Manx Gas

Max Power

I think its about time our leaders grew some of those round things (not you Kate, I like Kate), and opened up our system to competition from the UK. I would love to compare the meercat for my fuel, chose my provider, based on price and service. That goes for power too, sell off the MEA for a £1, its too costly for us. UK customers moan about their lot but cringe when they find out what we have to put up with.

Also as a side issue has any of our MHKs ever considered fuel security? by that I mean what if say Putin turns of the gas tap? Europe turns theirs off, UK etc.. we are stuck on the end with a gas fired power station. ERR what happens then? We have no nuke to fall back on.

Anyone know?

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It did occur to me, that it is very much in the IOMGs interests to keep Gas bills as high as possible as they're reliant on the VAT element to help pay for their Pensions.

So, as a serious proposal, why not inflate ALL the prices locally and then give back to the residents through tax credits?

It did occur to me, that it is very much in the IOMGs interests to keep Gas bills as high as possible as they're reliant on the VAT element to help pay for their Pensions.

So, as a serious proposal, why not inflate ALL the prices locally and then give back to the residents through tax credits?

Now you're thinking like Allan Bell (or Crouch)

Rape the VAT with totally transparent schemes until the UK get annoyed with us.

• 2 months later...

As a Manx Gas thread has been resurrected, I thought I'd just share this. I was having a bit of a clear out in the pile last weekend and came across a cutting from a local newspaper, probably the Indy.

On the flip side of the cutting there's part of an article that was dealing with the project to extend the natural gas supply on the Island. There's a photo of Quintin Gill (wasn't he MEA chairman at one stage?) and a couple of guys involved in the project, all stood in front of a big pile of the yellow gas mains piping.

However, the text (not quite complete) that accompanies the photo makes great reading. I quote:-

"Gas will be supplied to 6,500 homes and businesses in the north, west and south of the Island. The move will lead to a 30% reduction in gas bills for customers in Ramsey, Peel, Port St. Mary, Port Erin, Castletown, Ballasalla, Colby and Ballakillowey. Customers in Kirk Michael, the largest network of Liquid Petroleum Gas, will also be hooked up to natural gas and can expect to save 15% on their bills.

Residents in Douglas, Onchan and Braddan however, will see charges rise by 3% with the creation of a single all-island tariff for natural gas.

The Government will own and therefore keep control of the main pipeline infrastructure with the cost of the conversion work repaid by Manx Gas over the next 60 years.

Chief Minister Tony Brown MHK told Tynwald that LPG customers faced losing their supply in the next five years because aging gas-processing plant faced closure...."

30% REDUCTION EH? Wonder what happened to that then.....?

My last bill was enormous and when I spoke to them about their prices being nearly double those of the UK they said we buy our gas from uk suppliers and our prices are fixed for the year. Their advice was to use less gas. Fine for me as a fit healthy 30 something but not possible for an OAP. I'd sooner spend the money on a pipeline from the UK and have the supply from EDF or British Gas.

Voluntary regulation lol. ROCE is now "capped" at 9.9%, down from the previous arrangement with the OFT of 10.61%.....woohoo.. This isn't regulation at all, all it does is guarantee a very nice return for MG's shareholders. Their shares will surge lol. Anyone outside of the OFT can see that this announcement is good news for MG, not consumers, but as usual it's dressed up with a bit of spin.

Or maybe it's a reflection of the negotiating skills and intellect of OFT / Govt? Maybe they genuinely don't see it?

Am I the only one who is still confused after reading this story today?

So Manx Gas will reduce its overall profit margin by 0.7% - ok, nice gesture.

However, it does not explain why the Isle of Man Gas tariffs continue to rise despite the wholesale price falling by around 29%.

If this is a real gesture then publish a structure chart and the financial statements for any associated Companies, in order to ensure there isn't any mark up between the Companies and the end user - the Manx Public.

If anyone actually notices any difference can they let me know - thank you.

Archived