Ronaldsway Airport Beirut.

Max Power

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have made the car park bigger. There is a 2nd car park. Turn left at the inner roundabout towards the industrial estate, not right towards the terminal building.Its then just on the airport side. Same charges and always plenty of space. You may have to walk an extra 50 yards to tge terminal.

I always turn left at the inner r/about, and there is always plenty of space, early or late.

But as soon as you mention "you may have to walk an extra..." most able bodied customers switch off.

Why do you think Maccy D's has a drive in? Credit to their marketing, they really know their customers. ermm.gif

Good point from JW regarding waiting outside the Zone and asking your passenger to ring when they're outside the terminal; even a 120 second wait won't harm them. It's no surprise most haven't twigged this yet. I usually take the Terriers down to Fort Island for an amble and watch the plane arriving, then drive round to pick-up...timing is just about spot-on.

A £1 for an hours parking isn't then end of the world. With the airport losing money hand over fist; if those using the facilities don't think they should pay, who do they think should?

TBT.

We have made the car park bigger. There is a 2nd car park. Turn left at the inner roundabout towards the industrial estate, not right towards the terminal building.Its then just on the airport side. Same charges and always plenty of space. You may have to walk an extra 50 yards to tge terminal.

I always turn left at the inner r/about, and there is always plenty of space, early or late.

But as soon as you mention "you may have to walk an extra..." most able bodied customers switch off.

Why do you think Maccy D's has a drive in? Credit to their marketing, they really know their customers. ermm.gif

Good point from JW regarding waiting outside the Zone and asking your passenger to ring when they're outside the terminal; even a 120 second wait won't harm them. It's no surprise most haven't twigged this yet. I usually take the Terriers down to Fort Island for an amble and watch the plane arriving, then drive round to pick-up...timing is just about spot-on.

A £1 for an hours parking isn't then end of the world. With the airport losing money hand over fist; if those using the facilities don't think they should pay, who do they think should?

TBT.

doesn't help if people need help to carry baggage, if they are fit and well they don't need picking up at all, let them get the bus :lol:

Good job we don't have the 1.75 million passengers we have geared up for, the queues to drive around the car park would be huge !!!!

very few passengers ..... fewer flights ........ new radar don't work .......... worse weather minima for approach to 26 than before we started.... airlines very unhappy ..... massive subsidies just to keep going ... spanish practices rife ...

and we pay huge wages to the hierarchy for this ? I certainly am not going to be happy when we all have to pay more to take a dump whilst this carries on largely unabated !

The things that used to make the island special, different, and mostly better than the UK, have largely disappeared. This change for the worse has accelerated in recent years and has been encouraged by our wonderful government. We have seen a steady erosion of our advantages in income tax, car tax, petrol prices, and many other things that went a long way to make up for the higher cost of living here (rates will be next). At the same time the convenience of our simpler way of life has also virtually gone so we are almost indistinguishable from many places in the UK - take our airport for one example. If anyone still thinks the Isle of Man Government is working for the benefit of the public (rather than a very small percentage of it) then they need to take a good look at what is going on all around them. I for one will remember who is responsible come the next election!!

if there's nowhere to park when just picking up people, what on earth do you do if you want to park to go catch a flight ?, do you just have to abandon your car on the highway or miss your flight ?

Valet parking for those that can't walk a few hundred yards or have more than hand luggage. The other 95+% can use the vacant spaces in the car parks situated on the left of the inner r/about and add an extra 60 seconds to the hour long check-in time.

There's car parking, free car wash and free terminal transfer from behind the petrol station just north of the airport.

Some passengers can't make it to the gate in good time once they're inside the terminal post security.

Abandoning cars to avoid missing a flight...in the IoM, I suppose it could occur. Manx Metals are ideally placed to deal with such an eventuality.

TBT.

I set of to pick up at the arrival time gives ample time for the traveler to disembark collect bags and walk to the front door.

If there not outside waiting I drive past park up on the lay by at the roundabout for a few mins and do another lap.

As for people who still insist on taking all manner of liquids through security then moan about it, really? Where have you been? Get the boat or stay at home.

I think there's no doubt that the airport is grossly mismanaged, and has been for a long time, but the one quid itself isn't the issue. It's a quid. No big deal.

The real issues are a: some dimwit came up with this but didn't realise it would actually cost more to bring in and enforce than it will earn (as others pointed out, the people who previously parked there for free for the first hour might not do that anymore, and that's just one of the issues with this. It smacks of a desperate attempt to be seen to be be doing something, but not really doing anything) and b: a bad layout for traffic, unsuitable for the type of small airfield it really is. Good management would have gotten the place efficient and ship shaped by now. You just don't have good management.

I set of to pick up at the arrival time gives ample time for the traveler to disembark collect bags and walk to the front door.

If there not outside waiting I drive past park up on the lay by at the roundabout for a few mins and do another lap.

As for people who still insist on taking all manner of liquids through security then moan about it, really? Where have you been? Get the boat or stay at home.

Yes, but when that layby is full, as it will be from now on probably, what do you do then? Probably sit in Balthane or Rushen Abbey where you have no idea where your passengers are.

This only came in on Thursday 8th January, so I guess we will be able to monitor things very soon!

What's Beirut got to do with anything? Is the airport there notorious for car park charging? I don't get it.

I've been to Beirut airport a few times, and the parking charges are nothing out of the ordinary. Quite a good terminal in fact. Decent duty free & very generous measures in the lounge.

Archived