Laxey Station

cheeky boy

I'm reading loads about the granite work and can only say that I think there's more than a few people who like the smells and the roughness of the place as if time stood still and I'd quite imagine that they wouldn't mind getting their feet dirty to be taking part in something unique and unspoilt from the past.

Bit like owning a new shiny rough terrain bike and knowing that for the next few hours, you're going to go through all the trails you can for the sheer enjoyment of that participation.

Both similar things and each route has its own personal experience.

No, some folk cannot come to terms with change.

I love all the old Manx things and grew up with the steam trains, but things need fixing and updating sometimes and Laxey station is one of them I'm afraid.

I can't think of any other place where one has to walk through gravel and mud to catch a tram or train.

H&S is quite often just bullshit, but sometimes it is needed.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How very dare these people try to change what we have had for 100+ years.

Jesus, fancy wanting to replace shitty gravel and mud with clean and neat stone that will last for years and enable those that use wheelchairs, pushchairs, walking sticks or even high heels to get safely to and from the trams. Bastards.

I am sometimes ashamed to be classed as Manx, when I read such crap as what is in this thread!

You are Ian Longworth and I claim my £600,000 of savings.

I don't agree and we will have to agree to disagree on this one

I'm gonna disagree just for the hell of it.

Are you disagreeing with their agreement to disagree or disagreeing with Manxy not agreeing and proposing a disagreed agreement?

Are you disagreeing with their agreement to disagree or disagreeing with Manxy not agreeing and proposing a disagreed agreement?

If I disagreed for the hell of it and agreed on the fun of it, does that counteract the agree-ability of it all?

How very dare these people try to change what we have had for 100+ years.

Jesus, fancy wanting to replace shitty gravel and mud with clean and neat stone that will last for years and enable those that use wheelchairs, pushchairs, walking sticks or even high heels to get safely to and from the trams. Bastards.

I am sometimes ashamed to be classed as Manx, when I read such crap as what is in this thread!

Sorry for pointing out your absolute stupidity but as someone who has pushed both a pram and a wheelchair round Laxey station in the past it was no problem. Getting on and off the tram was however near impossible so making it better for disabled users without improving access to the tram itself is a nonsense.

I'm just disagreeable,full stop.

It does look good & very well done - apart from the granite, there are endless other hard wearing wheelchair friendly surfaces they could have used which would have been much more sympathetic than imported granite, even tarmac would only have come from Stoney Mountain.

Oh and at a wild guess it will have cost at least 7 times what it should have done.

Has any of the members of government got shares in the company that are laying this stuff ? if they have I am sure the dividends must be good thumbsup.gif

What is the future maintenance cost of these paving schemes when they get slippery and take a few oap scalps ?

No doubt a canny little company will be getting awarded the contract to jet wash this stuff on a regular basis, Got to keep the brethren in work now sorcerer.gif

Has any of the members of government got shares in the company that are laying this stuff ? if they have I am sure the dividends must be good :thumbsup:

What is the future maintenance cost of these paving schemes when they get slippery and take a few oap scalps ?

No doubt a canny little company will be getting awarded the contract to jet wash this stuff on a regular basis, Got to keep the brethren in work now :sorcerer:

Posted 07 March 2015 - 09:15 AM

I only wish that I had shares in this granite slabs company. Apparently the whole Island is to be covered by it. We're sunk, and even Phil Gawne's rock armour cannot save us.

It does look good & very well done - apart from the granite, there are endless other hard wearing wheelchair friendly surfaces they could have used which would have been much more sympathetic than imported granite, even tarmac would only have come from Stoney Mountain.

Oh and at a wild guess it will have cost at least 7 times what it should have done.

Tar lakes on Stoney Mountain. You learn something new every day,I guessbiggrin.png

Archived