Laxey Station

cheeky boy

Hideous. But worse than that, the whole attraction of things like the MER is the package, not just a few antiquated electric trams, it's the stations and their being an anachronism and that is what should be maintained. What has been done to Laxey station, IMO the gem of the whole MER system, is nothing short of vandalism by fools.

I don't think I've ever agreed with anything you've ever posted on here before.

What he said (Since we are doing this now)

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it looks clean, modern & will suit the high speed team network the Island needs once these ridiculous steam trains, horse trams & MER bone shakers are ****ed off for good.

>I think it looks clean...

For now, maybe.

But how long before a bubble gum cleaning machine is needed to keep it that way?

And who could possibly afford the £120k +vat to buy such a machine?

post-35120-0-91689300-1425743270.jpg

TBT.

The money came from the £12 million government regeneration fund set up for towns & villages to improve things like pavements, signage and street lights

What seems to have happened here is that Laxey regen committee were working on a plan for improvements and at some stage Longworth appeared with David Millar from Dalrymle assc. they had the MER scheme ready to go and wanted to tie it in with Laxey, I presume to have access to funding which they otherwise may not have got

I believe that plans for Laxey village are have still not been agreed upon, meanwhile the station has gone ahead using the regen fund.

Please correct me if any of this is innacurate

The money came from the £12 million government regeneration fund set up for towns & villages to improve things like pavements, signage and street lights

What seems to have happened here is that Laxey regen committee were working on a plan for improvements and at some stage Longworth appeared with David Millar from Dalrymle assc. they had the MER scheme ready to go and wanted to tie it in with Laxey, I presume to have access to funding which they otherwise may not have got

I believe that plans for Laxey village are have still not been agreed upon, meanwhile the station has gone ahead using the regen fund.

Please correct me if any of this is innacurate

Well they are doing the Rose Garden. Trouble is that they seem to be covering a lot of the "garden" with the Chinese slabs so I'm not sure it's my idea of an improvement. Again, it isn't finished so we wait to see the finished article. There will at least be a very nice display of Chinese granite.

I like the look to what I've seen so far, why are people so attached to grotty old chipping that were unpleasant to walk on never mind push a wheelchair or pram. I also like the look of Strand Street as it's about time an effort was made to make the Island look clean and smart instead of the tatty worn out pavements we have at present.

@ Ta laue y jouyl ayn :-

Maybe a salient question before any spending on beautification takes place should be based on a cost / benefit analysis. With the state of the Manx reserves and economy any and all spending really should be based on what gives the best return on the spend.

The bruitilisation of the treasure that Laxey MER station was is criminal. The place should have been 'listed'.

I also like the look of Strand Street as it's about time an effort was made to make the Island look clean and smart instead of the tatty worn out pavements we have at present.

I've not seen much effort in Strand Street. Couple of hi-vis jackets standing around watching one guy with a nylon hammer putting one block down an hour.

I like the look to what I've seen so far, why are people so attached to grotty old chipping that were unpleasant to walk on never mind push a wheelchair or pram. I also like the look of Strand Street as it's about time an effort was made to make the Island look clean and smart instead of the tatty worn out pavements we have at present.

A Dandara house looks clean and smart & has all the light switches and sockets where they can be easily reached from a wheel chair.

They also have zero character and will look a hell of a lot more tatty & worn out in 50 years time than buildings that have stood for centuries.

Why? Because they are built with one objective in mind - to make Dandara the maximum amount of profit.

The same can be said for Laxey, Ramsey and other regeneration schemes around the island, except the profits being maximised are those of

Grandmaster Darylmple and other favoured contractors who are earning millions out of throwing a bit of patio stone with LED lights around our town

centres.

I also like the look of Strand Street as it's about time an effort was made to make the Island look clean and smart instead of the tatty worn out pavements we have at present.

I've not seen much effort in Strand Street. Couple of hi-vis jackets standing around watching one guy with a nylon hammer putting one block down an hour.

The cost of the stuff, I want them to spend at least an hour putting each one down.

Beecroft has supposedly told the critics where to get off, but strange it doesn't seem to feature much on the opinions pages laugh.png

So basically it's to improve wheelchair access. The same thing could have been achieved by laying a path across the gravel with flagstones from Dreemskerry Quarry.

It would have been a lot more sympathetic and could have been done for about 100th of the cost.

A Dandara house looks clean and smart & has all the light switches and sockets where they can be easily reached from a wheel chair.

They also have zero character and will look a hell of a lot more tatty & worn out in 50 years time than buildings that have stood for centuries.

Why? Because they are built with one objective in mind - to make Dandara the maximum amount of profit.

The same can be said for Laxey, Ramsey and other regeneration schemes around the island, except the profits being maximised are those of

Grandmaster Darylmple and other favoured contractors who are earning millions out of throwing a bit of patio stone with LED lights around our town

centres.

>...to make Dandara the maximum amount of profit.

Well, yeh, but since Buster's failed attempt at appointing the Nation's Favourite Chef in conjunction with the Tynan, Nugent, Woodford trio; Dandara profits haven't been quite so healthy as forecast.

Naturally, something's gotta give...

TBT.

Archived