Who is being a right kinky Charlie IOM

passthemike

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John, wouldn't it afford posters and potentially the forum greater protection if the people involved were named, as it is not defamatory to state something which is true, even if it is pointless, intrusive and perhaps embarrassing for those involved, than letting people guess and potentially defame people who are not involved?

I've no idea who is alleged to be involved, what it is about or what site is being, obliquely referred to. Its up to the OP. If someone was named and they complained then the mods would have to take a view at that time.

We don't normally respond to general complaints about taste, and despite what some think, I don't think its hypocritical, or contradictory, for the Forums to have a policy about empty topic starts

I've no idea who is alleged to be involved, what it is about or what site is being, obliquely referred to. Its up to the OP. If someone was named and they complained then the mods would have to take a view at that time.

We don't normally respond to general complaints about taste, and despite what some think, I don't think its hypocritical, or contradictory, for the Forums to have a policy about empty topic starts

Surely the risk here is that some posters will make assumptions about who it is, then refer to them in terms sufficient to identify them, obliquely or otherwise, be wrong about who it is and end up defaming an 'innocent' party.

You're getting into strange territory here Censorship when you suggest this thread should be moderated, when we don't even have a name. It would set a potentially very worrying precedent.

I'm not suggesting any moderation whatsoever. I am merely suggesting it would be safer to have the person involved named, rather than people insinuating who it is. It's pretty obvious who is being referred to in some of the subsequent posts and if they are not the people involved we are, potentially, creating legal problems for ourselves by linking them to the original post and, at the very least, potentially unfairly linking them to something a bit seedy which they have nothing to do with.

This is one of those occasions where, I think, it is safest to just use the actual name, as long as the OP is telling the truth. It avoids any potentially damaging or upsetting inaccurate identification happening.

Surely the risk here is that some posters will make assumptions about who it is, then refer to them in terms sufficient to identify them, obliquely or otherwise, be wrong about who it is and end up defaming an 'innocent' party.
I thought it was you.

I haven't a clue who it is but it's a strange type of censorship (no pun intended) that names a person to protect their reputation. Nothing about that works for me. I think I see where you're coming from but it's just illogical.

Naming the person doesn't protect their reputation, it just ensures no one else's reputation is damaged by mistaken connection.

I have not suggested anyone should be named. I've said what would happen if someone was named .

At the moment no one has reported the thread alleging that they are defamed. The mods do not act as common law editors for very good legal reasons.

Yes there is the risk identified by censorship, again, if that happened we would respond appropriately.

Its a no brainer. BUT we are dammed if we do, imagine the cries of interference with free speech if we closed the thread and the fact that we would be acting as common law editors and thus lose the statutory protection we have if we are reactive/responsive only AND dammed if we don't as in Boredoms post.

Even for me the legal position I've set out is spot on and 100% accurate, Toytown law school or not.

my apologies Boredom. But you see I thought you were referring to me and my legal skills because I actually did go to Toytown Law school. See how easy it is, I've had friends call me concerned because they identified your post as referring to me and implying I'm incompetent in my profession, now that is defamatory.

There is no danger to MF or its owners or moderating team as long as we follow and keep the protection of the Electronic Transactions legislation. ie only act, and act swiftly, when something is reported.

Of course that protection does not apply to posters. You post salacious stuff AYOR

Archived