Laxey Station

cheeky boy

I like the look to what I've seen so far, why are people so attached to grotty old chipping that were unpleasant to walk on never mind push a wheelchair or pram. I also like the look of Strand Street as it's about time an effort was made to make the Island look clean and smart instead of the tatty worn out pavements we have at present.

A Dandara house looks clean and smart & has all the light switches and sockets where they can be easily reached from a wheel chair.

They also have zero character and will look a hell of a lot more tatty & worn out in 50 years time than buildings that have stood for centuries.

Why? Because they are built with one objective in mind - to make Dandara the maximum amount of profit.

The same can be said for Laxey, Ramsey and other regeneration schemes around the island, except the profits being maximised are those of

Grandmaster Darylmple and other favoured contractors who are earning millions out of throwing a bit of patio stone with LED lights around our town

centres.

if it weren't for modern efficient new-build houses which you decry so much, where do you suggest all the present residents would have found enough tumble-down victorian un-insulated draughty des-res'es ?

- suggest the Onchan new-build bungalows of some years back, and all the reports were of windows made of softwood which had to be replaced in one handful of years, I have a new-build as you decry and has hardwood windows as good as new 24 years later, but that's another story and I have no granite paving either :lol:

however, back at the station, I'm glad I gave it a miss when wondering where to go for a walk a few weeks ago, maybe start a thread about all the places we don't bother going any more since they've been spoiled, start with Douglas Prom, add Laxey...........

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if it weren't for modern efficient new-build houses which you decry so much, where do you suggest all the present residents would have found enough tumble-down victorian un-insulated draughty des-res'es ?

- suggest the Onchan new-build bungalows of some years back, and all the reports were of windows made of softwood which had to be replaced in one handful of years, I have a new-build as you decry and has hardwood windows as good as new 24 years later, but that's another story and I have no granite paving either laugh.png

All I said was that Dandara houses are characterless & likely to look a lot more tatty in 50 years time than houses which have stood for centuries.

How you get from that to me decrying all modern efficient new builds is a mystery to me. Some new builds are full of character & built to a high standard with materials that will stand the test of time. Dandara's are not amongst them, you only need to look at how many of them have lost entire roofs in the wind to see that.

- suggest the Onchan new-build bungalows of some years back, and all the reports were of windows made of softwood which had to be replaced in one handful of years, I have a new-build as you decry and has hardwood windows as good as new 24 years later, but that's another story and I have no granite paving either :lol:

All I said was that Dandara houses are characterless & likely to look a lot more tatty in 50 years time than houses which have stood for centuries.

How you get from that to me decrying all modern efficient new builds is a mystery to me. Some new builds are full of character & built to a high standard with materials that will stand the test of time. Dandara's are not amongst them, you only need to look at how many of them have lost entire roofs in the wind to see that.

And all the cracks in the render, it's their trademark.

Is Chinese granite on special offer?

Yes - Howard Quayle is detouring there on his way back from New Zealand to pick up another couple of thousand tons which he'll bring back inside his ego.

I was down there yesterday and the granite looks terrible in that setting

My objection is not with the scheme itself but the actual granite surface, if it were done in something more apt we could have a station to be proud of

As pointed out in this thread, there is plenty of locally available stone

The lousy build quality of earlier 'modern' housing on the Island were 100% down to lack of adequate building codes and the builders taking advantage of that and using crap construction methods and materials.

Decent builders would have not done so.

Now go figure.

A year or so ago one of the building companies said as much, I remember the spokeswoman (?) saying that they have had to improve quality.

They would say that though wouldn't they - some over the most recent developments are of terrible quality.

Yes - Howard Quayle is detouring there on his way back from New Zealand to pick up another couple of thousand tons which he'll bring back inside his ego.

I hope he's accounted for the fact that they are sold in Yuan..... we wouldn't want any currency exchange cock ups like we did with the granite from Norway, would we?

I hope he's accounted for the fact that they are sold in Yuan..... we wouldn't want any currency exchange cock ups like we did with the granite from Norway, would we?

Is that Yuan Watterson by any chance? Incidentally, I apologise unreservedly for the flippant remark I made in an early post on this thread suggesting that the works didn't matter as this was only Laxey. I assure you that was a joke. What isn't a joke is the catastrophic urban devastation wreaked on a once charming Victorian tram station. I was in Laxey today (for the first time in many, many months) and holy fucking shit what an abomination. Incredibly, I see that supercilious bag of crap Rodan, as chair of Laxey Regeneration Committee, is quoted on IOM Newspapers "respectfully" asking people to wait until the works are concluded before passing judgement. Er... no thanks Steve, why don't you respectfully fuck off and explain to the residents how you permitted the granite monster to shit all over their beautiful tram station?

Actually, it's probably Rodan who is shitting himself now because although a pompous cartoon jock with an ego bigger than his intellect, he's just bright enough to realize that a three dimensional vote-losing machine is now sitting in the heart of Laxey village. When the election campaign hots up just wait for the "they made me do it" excuse.

Voters of Garff... Do yourself a favour... Lose the fat-boy vandal.

Archived