Ronaldsway Airport Beirut.

Max Power

Why didn't they just put the pay barrier at the exit from the roundabout off the A5 at the Ballasalla end and the exit barrier at the entrance to the roundabout at the Castletown end and have done with it? Everyone pays. If it doesn't bring in the desired moolah they could always move them to the railway level crossing and the entrance to King Bills respectively. I'm sure we're already to cough up in a good cause. Someone above had it right. Embarrassing.

That would then mean that those of us with the free pass for the staff car park would have to pay. Come on. Play fair.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The guy said to me you are only allowed to stop if your passengers are at the kerbside waiting to get in, going to be great when its pissing down and people have to stand at the kerb. For goodness sake the place is on its arse as it is why make it any more inconvenient for everyone to use, how much do we pay these clowns to manage this failing public transport facility !

I was told that I was lucky to avoid an instant £60 ticket when I stopped outside and poked my head in the door to see if the plane had landed that I was picking up for. I must have been away from my car for 30 seconds and the strip was empty bar one other car. Bearing in mind it was blowing a hoolie and was raining, I wasn't expecting my passenger to be stood outside waiting. I did a couple of laps in and out of the airport while I waited for them to emerge, although when I told the guy I was just going to do that because I had no change for the car park he told me he'd issue me a ticket for "obstruction" if I did. I made sure I gave him a thumbs up each time I passed him.

Are there any signs about the ticket? I didn't check, I couldn't see for the red mist.

The guy said to me you are only allowed to stop if your passengers are at the kerbside waiting to get in, going to be great when its pissing down and people have to stand at the kerb. For goodness sake the place is on its arse as it is why make it any more inconvenient for everyone to use, how much do we pay these clowns to manage this failing public transport facility !

I was told that I was lucky to avoid an instant £60 ticket when I stopped outside and poked my head in the door to see if the plane had landed that I was picking up for. I must have been away from my car for 30 seconds and the strip was empty bar one other car. Bearing in mind it was blowing a hoolie and was raining, I wasn't expecting my passenger to be stood outside waiting. I did a couple of laps in and out of the airport while I waited for them to emerge, although when I told the guy I was just going to do that because I had no change for the car park he told me he'd issue me a ticket for "obstruction" if I did. I made sure I gave him a thumbs up each time I passed him.Are there any signs about the ticket? I didn't check, I couldn't see for the red mist.

There have been signs up about not leaving the car and the £60 fixed penalty for many years. You can check arrivals with an app, rather than exiting your car and going into the terminal. I don't object to paying £1.00 to wait. You get them to ring as they exit the baggage hall and they step forward to the central reservation as they see your car approach, having been under cover until then.

I was told that I was lucky to avoid an instant £60 ticket when I stopped outside and poked my head in the door to see if the plane had landed that I was picking up for. I must have been away from my car for 30 seconds and the strip was empty bar one other car. Bearing in mind it was blowing a hoolie and was raining, I wasn't expecting my passenger to be stood outside waiting. I did a couple of laps in and out of the airport while I waited for them to emerge, although when I told the guy I was just going to do that because I had no change for the car park he told me he'd issue me a ticket for "obstruction" if I did. I made sure I gave him a thumbs up each time I passed him.

Are there any signs about the ticket? I didn't check, I couldn't see for the red mist.

An instant ticket .... ? How far have we sunk into the cesspool of authoritarianism ? Still, lucky you , you were allowed to get away with it - this time ! I can understand the red mist , I think I would have felt the same. I don't know what others feel, but the difference in living here on the Island is that we didn't do 'that sort of thing'. It seems that now we do - an we're much the poorer for it. This disappoints and infuriates me. I am becoming heartily sick of Government and the direction they seem to be heading.

One definition of Fascism is :

'a way of organizing a society in which a government ruled by a dictator controls the lives of the people and in which people are not allowed to disagree with the government' or 'very harsh control or authority' ( The Merriam Webster Dictionary )

Too strong ? maybe now - but see what the future brings - and I for one am appalled.

