great too but they didn't make enough of them. There are plenty of others I rate too, but off the top of my head these would rate the highest. Fawlty Towers would be a few places below all these.

Greatest American sitcoms ? It's between Bilko, M.A.S.H, and Cheers for me; but I think it's harder to judge American comedies. Some of the classics go back to the fifties, and there's been a lot more of them. There are many that we're not that familiar with. Happy Days was great too, and TBBT is a great contemporary sitcom.

It's tricky because your tastes do change but I would go for Fawlty Towers (or Flowery Twats if you cared to read the sign at each episode which had a different near anagram of the name), One Foot in the Grave, Malcolm in the Middle and Black Adder.

One Foot was very well written but could easily have been overlooked as yet another middle class farce of miscommunication and misunderstanding, but it had a poignant sub-text that gave the characters real depth and the humour an edge.

Dad's Army and Pheonix Nights are two I can watch over and over again. I find Men Behaving Badly funny sometimes, mood dependant though.

ETA: Forgot these two - Dinner Ladies and Acorn Antiques, one of the best comedy actresses ever and one of the best comedy writers ever IMO.

Lots of honourable non mentions, Bread, , liver birds, butterflies, all gas and gaiters, meet the wife , last of the summer wine, all whimsical. Soap from the us

Worst sitcom at present top gear, unintentionally. 3 aging petrol heads do stupid things in a warehouse studio

Anyone remember Agony?

Of the current crop I like Grandmas House, very quirky, lots of angst

I'm sure I read once that there are 3 great sitcoms produced each decade. For me the list would have to include:

Fawlty Towers

Only Fools and Horses (got a bit stale towards the end)

The Office (like FT, only did 12 episodes plus a Christmas special)

Men Behaving Badly

The Royle Family

The Simpsons

Family Guy

(do these last 2 count?)

Archived