Manx Gas

Max Power

I guess manx gas will now spend money for the sake of it and employ a few more people in non jobs as helpers helpers ( keeps DED happy ) this will keep the 'profit' to not a lot on paper??

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's way past time we worked out just how many households on the island are in 'fuel poverty'...following the UK Govt definition.

I bet the figures would be quite shocking here.

It,s 10% of your income, so the vast majority are.

I think it's way past time we worked out just how many households on the island are in 'fuel poverty'...following the UK Govt definition.

I bet the figures would be quite shocking here.

It,s 10% of your income, so the vast majority are.

The definition was changed following the 'Hill' report.

They NEED to charge exorbitant tarrifs, remember they have to pay for all that smoked salmon and champers in the paddock during tt, after all, there's a never ending list of disadvantaged rich cronies and chinless wonders depending on your contribution for their June jolly. Not to mention the healthy backhanders to the oft. Screwing the manx consumer doesn't come cheap you know! I for one am proud to nearly freeze to death every fucking winter when it's in aid of such a worthy and noble cause. Shame on you heathens for having the audacity to begrudge this minor inconvenience.

The lastest is either go on direct debit or lose the 2.5% discount, so another price rise on the way, and wholesale gas prices have been dropping since a year last April, the UK energy providers have been dropping their prices, but here our Government is allowing these gang of Dick Turpins to raise theirs, and without a mask.

They NEED to charge exorbitant tarrifs, remember they have to pay for all that smoked salmon and champers in the paddock during tt, after all, there's a never ending list of disadvantaged rich cronies and chinless wonders depending on your contribution for their June jolly.

It isn't just the tent they help finance. They support racing teams as well. It amounts to a stealth subsidy by consumers for road racing on and off the island, Of course, it's a subsidy that doesn't show up on any government balance sheets when they trumpet how profitable the TT is for the island. Has anyone ever spotted Mr Quirk in the tent? thumbsup.gif

Just got a missive from MG stating that early payment discount will now only be applied to Direct Debit accounts. That should make them a few more quid. I'm not even going to pretend to be shocked or surprised.

Received the same.

We use so little gas (hob only) that we prepay about £30 when the account is about to go into the red (as it were). I called MG accounts department and asked if we would still receive the discount even if we paid in advance. "No", came he defiant response, "it only applies to direct debits"... "But we pay in advance, surely that qualifies?"... It doesn't need me to tell you the answer.

They've lost the plot completely. But of course they can get away with with it because we have no choice. Perhaps MUA should start to sell gas direct to the consumer? On second thoughts....

We use so little gas (hob only) that we prepay about £30 when the account is about to go into the red (as it were). I called MG accounts department and asked if we would still receive the discount even if we paid in advance. "No", came he defiant response, "it only applies to direct debits"... "But we pay in advance, surely that qualifies?"... It doesn't need me to tell you the answer.

Can't say I see the issue. They, like most other companies, want to encourage people to use DD as it is the least expensive and least labour intensive way of them collecting payment. Their chosen way of encouraging people to pay this way, like most others is to offer a discount.

If you pay by DD they only need involve any staff at the point you miss a payment and fail to make payment following the receipt of an automated letter.

If you pay up front, call them each time, that costs them staff time and the cost of processing the payment.

Hardly rocket science, and hardly unusual in modern business. Certainly not something to make a fuss about or to make out they are profiteering.

Can't say I see the issue. They, like most other companies, want to encourage people to use DD as it is the least expensive and least labour intensive way of them collecting payment. Their chosen way of encouraging people to pay this way, like most others is to offer a discount.

If you pay by DD they only need involve any staff at the point you miss a payment and fail to make payment following the receipt of an automated letter.

If you pay up front, call them each time, that costs them staff time and the cost of processing the payment.

Hardly rocket science, and hardly unusual in modern business. Certainly not something to make a fuss about or to make out they are profiteering.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear.

Up until now we automatically had the discount deducted (because we were in credit) when they raised their invoice. Now, it seems, they won't apply any discount under the same circumstances.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear.

Up until now we automatically had the discount deducted (because we were in credit) when they raised their invoice. Now, it seems, they won't apply any discount under the same circumstances.

Yes, that was clear but is irrelevant.

They have implemented a method to try and get customers to switch to direct debit because it is easier and cheaper for them to administer meaning they can reduce costs and increase profits.

That is what businesses do, and in this instance since it will also save you time and effort I don't see why anyone would have an objection.

I'd object if they engage in the same practice as MEA did a few years ago when I fell for the, "DD for peace of mind etc etc" blurb.

They promptly removed at least three invoices' worth of money from my bank account (without previously advising) and then proudly announced that, "I was in credit with them". Admittedly, it took about 6-8 months before I actually had to pay again.

Essentially, the money was in their accounts earning interest rather than mine. It's nothing more than a, "Wring the last drops from the customer" scam as far as I'm concerned. Bollocks to them, keep paying by cheque and make sure you staple the cheque to the counterfoil..... whatever.gif

Archived