Manx Gas

Max Power

DD Guarantee:

• If there are any changes to the amount, date or frequency of your Direct Debit the organisation will notify you (normally 10 working days) in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed. If you request the organisation to collect a payment, confirmation of the amount and date will be given to you at the time of the request
  • If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit, by the organisation or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DD Guarantee:

• If there are any changes to the amount, date or frequency of your Direct Debit the organisation will notify you (normally 10 working days) in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed. If you request the organisation to collect a payment, confirmation of the amount and date will be given to you at the time of the request
  • If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit, by the organisation or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society

Did anybody tell the MEA? I'll upload a shot of the offending first invoice if anybody wants to see it......

These "savings" (God, I'm starting to hate that word in an IoM context)........Do you think for one minute that any of them will be passed on to the customer....?

I think you select if you want to pay the bill in full each time it is issued, or make equal parents through the year to cover your estimated usage.

I may be wrong, but I guess you selected the second option.

'

I am referring to 2003 re this incident, I don't doubt that arrangements and communications between payee and payer have been refined since then.

The fact is, that the MEA's first move on receiving the DD instruction was to help themselves to at least three times my average bill from my bank account. I can't recall any payment "options" being offered at the time.

I duly cancelled the DD in time and now pay by cheque, return on receipt of invoice.

Oooh, how exciting, hospitality tent going up at the grandstand! Well, I say tent, only it's more like a mobile Crystal Palace really, it's just rolled up on a load of articulated trailers! Loads of blokes working on it! Must cost a bloody fortune! Mind you, there are even more blokes working on the scoreboard area. Doesn't look cheap either! Hope those little scouts are worth it! Be good when the government sub all this out next year, get some other mug to pay for it all.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it might be dawning on Mr Quirk that there's an election coming up!

OFT Chair admits he could have shown more sympathy about gas changes

Manx gas can't be forced into changes by Office of Fair Trading

The Chairman of the Office of Fair Trading has admitted he could have been a little more sympathetic when fielding questions about gas changes.

David Quirk was quizzed in the House of Keys about the removal of a discount for consumers who do not pay by direct debit.

He told the Keys that Manx Gas was a private company and could not be forced into change by his Office.

And he says politicians can do more for themselves.

I'd object if they engage in the same practice as MEA did a few years ago when I fell for the, "DD for peace of mind etc etc" blurb.

They promptly removed at least three invoices' worth of money from my bank account (without previously advising) and then proudly announced that, "I was in credit with them". Admittedly, it took about 6-8 months before I actually had to pay again.

Essentially, the money was in their accounts earning interest rather than mine. It's nothing more than a, "Wring the last drops from the customer" scam as far as I'm concerned. Bollocks to them, keep paying by cheque and make sure you staple the cheque to the counterfoil..... whatever.gif

My sentiments entirely, experience has taught me not to trust the DD system.

I am referring to 2003 re this incident, I don't doubt that arrangements and communications between payee and payer have been refined since then.

The fact is, that the MEA's first move on receiving the DD instruction was to help themselves to at least three times my average bill from my bank account. I can't recall any payment "options" being offered at the time.

I duly cancelled the DD in time and now pay by cheque, return on receipt of invoice.

I've never had an issue with the DD system with Manx Gas and I can understand commercially why they want people signed up to it.

The fact they are ripping me of dreadfully for Gas is a different debate.

Sounds to me that the OFT should be scrapped immediately. All staff made redundant. If it has no powers then it is a waste of time.

Actually, they're all very busy trying to ban the sale of Chinese lanterns.

An easy target for them, kind of epitomises their reach and power.

A complete waste of time and money, I'd agree....

I've never had an issue with the DD system with Manx Gas and I can understand commercially why they want people signed up to it.

I haven't had an issue either but more people put their heads into their ovens and gas themselves when they have been forced into signing up to a direct debit.

Manx Gas offer lifeline for vulnerable

Statement says people may still get discount after Keys row

Manx Gas has thrown a potential lifeline to its most vulnerable customers.

It's issued a statement after a row in the House of Keys this week, over the company scrapping its early payment discount, for those who don't use direct debit.

Thye company says those without bank accounts might still get the discount by contacting its staff.

But it says those who don't pay by direct debit are being subsidised by those who do, and it needs to cut administration costs.

Archived