Manx Gas

Max Power

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My last bill was enormous and when I spoke to them about their prices being nearly double those of the UK they said we buy our gas from uk suppliers and our prices are fixed for the year.

Does this mean IOM prices next year will be based on this year's lower UK prices? lol, doubt it.

Thinking it through, allowing them to base their pricing structure on ROCE, guaranteeing their return, the less gas they sell the more they can and will charge - to maintain profits within this new "regulation ". So if people switch to oil, that increases the price of gas for those who don't. Unless MG's costs reduce, eg wholesale gas prices.....but of course that doesn't happen.

This is the same mess a car tax

They wanted everyone to go green, so made car tax dead low for green cars. Now many have done that the revenue has dropped, so, car tax is going up considerably on green cars. The population is being punished for doing the right thing.

They wanted everyone to go green, so made car tax dead low for green cars. Now many have done that the revenue has dropped, so, car tax is going up considerably on green cars. The population is being punished for doing the right thing.

The population is being punished for political error, misjudgement and incompetence. It should be in the past but unfortunately it's ongoing...

Have a look at this to see rates here

http://www.britishgas.co.uk/products-and-services/gas-and-electricity/our-energy-tariffs/standard.html

Use NR25 5AA as a postcode. It's near where we are. We have signed up to a British gas deal that fixes the maximum we will pay and in addition we have a dual fuel deal to further bring the costs down.

This might form the basis for some serious questioning of the way that gas is being charged for on the Island.

Same happened when people were moving to diesel.

I just played this to someone who, along with their husband, voted for David Quirk in the last general election. They just got a massive gas bill too. They won't be voting for this Manx Gas apologist again. But hey, the tent will be going up soon! That's where your money's going! Watch and weep!

Have a look at this to see rates here

http://www.britishgas.co.uk/products-and-services/gas-and-electricity/our-energy-tariffs/standard.html

Use NR25 5AA as a postcode. It's near where we are. We have signed up to a British gas deal that fixes the maximum we will pay and in addition we have a dual fuel deal to further bring the costs down.

This might form the basis for some serious questioning of the way that gas is being charged for on the Island.

If I understand this correctly does that make the price 4.99 per unit against a Manx Gas price of 8.019 per unit? i.e 60% more expensive?

I also was borderline in shock at my las bill from Manx Gas.

I'm generally in favour of controlled monopolies on small island economies like ours (e.g I'm not a fan of the open skies policy) BUT Manx Gas are out of control on their pricing. And until I see what profit they are actutally making i cannot accept their public comments as it stands.

I'm not against them making a profit. Far from it.

"Capital employed" is not a valid measure to base profits on. You can make it say pretty much anything you like. Keep some old plant on the balance sheet that you would otherwise have fully depreciated and bingo, more capital employed. Meaningless.

"Capital employed" is not a valid measure to base profits on. You can make it say pretty much anything you like. Keep some old plant on the balance sheet that you would otherwise have fully depreciated and bingo, more capital employed. Meaningless.

Correct. And large cash balances sitting in the balance sheet should not be factored in the ROCE calculation either.

It's utter bollox.

No wonder MG MD is "pleased" with the voluntary arrangement!

Just got a missive from MG stating that early payment discount will now only be applied to Direct Debit accounts. That should make them a few more quid. I'm not even going to pretend to be shocked or surprised.

Archived