I wonder if these 'fines' have any legal grounding. Do the Airport 'Authorities' have any authority to issue them ?

All is well the great leader has spoken ...........

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/no-hitches-over-new-airport-parking-rules-says-director-1-7048104

I wonder if she would like to comment about the lack of services, the lack of passengers and spanish practices costing the already shafted public millions of pounds ... no .... thought not !

I was told that I was lucky to avoid an instant £60 ticket when I stopped outside and poked my head in the door to see if the plane had landed that I was picking up for. I must have been away from my car for 30 seconds and the strip was empty bar one other car. Bearing in mind it was blowing a hoolie and was raining, I wasn't expecting my passenger to be stood outside waiting. I did a couple of laps in and out of the airport while I waited for them to emerge, although when I told the guy I was just going to do that because I had no change for the car park he told me he'd issue me a ticket for "obstruction" if I did. I made sure I gave him a thumbs up each time I passed him.Are there any signs about the ticket? I didn't check, I couldn't see for the red mist.

There have been signs up about not leaving the car and the £60 fixed penalty for many years. You can check arrivals with an app, rather than exiting your car and going into the terminal. I don't object to paying £1.00 to wait. You get them to ring as they exit the baggage hall and they step forward to the central reservation as they see your car approach, having been under cover until then.

The signs have now gone presumably for some stiffer ones to be issued by the controlling party ! I have to say John you have no idea of what goes on at the airport or the reasons why the travelling public have to be treated with disdain as a highly educated man you would be horrified !!

There is nothing to stop circling. I'd love to defend anyone charged with obstruction for just going round, and round.

The notices about the fixed penalties for stopping other than drop off or pick up are no different to the ones on the prom in Douglas in effect.

I probably use the airport more than most, so I'm well aware of the issues, some of which are caused by managerial incompetence and some by bloody minded or thoughtless service users.

Er, doesn't every airport do this? I have definitely seen someone enforcing 'no waiting' at the pickup point outside Gatwick North and LCY I guess the moan is that there's now nowhere to park for free very close to the airport. Can't really get very excited about this, personally.

I fly to Gloucester regularly and they don't do this, so no.

There's something of a difference between an international airport servicing many thousands of people a day, and a rural airport on an Island servicing several hundred.

In the thread we must not lose sight of why this is happening, it is not to do with security, nor convenience, nor too many passengers, it is purely to do with looking for a few bob down the back of the sofa which is easier than tackling the huge waste which still goes on at the airport daily. The bottom line is airport strategy has been to gear up for this vaunted 1.75 million souls by 2015 at huge cost, and then have absolutely no idea what to do now things have gone pear shaped. In private business the hierarchy would have been out on their ear by now, they have proved time and time again they are unfit for purpose, but far easier is to subvent the operation and not deal with the root causes of the issue. In what other industry would a business plan which was nonsense and wasted huge millions, and then a falling customer base and falling services, without any strategic view as to how to control costs or improve the business outlook be tolerated ?

The isle of man which used to boast proudly of "dealing with the problems of success" is now expert in tolerating the impacts of failure !

"when you are up to your neck in the mire with the crocodiles snapping around your bits it is sometimes difficult to remember that the original object of the exercise was to drain the swamp".

I had a few words way back with a security chap who advised me if I didn't do as I was told he would have me "banned" from the airport ( I parked outside while my wife popped in just to see if the plane was delayed/had landed ).

"when you are up to your neck in the mire with the crocodiles snapping around your bits it is sometimes difficult to remember that the original object of the exercise was to drain the swamp".

I had a few words way back with a security chap who advised me if I didn't do as I was told he would have me "banned" from the airport ( I parked outside while my wife popped in just to see if the plane was delayed/had landed ).

On whose authority? - on what legal grounds? Put a uniform on some people and they think they make the rules.

Archived