Ronaldsway Airport Beirut.

Max Power

Nobody cares. They just want your money.

I know but the incompetence is just being underwritten by the public through service charges. They should be focussing on managing costs first. Mark my words the next 'savings' will be another £1m being spent to make the carpark bigger because it now can't accommodate peak time parking, and they will justify this expenditure because it can 'make' more money from the bigger number of slots. Another loss dressed up as a brilliant business idea because we have to be 'commercial'.

The next commercial decision airport management make will be the first ! Commercially the place is a disaster zone and commercially they couldn't collectively run a bath. They are very good at spending money and creating development and new posts but running a travel facility for the customer an absolute joke !!!!!!

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have made the car park bigger. There is a 2nd car park. Turn left at the inner roundabout towards the industrial estate, not right towards the terminal building.Its then just on the airport side. Same charges and always plenty of space. You may have to walk an extra 50 yards to tge terminal.

Airports get a bad rep but I have never had any problems the hold ups are usually because of idiots who don't take their things out their bags and have to go through it all despite knowing you can't take certain things.

As for the payment issues its one quid for an hour cheaper than car parks in douglas

Wait in the industrial estate, get an airline arrivals app, get your passenger to call you when they get into arrivals. It's a pick up and drop off zone, not a wait for persons coming off plane zone.. Clearly there will be enforcement as the new regime is adopted. What makes you think airport parking, or any parking, is included in taxes. User should pay, except for education and health and some social care. Bees, really, why pack a liquid more than 100ml in hand baggage? The rules have been there for a decade. What did you expect.

I'm already paying for the airport through taxes which I am forced to contribute. On the principle of "users should pay" let the whole operation be privatised and only those who use the service pay for it.

We have made the car park bigger. There is a 2nd car park. Turn left at the inner roundabout towards the industrial estate, not right towards the terminal building.Its then just on the airport side. Same charges and always plenty of space. You may have to walk an extra 50 yards to tge terminal.

That's all very well and good, but how are you supposed to know the short stay car park is full until you go in it and drive around looking for a space?

ETA The long stay car park was always cheaper - has this now changed and both car parks levy the same charges?

Go and park down where the Ferrari's and Range Rovers park, that subsidised snobs part of the airport.

I bet they park for nowt there.stuart.gif

Wait in the industrial estate, get an airline arrivals app, get your passenger to call you when they get into arrivals. It's a pick up and drop off zone, not a wait for persons coming off plane zone.. Clearly there will be enforcement as the new regime is adopted. What makes you think airport parking, or any parking, is included in taxes. User should pay, except for education and health and some social care. Bees, really, why pack a liquid more than 100ml in hand baggage? The rules have been there for a decade. What did you expect.

I'm already paying for the airport through taxes which I am forced to contribute. On the principle of "users should pay" let the whole operation be privatised and only those who use the service pay for it.

Correct. Government is in the business of providing services and managing costs. If the airport was owned by Peel Holdings like Liverpool then it's a commercial enterprise and you expect to get ripped off. But one of the nice things about IOM Airport should be that it is government run for the basic benefit of the people of the Isle of Man and therefore it should not be lowering itself to the same standards that apply elsewhere. They seem to have forgotten this in the quest to keep their own inflated salaries and pensions paid. We already pay 100% for this facility so it should be delivering services in the format that we want them in, and which are in the best strategic interests of the Isle of Man. We should not be asked to pay more to experience a worse environment than we previously had which is still costing us as taxpayers exactly the same.

Unfortunately no different to a lot of UK airports. Leeds Bradford and M'cr both recently charged me £2.50 for the privelege of driving in and out of a full short stay car park.

They are privately owned. You are already paying through your taxes for our airport.

Unfortunately no different to a lot of UK airports. Leeds Bradford and M'cr both recently charged me £2.50 for the privelege of driving in and out of a full short stay car park.

They are privately owned. You are already paying through your taxes for our airport.
True, but only for the upkeep, staff etc etc. I don't begrudge paying to park if I am there for a long period. Although I have got a nice friend out on the road towards Derbyhaven who lets me park there which is handy if I only have hand baggage, only a ten minute walk :)

True, but only for the upkeep, staff etc etc. I don't begrudge paying to park if I am there for a long period. Although I have got a nice friend out on the road towards Derbyhaven who lets me park there which is handy if I only have hand baggage, only a ten minute walk :)

We are only talking about the new charges and the removal of the half an hour free parking: not the principle of paying for longer term parking like any other airport. Don't forget that as taxpayers we already pay 100% of the airports operating costs. It does not need to "make" anymore money from the taxpayers because it's losses are already being covered by us in full. It actually needs to start providing value to the taxpayer by managing it's operations effectively so that we might ultimately be subsidising it less: not us paying more on top by way of pay to use charges to use state assets we have already paid for in full by way of taxes. This is not a commercial operation unlike most other regional airports. It should be focussing on providing value and creating the right environment to enable the Isle of Man to grow its economy.

The increase in car park charges at the airport, although I note they have not increased the maximum charge, is possibly an increase that leads to a decrease in income. I appreciate that less people are travelling but the several years ago the "short stay" car park was frequently full exccept for the drop off and pick points. Everytime I have flown recently that has not been the case, although I appreciate it may very briefly be full when several planes are due to arrive or depart.

Some of this is down to less passengers, but now more seem to park in the slightly cheaper long stay and many seem to use the adjacent secure parking which I think is possibly cheaper and they will valet your car as well for a fee. If I or my family are away for any period we tend to get a taxi as apart from being convenient it is cheaper than parking.

Liverpool airport still have a free drop off zone/pick up zone although it is now slightly further away. I am nor sure how long it is 10 or 20 minutes. Manchester airport you can still drop off for free.. In the IoM with mobile phones nobody really needs to use the car park to pick up because as as various posters have stated you can just park a minute or so away and then nip over when you get the call. Having said that if they are charging when there are no spaces it is disgraceand surely they are in breach of contract if they have charged you for something that they then do not provide.

John, it was an accident, it was supposed to be in my other bag. The whole situation was ridiculous, it was an obvious mistake, absolutely no need for the attitude, I hadn't hidden it, nor did I moan to her face when she started going on.

Archived