Israel vs. the rest of the world?

spook

1 minute ago, quilp said:

Do you even accept the reasons why Netanyahu adopted this policy? I appeal you, take 5 minutes to read why it became so. Take-in the fact that when Netanyahu came to power in January '23, 20,000 new work permits were issued to workers in the gazan enclave, enabling many thousands more in families to escape absolute poverty and to enjoy at least a modicum of stability...

https://www.timesofisrael.com/for-years-netanyahu-propped-up-hamas-now-its-blown-up-in-our-faces/

I have read that piece, but why one would believe an opinion piece about his motives when he's openly stated them... 

“Anyone who wants to thwart the establishment of a Palestinian state has to support bolstering Hamas and transferring money to Hamas,” the prime minister reportedly said at a 2019 meeting of his Likud party. “This is part of our strategy — to isolate the Palestinians in Gaza from the Palestinians in the West Bank.” - https://www.vox.com/23910085/netanyahu-israel-right-hamas-gaza-war-history

Hardly. Whatever the populist notion says to you, Israel hold all the strings, and always will. The existential threat for them is to be surrounded by millions of ideological nutters intent on its annihilation. It serves them to be suspicious. What you mean by them acting "sensible" is confusing.

The people of Gaza are hardly an existential threat to Israel. And once again, why are some of them anti-Israel when the Muslims living in Israel are not? Having 3 generations of your family grow up in Gaza under the conditions there is only ever going to produce one result.

And in comparison, successive palestinian ruling-bodies have behaved appallingly, without concern for their 'people' by being disinterested in bringing peace to the area. The bastard Arafat has much to answer for in this respect.

I agree.

One question for you; why do you think Egypt and Jordan want nothing to do with the palestinian problem? Why did/do their borders remain closed to refugees? They have both stood-by whilst gaza burns, why is this, pray tell..? 

Because they believe that assisting the ethnic cleansing of Gaza reduces the rights of the Palestinians to live in their homeland.

You're quite deliberately misinterpreting to suit.

I've no more to say.

@P.K. At least get the date of that appalling and cowardly massacre right, it was the 7th of October, not the 9th. Ordinarily, it would be a moot point but not in this case. 

Every time you think the Met couldn’t possibly sink any lower, they go “Hold my beer and watch this”. What the absolute fuck. 

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

Every time you think the Met couldn’t possibly sink any lower, they go “Hold my beer and watch this”. What the absolute fuck. 

Wonder how the conversation started. There are, of course, contexts where a Swastika isn't anti-semitic. History classrooms for one. There's probably an argument to be made that it's anti a lot more than just semitism, too. Saw a post from the Met saying the person with it had already been arrested during this conversation so one wonders if it's deliberately framed in a way to make the police look bad...

On 3/26/2024 at 7:52 AM, Albert Tatlock said:

Just an observation. Phil Gawne was a political arsonist wasn't he? By definition, is that not a terrorist today?

Well, he is a ham-has-been.

He only drove the car , although I believe it was at the time one of the most notable cars on the Island which is why all 3 got caught. He was only young and doing what he thought was right. I knew him back then a little bit. He was ok just a bit misguided. Hated me mind you because I was not Manx. Little did he know , because I didn’t tell him , I was a fluent speaker of Scots Gaelic. So I understood some of his calls to his mates , it’s a bit different but I can get the gist ( same office we were in ). He was not very complimentary about us comeovers! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

Wonder how the conversation started. There are, of course, contexts where a Swastika isn't anti-semitic. History classrooms for one. There's probably an argument to be made that it's anti a lot more than just semitism, too. Saw a post from the Met saying the person with it had already been arrested during this conversation so one wonders if it's deliberately framed in a way to make the police look bad...

So let me get this right , there are contexts in which you think the Swastika is not anti-semetic. So by implication you imply that the Swastika is an ok symbol. The Swastika is and always will be associated with anti semitism ( not sure which classrooms you went to - presumably Hitler Youth ones ). Have you never seen the photographs in 30’s Germany with Swastikas painted on the windows of Jewish owned businesses? Or maybe you regard that as fake news. 

image.png.5b7b1ddb58cb3e60c7c8a243acf31239.png

Context matters. It is almost certain the young lady wasn't been confronted by a swastikas in this context. 

Is some thug able to openly display a swastika and pretend, while winking, it's a Buddhist symbol? Yeah, that's today's UK. 

5 hours ago, Anyone said:

So let me get this right , there are contexts in which you think the Swastika is not anti-semetic. So by implication you imply that the Swastika is an ok symbol. The Swastika is and always will be associated with anti semitism ( not sure which classrooms you went to - presumably Hitler Youth ones ). Have you never seen the photographs in 30’s Germany with Swastikas painted on the windows of Jewish owned businesses? Or maybe you regard that as fake news. 

Helix is right, it’s not automatically anti semitic but if it’s being waved in the face of Jews by a group of Hamas lovers during a Gaza protest march, then I think it’s safe to assume they’re not meaning the Hindu or Buddhist meaning. That cop is a disgrace. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, quilp said:

You're quite deliberately misinterpreting to suit.

I've no more to say.

@P.K. At least get the date of that appalling and cowardly massacre right, it was the 7th of October, not the 9th. Ordinarily, it would be a moot point but not in this case. 

I don't like getting up early!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, HeliX said:

So you're suggesting that to stop the violence there should be a 1 state solution with equal rights for all? I agree.

Never going to happen. Arabs outnumber Jews. So, for argument's sake assume the UN made a new state of Israel-Palestine, geographically incorporating Israel, Gaza, and the West Bank. At the first election there'd be an Arab leadership who would start doing to Jews what Jews have been doing to Arabs for the last 70 years. 

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

Helix is right, it’s not automatically anti semitic but if it’s being waved in the face of Jews by a group of Hamas lovers during a Gaza protest march, then I think it’s safe to assume they’re not meaning the Hindu or Buddhist meaning. That cop is a disgrace. 

Gigantic if, and even worse - the cop didn't see it. The shouty yank wants him to assert that something he didn't see was definitely a crime. It's unreasonable and stupid - and likely a set up to generate outrage. It's got the hallmark "ask a question with a nuanced answer and then keep asking it louder and more derangedly every time the responder gets 4 words into their answer".

6 hours ago, Anyone said:

Rather large leap. Also amusing to suggest that only Hitler youth classrooms should show the swastika in a historical context and then in the next breath ask if I'd seen the swastika in a historical context! Is there a chance you're being a bit goofy?

11 hours ago, HeliX said:

So you're suggesting that to stop the violence there should be a 1 state solution with equal rights for all? I agree.

How dreadfully naive...

37 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Gigantic if, and even worse - the cop didn't see it. The shouty yank wants him to assert that something he didn't see was definitely a crime. It's unreasonable and stupid - and likely a set up to generate outrage. It's got the hallmark "ask a question with a nuanced answer and then keep asking it louder and more derangedly every time the responder gets 4 words into their answer".

Problem is that the Met has a pretty shitty track record when it comes to policing these terror supporters. Going as far as arresting the one guy who held a Hamas are Terrorists poster (and then later pretty much admitting they fucked up). The level of antisemitism allowed to be on display in London is shocking and the police has long lost control. 

• Like 2